Help: Two Sided Printing

Old September 24th 07, 03:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gary Tait

Default Two Sided Printing

Searcher7 wrote in news:1190601911.197398.247690
@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

2) Doesn't one need a "duplex" printer in order to take advantage of
"duplex" software?

Nope. The software is to manage duplex manual printing. All sheet feed
printers can do it.

A duplex printer simply has a mechansim to automatically refeed a printed
sheet back through, upside down, to print on the backside.

What the software it basically does is print the even pages in natural
order, you flip the bunch around and refeed into the printer, and it
prints the odd pages in reverse order, ending with page 1 on top. Or
something like that.
Old September 24th 07, 06:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article . com,
Searcher7 wrote:

2) Doesn't one need a "duplex" printer in order to take advantage of
"duplex" software?

Darren-

Whether your printer driver supports manual duplex printing, or you use
a program to sort it out, you should be able to print documents on two
sides. It may take a little practice with small documents to get the
hang of it.

My latest printer has a duplexer that works like a charm. However it is
quite slow compared to single-sided printing. If I want to print a 100+
page duplex document, I start it printing and go eat lunch! It would be
faster to print odd or even pages first, and then put the stack back in
the tray to print the other side.

Fred
Old September 26th 07, 01:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Default Help: Two Sided Printing

I recently bought a used HP 970c inkjet printer, which was originally
bundled with a duplexer (I think). Bob Headrick clued me in that it can
be used with my other two HP inkjet models; at the moment, it's on a 940c.

I became immediately addicted to it, and can't imagine living without
one. I like the fact that it saves a lot of paper, which translates into
cost, and especially space. It's handy when I print out certain web
pages that run just over a page in length; I don't have to futz with the
printout -- so it saves time, too.

The device has worked flawlessly so far. It runs slowly enough so that
it doesn't misfeed the paper. I leave it on all the time because it's a
bit of a pain to set the software for one or the other mode. There's a
time loss, too, because the software imparts a "timeout" to allow the
ink to dry before doing its side-flipping magic. Working
one-page-at-a-time, the device saves time and errors that can occur from
hand-feeding pages for duplexing manually.

Well, you can tell that I'm hooked.

Richard
Old September 30th 07, 06:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

On Sep 25, 8:06 pm, Richard Steinfeld
wrote:
[...]

I'm really getting desperate.

It was difficult enough copying the page from online to my computer.
Notepad couldn't hold the entire page and when I tried to copy it to
WordPad all I'd get were squiggly lines. So while creating multiple
Notepads so I could copy the page something happened. One of the
Notepads converted itself to what looks like a simple version of
WordPad and allowed me to paste all of the text I needed copied.(The
Icon however is a Notepad icon).

I don't know how to transfer it to Adobe Acrobat, and even if I did I
I can't find any options for manual duplex printing.

***Also, I need to print out each page as is without the wors wrapping
around.

I downloaded something called TxtPrint, but I can't get it to work.(I
have WindowsMe).

Under "File" in Word there is "Print", and ""Print Preview", and "Page
Setup". If I hit "Print" it immediately prints. I'm given no other
options.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old September 30th 07, 06:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

wrote:
[...]

Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

Wait, I think I found something.

There is actually another option. After I click "Print", I get another
pop-up that has a
Properties" tab. When I click that, there is another pop-up with "More
Options". When I click that I get one last pop-up that does say
"Printing on both sides (duplex printing)".

Can anyone tell me the difference between "Flip on long edge" and
"Flip on short edge"?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old September 30th 07, 12:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Laura Conrad

"Searcher7" == Searcher7 writes:

Searcher7 Can anyone tell me the difference between "Flip on long
Searcher7 edge" and "Flip on short edge"?

Imagine you were writing on the paper, and you get to the end of the
first side and want to move to the second side.

You have to turn the paper over to do that, but you hae two choices:

If you're on a tablet that's bound on the top, you have to flip
around the top edge.

If you're on a notebook that's bound on the side, you have to flip
around the left edge.

But your printer paper isn't bound at all, so what the printer wants
to know is whether to flip on the long edge or the short edge.

So if you're in portrait mode, with the long edge on the left, you
will in general want to "flip on long edge", unless you want to bind
the pages at the top, in which case you will flip on short edge.

