E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

Old December 10th 16, 06:19 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

I have a Dell E510 that has been running Windows 7 Ultimate fine for a
while. I put it on the shelf in October 2015, and brought it back out
last night. I forgot the password, so I used the Dell supplied OS
disk, went into repair, and used the sethc.exe method to reset the
password:

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-t...otten-windows-
password-the-easy-way/

This worked, but now the monitor power light goes from green to orange
(power saving mode), the keyboard lights go out, and the mouse light
goes out. I can hear the power supply fan still going. Thinking it may
have been a problem with the discrete video card, I removed it and set
to use the onboard video. Same problem. The problem also exists in all
Safe Modes.

Funny, though, as long as I don't enter my new password, the thing stays
on. That is, it will sit there forever asking me to enter my password,
but as soon as I do, everything goes out either immediately after
hitting Enter, or a few seconds after the desktop comes up. I've tried
a different monitor, too, but same problem.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old December 10th 16, 10:25 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message that
flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went black. I took a
video of it with my cell phone, and watched the particular two frames
that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

How in the world do I change this if I can't get into the desktop?
Old December 10th 16, 10:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 4:26:36 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

Can you start up the E510 in safe mode (F8)? Once in safe mode, change the resolution there. Apparently it was originally used with a different monitor.

I usually remove Windows login passwords with this:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

You can download and run it from a CD (obsolete), floppy (even more onsolete) or a bootable flash stick. Download the latest ISO and use RUFUS or YUMI to set up the flash stick.
Old December 10th 16, 11:01 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_28_]

Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

On an LCD monitor, the OSD is supposed to display
"Out of Range" when the resolution or refresh is wrong.
A typical "problem" is the Refresh getting set to 150Hz
by a corruption of some kind. The normal LCD refresh is
60Hz.

*******

Safe Mode gets you in (F8),
but I don't know what to do when you get there :-(

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...safe-mode.html

The thing is, there are a couple different places
in the Registry where display resolutions are held,
and I don't have a good technical reference web page
to offer you on the topic.

Even if you uninstall a video driver, the resolution
info is not removed or corrected. So trying a video
driver won't help. But it's the only obvious
option to try.

Paul
Old December 11th 16, 12:38 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

On this particular Dell model:
F2 is Safe Mode, etc
F12 is Setup

.. I was able to get into Safe Mode, and the desktop came up, I right
clicked on an empty spot on the desktop and left clicked Resolution, and
the Resolution applet came up. I was able to set to 1280 x 1024,
default refresh. I was able to roam all over, and the desk worked fine.
But, when I restarted, it went dark at the desktop. Back to Safe Mode,
I was able to see the proper resolution was still active.

Think I'm ready to System Restore to July 2015.
Old December 11th 16, 01:25 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_28_]

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

I'm surprised the OS hasn't erased that restore point.

There is supposed to be some time limit on them.

Since the machine has been sitting in storage, there
is probably no harm done by using the last restore
point it made before sitting on the shelf.

And using System Restore, is a good way of getting
a non-corrupted copy of the Registry. That's one of
the benefits of System Restore points.

Now, one problem is, if you do it from Safe Mode,
you cannot undo it again. If you want a "safety solution",
use your Macrium Reflect CD and back up the drive
to an external drive. If you don't like what the
System Restore did to the machine from Safe Mode,
you may need to reload from the backup. Not that
things can get any worse than they are right now...

Personally, I'd rather fix the Registry, except
I wasn't able to find any decent documentation
on the registry locations.

Paul
Old December 11th 16, 01:25 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
VanguardLH[_2_]

Boris on 2016/12/10 wrote:

Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

Presumably you elected to keep the resolution instead of just test it.
Do you know what is the maximum resolution of your LCD monitor? That
should also be its native resolution and what you you want to use.

If Windows' safe mode lets you log in okay, disable all startup programs
and test booting Windows into normal mode and logging in. You could use
msconfig.exe to disable startup programs. You can select them one by
one or just use the option to start up cleanly. Could be you have a
startup program causing the problem.
Old December 11th 16, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Ben Myers wrote in
:

[...]

Yep,it was running an ATI Radeon card with a digital 19" LG TR1933
monitor. My son set it up to play games. I tried the ATI/LG monitor,
but still no luck..

I usually remove Windows login passwords with this:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Thanks, Ben

Old December 11th 16, 05:22 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pjp[_5_]

In article , lid says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

I thought the idea was to enter safe mode and select the lowest res
allowed. Then boot back into normal mode which should also load that low
res and then up it to what you want, e.g. set it to 800x600 in safe mode
and assuming you then get a screen under normal mode try upping res
until it stops working. If it's not what you expect at that point you
can diagnose further. I've had to do that a few times years ago mucking
with video cards and monitors before hardware worked itself out.

You might also try deleting the video driver under Device manager in
safe mode and see what happens when it redetects video card when booted
normally.
Old December 11th 16, 11:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 11:21:49 PM UTC-5, pjp wrote:
In article , lid says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:

[...]