Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro Soundblaster 7.1 stops working after recent windows 7 update.

Old June 29th 15, 11:18 PM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro Soundblaster 7.1 stops working after recent windows 7 update.

I de-installed the 3 updates, and left the 5 security updates on it to try
and safe some time.

The audio/sound is still not working.

It's starting to seem that somehow these updates overwrote some driver files
of the x-fi elite pro soundblaster ?

Perhaps a name-space conflict ?

Other explanations could be possible to, maybe somehow a file got corrupted
by bad sector or so but that seems somewhat unlikely... could also have been
another application or so... or perhaps electrical issue.

I will now continue with de-installing the last 5 security updates to see if
that fixes the problem or not.

If it doesn't help... I will re-install all updates and then re-install part
of the x-fi drivers/updates to see if that helps.

If that fails.. then fortunately I have iso's on my harddisk of x-fi driver
cd's so it should be a snap to re-install them fully if necessary, I hope it
doesn't come to that though.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 29th 15, 11:26 PM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Some more note worthy weird behaviours of Microsoft Windows 7:

1. The update which I suspect was evil has strangly enough re-installed
itself without my permission or approval.

The funny thing is the date went from 29/6/2015 to 30/6/2015 so I caught
them red-handed !

I am 100% I de-installed it... since it's date was 29/6/2015... but
apperently Microsoft Windows 7 now secretly re-installs itself without
anybody's approval !

Bad Microsoft !

2. Windows Live Mail fail to start while de-installing some of the security
patches/updates.

Had to terminate two instances of wlmail.exe...

After de-install and starting windows live mail it worked again.

Now I am going to de-install the last 4... and also the suspected evil
one... once again...

To try and bring my system back to previous state before updates... just out
of curiosity to see what happens.

Will Microsoft Windows 7 be able to "roll-back" my system via
de-installments (without requiring expensive re-store points) to a previous
working system... or it will have caused damaged.

I suspect the later...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 29th 15, 11:42 PM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

1. I de-installed all recent windows 7 updates from 29 june 2015. I also
made sure no updates were selected for installement.

This did not fix the audio situations.

I do notice the system booting real fast now... could be related to
disabling realtek audio 97 chip.

2. I did notice my computer would turn on if I turned on the 7.1 denon
receiver.

Or when my mother moved the mouse while cleaning... yes my mammie helped me
but she won't come again... it was just temporarely...

Anyway there is a possibility of some weird kind of electrical failure...
and because my system is now booting pretty rapidly anyway... I am going to
unplug all cables... shut everything... drain the system basically...

and then re-plug everything... and then boot again... just to rule out any
electrical interference/weirdness.

Also the breakout box was blinking a lot with red lights lately... had to
move it quite a bad to prevent it's reception of illegal/unwanted signals.

Perhaps all the mobile/wireless traffic energy might have ended up in the
system somehow and causing troubles...

I also unplugged and re-plug one of the mic-lines at the back to plug in my
headphone and or 7.0 system while system was on and maybe audio slightly
playing or maybe not... not too smart to do that...

However again... the problems only started occuring after windows update...

So electrical issue seems unlikely... but I'd like to rule it out just in
case...

So that's what I am going to do first...

And once that's done and it didn't help then I am going to reinstall all the
updates... and then later the driver...

The console complained once that it could not find a certain file... which
makes me believe somehow a file was either not loaded... or overwritten or
deleted...

Kinda weird.

If true it does seem like a serious problem... if I reinstall the audio
driver it might overwrite a critical system file... but hopefully that will
either not occur because it ain't true... or a warning screen will be given
? or maybe not... maybe windows doesn't warn if system files are about to be
overwritten ? I never tried ? or can't remember ? I think they are
protected though...

So shutting everything down right now...

(I expect the re-install of the sounds drivers to work... if that doesn't
help... I am going to FREAK OUT ! =D)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 30th 15, 12:06 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

I can rule out an electrical issue mostly... the problem remains, this is
what I did though to rule out electrical problem:

1. I unplugged all power cables.

2. Then took a ****

3. Then re-plugged them.

I turned on the devices as follows:

1. First lamp/tv/cable modem

2. Then monitor

3. Then receiver

4. Then PC.

(the monitor is plugged in as the farthest in the power box).

The strange thing is the monitor did not detect the signal properly and
could not display anything. The monitor would also not turn off anymore...
which could further indicated a weird electrical or software glitch.