If you're in landscape mode, you'll want to "flip on short edge" if
you're binding on the side, and "flip on short edge" if you're binding
on the top.

--
Laura , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011
Old September 30th 07, 06:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

On Sep 30, 7:46 am, Laura Conrad wrote:
[...]

Ok. Thanks a lot.

I spent the last couple of hours practicing/experimenting with a 6
page document and coming to the realization that no form of duplexing
can be done with my printer. The duplexing option does nohing at all,
so obviously it was only meant to be used with a duplexing printer.
And useless also is the even/odd option I found. For instance, it will
print page 1,5, and then 3 for no apparent reason. And the printer has
started grabbing the next page before the previous page is taken
resulting in a single page over two pieces of paper. And it is also
printing only portions of the text(ie: first paragraph and nothing
else) on some pages. And that is just in WordPad. And these problems
only manifest themselves when I attempt these extra "options". My
printer works fine when prining normally. ?!?

Now, in the WordPad/Notepad hybrid that has the actual document I need
to print out there is no even/odd option at all.

And I still need to figure out how to make the text small enough so
that long sentences do not wrap around and start new lines. In other
words, I want to print out the way the text is displayed whe I open
the document.

Going by how much it is to get a single print-out made at a copy
store, 200 pages would be cost prohibitive. So it looks like I'll have
to take several hours doing one page at a time. Which I wouldn't be
able to do anyway because the WordPad/Notepad document has no page
separation/numbers. It is just one huge page.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old October 1st 07, 07:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Just a couple of comments:
1. The HP software that I downloaded for my 940c inkjet comes with
controls that allow the user to set the mode for flipping around either
one way or the other (top or side.

2. The two programs you've mentioned -- Notepad and Wordpad -- I believe
have been intended from the get-go to be frustrating; they've been
equipped with "gotchas" that have been carried through one version of
Windows after another without relief. Notepad doesn't even follow the
standard text deletion conventions that have been standard in word
processors since the dawn of WordStar!

I think that what you need is either a "real" word processing program,
or a "text editor:" the type of program that's used by programmers. This
name is maddening because these programs are optimized for code, not
true text.

I am using one free program right now that's more civilized than most,
and I have gone pretty crazy trying to find a decent one. It's called
"Edxor"

http://freezip.cjb.net/freeware/

At this time, the print functions may not do what you want. Hopefully a
future version will be tweaked to pagination, fonts, heads/foots etc. right.

But typically programs of this type will give you an option to either
wrap or print straight across.

Richard
Old October 2nd 07, 05:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

"Richard Steinfeld"
wrote in message

[snip]

: : I am using one free program right now that's more
: : civilized than most,
: : and I have gone pretty crazy trying to find a decent
: : one. It's called "Edxor"
: :
: : http://freezip.cjb.net/freeware/
: :
: : At this time, the print functions may not do what you
: : want. Hopefully a future version will be tweaked to
: : pagination, fonts, heads/foots etc. right.
: :
: : But typically programs of this type will give you an
: : option to either
: : wrap or print straight across.
: :
: : Richard

A good (shareware, not free but reasonably priced) alternative to the
Windoze Notepad is Another Notepad - get it he
http://www.pcshareware.com/anotepad.htm

Ivor
(no connection just a very satisfied user)

Old October 7th 07, 03:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

On Oct 2, 12:57 pm, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
"Richard t wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

Ok, I figured out how to make the print smaller. I changed the font
format to "LinePrinter". The document is now 86 pages long. I have no
choice and will have to do this manually, one shee at a time. But now
I have run into another problem. I can't get the HP 2100TN printer to
work using tray #1(The top tray).

I clicked StartSettingsPrinters, and then right clicked on the "HP
LaserJet 2000" icon, and then clicked the "paper" tab. At the "Paper
Source" drop down menu I highlighted "Upper Tray".

In the WordPad document itself I clicked FilePrintProperties, and
also highlighted "upper tray" in the "Paper Source" drop down menu.

I put a sheet of paper in the fold down printer door and clicked
print, but nothing at all happens.

Have I missed something?

Thanks.

Darren Harris