suggestion's needed to lock a partition

Old April 17th 04, 10:12 AM
arvind

Default suggestion's needed to lock a partition

Hi,
I'm having a 6.1 Gb Fujitsu HDD. This drive was given to me by a
friend stating that it was not being detected by the BIOS or the OS
(Windows98se).

After using HDD regenerator I was able to recover the drive. I,
later used the Fdisk, Format and the Scandisk commands to further test
the drive. It turned out that most of the first 1 Gb was having bad
sectors. I created two partitions in the HDD. The first one a 1 Gb
(which is almost full of bad sectors) and the second one of 5.1 Gb
(which is totally clean). The Fdisk utility made the first one the
Primary Dos and the second one the Extended partition.

Here my question's are, Is it possible through some method/utility
to lock the first partition so that it is not seen by the BIOS? If I
open the HDD and inter-change the platters would it help?

My aim is to make the second partition the C drive so that I could
install the OS onto it and put the drive to use.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old April 18th 04, 08:45 PM
arvind

Are you sure that the Primary Dos Partition (1 GB) still contains the bad sectors?

Yup, I'm positive about that. (Maybe some of the bad sectors are not
recoverable).

I, used Partition Magic and have been able to hide the 1 GB partition.
As of now, the partition is not showing at boot and the second
partition has been set to Active and hence it's showing as C:\ drive.

I, think the problem has been solved, but only time will tell.

Anyways, I, would still wellcome any further suggestions.

Thanks

Problem upgrading HDD Jeff General 9 August 20th 05 09:37 PM
4Gb unknown partition on new Dimension 4600 Craig Jackson Dell Computers 13 December 1st 04 08:35 PM
PCI Lock. is it really needed? Wes Newell AMD x86-64 Processors 5 May 8th 04 05:00 PM
Boot to second partition fails Navid Homebuilt PC's 1 February 11th 04 10:28 PM
7MB Unallocated HD Space? Wouter Homebuilt PC's 0 July 20th 03 09:47 PM