Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

Old July 5th 12, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I started this thread originally, and my original question has long
since been answered. Not sure why this thread is still going.

No thread can end without flames. 8)

Old July 5th 12, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.

2GB of RAM, on the video card!

Old July 5th 12, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:08:13 -0500, chrisv wrote:

wrote:

Never left .chips, just been lurking for five years, or so, though. x86 is so
last century. ;-)

It's certainly less interesting. "More cores." Yawn.

My almost 6-year-old Core 2 Duo E6400 (overclocked to 2.66 GHz! 8)
still performs close-enough to the latest-and-greatest to not matter,
for me.

I've completely switched to laptops. I have parts for two systems, one still
sitting in the closet. I never put them together. The intention was to run
Linux on one but I couldn't get it booted. GDR

In the good-old-days (or were they the bad-old days) I was building a
new machine every two years like clockwork.

I was building a lot more than that. But then again, I was getting paid to do
it. ;-)

There's still some interesting action in the video card area. I
recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.

Why? I'm not a gamer. The lamest modern graphics is good enough. I do like
big displays (note the plural), though.
Old July 5th 12, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:08:46 -0500, chrisv wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I started this thread originally, and my original question has long
since been answered. Not sure why this thread is still going.

No thread can end without flames. 8)

With flames, it cannot end. ;-)
Old July 5th 12, 09:11 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"chrisv" added:
chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.

2GB of RAM, on the video card!

Hmmm... Check with Crucial. They might have an upgrade kit for that.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 5th 12, 11:51 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:11:32 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:

"chrisv" added:
chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.

2GB of RAM, on the video card!

Hmmm... Check with Crucial. They might have an upgrade kit for that.

*TimDaniels*

Unlikely.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old July 6th 12, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.
2GB of RAM, on the video card!

Hmmm... Check with Crucial. They might have an upgrade kit for that.

*TimDaniels*

Unlikely.

I interpreted that as a little humor on Tims part :-)

RAM chips are soldered down on modern video cards.

My old Matrox, with like 2MB of video RAM on it, had a socket
for more RAM. But that was eons ago. When dinosaurs ruled
the skies.

Paul
Old July 6th 12, 08:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Paul" opined:
Gene E. Bloch wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

"chrisv" added:
chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.
2GB of RAM, on the video card!
Hmmm... Check with Crucial. They might have an upgrade kit for that.

*TimDaniels*

Unlikely.

I interpreted that as a little humor on Tims part :-)

Hell, NO! Zallman is coming out with water cooled heatsinks
for the denser RAM chips! :-)

*TimDaniels*

Old July 6th 12, 03:29 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

Gene E. Bloch wrote:

Timothy Daniels wrote:

"chrisv" added:
chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.

2GB of RAM, on the video card!

Hmmm... Check with Crucial. They might have an upgrade kit for that.

Unlikely.

I believe that he was joking.

Old July 6th 12, 07:30 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:29:50 -0500, chrisv wrote:

Gene E. Bloch wrote:

Timothy Daniels wrote:

"chrisv" added:
chrisv wrote:

I recently spoiled my daughter with a $360 (yikes) AMD 7870 card.

2GB of RAM, on the video card!

Hmmm... Check with Crucial. They might have an upgrade kit for that.

Unlikely.

I believe that he was joking.

Could be.

I didn't recognize the poster's name, and sillier things have been said
in great earnestness.

But then, funnier things have fooled me in the past :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)