Which I considered to be a weird electrical anomoly or simply a software
glitch inside the monitor.

I knew the PC was booting and did not went to interrupt it's power supply...

So I figured out which power cable belongs to monitor and then I simply
pulled out that cable and plugged it back in.

This time the Monitor could display the windows 7 boot screen and I just
tested the power button and it also works.

Surprisingly enough to me the computer did boot normal.. so not a full
electrical weird thing... I also noticed it's almost full moon outside !

For now I will have to assume a big fok up by Microsoft Windows 7 Updates...
apperently it does not check if it overwrites driver files ?!

Another explanation could be a configuration change... perhaps not all
necessary files are being loaded, but I think all that needed to be loaded
are loaded... I check via running msconfig... selective bootup and such
which I just the way I want it... not all devices and all drivers and
such... just the ones that matter.

For now I will have to assume a nuked installation of x-fi elite pro
soundblaster driver files.

I will now attempt to re-store this but after I install all the updates.

So two things left to do:

1. Re-install the 8 updates.

2. Re-install x-fi update.

if 2 fails, re-install complete x-fi driver.

Needless to say Microsoft caused another one of my nights to be wasted on
this... but this time I took a very thorough investigation of this.

Hopefully my steps above will restore the sound/situation.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 30th 15, 12:32 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

I let windows update recheck for windows updates to find the ones that were
de-installed.

They just finished re-installing.

Now I will try and re-install the x-fi update driver.

It's now 1:32 am in the night... I started hunting down this problem at
23:02

So I already spent 2 hours and 30 minutes on it !

Yikes !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 30th 15, 01:06 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Well I have some good news:

Re-installing the X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 update driver fixed the problem.

I also had to re-selection speaker selection to swap left and subwoofer.

All problems now seem solved... boot was still fast... I do notice console a
bit slower... but that's probably because svchost.exe still taking up 50%
cpu which should go away soon.

The exact driver I installed was:

"SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0004.exe"

I have no reason to believe that this is not the correct one... I think I
already deleted all bad ones long ago.

I didn't bother checking for any updates on the web... the website was slow
as previously mentioned... maybe I'll do that sometime in the future.

For now I am relieved/happy that the problem is fixed... even though it took
long... but this time I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

I am still not exactly sure what happened but I suspect somehow some X-Fi
driver files got deleted ?!

I suspect windows update to be the culprit... however maybe it could also be
some x-fi trial software that freaked out... not sure about that... or maybe
disabling/enabling adapters had something to do with it... or maybe even
os-memory-corruption due to bugs or something.

For now I leave you with a nice screenshot showing everything the way it's
supposed to be ! =D and also to prove problem is now fixed/solved:

http://www.skybuck.org/Windows7/XFiS...iverUpdate.png

For now I will keep running my system with realtek audio 97 chip disabled
perhaps this will solve boot freeze forever

Or perhaps it was already solved with an windows update or perhaps fluke of
luck !

Anyway enough time spent on this !

If this problem ever occurs again... I will just re-install drivers.

Also next time: put laundary in washing machine first ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old June 30th 15, 01:10 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

And to celibrate and enjoy my sound system once again I leave you with this
hopefully very much enjoyable link/music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fGOG3XXIQ

In case video goes down scroll way down to see what it was

Spoiler alert:
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

RITA ORA - Poison

Bye,
Skybuck

Old July 2nd 15, 07:12 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Rev. 11D Meow![_2_]

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:18:40 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

[...]

Do you have a license to drive that thing?

When in doubt disable on-board audio, but is not needed to make things
work. I use on-board, usb, bluetooth, and PCIe audio I/O together all
the time and no worries as long as my license to drive it covers how
to.

You have to pay attention to what's in the Windows Sound diaog first,
then **** with you devices specific controller gizmo, not the other
way around. In your audio apps DAW etc. you can point to which
audio/dev/function you want in there, which takes precedence over
Windows sound contol panel settings. You haven't evn started
expressing your expectations from all this foofoo **** you invented to
do.

Rip out everything you've installed for your fancy elite sound card,
especially ALL that **** YOU THOUGHT might work, including Deleting
driver files when asked.
Power-down. Flip the switch off on the back of the power supply so you
keep a ground in the case.
Make sure your fancy sound card is firmly in its slot, by removing it
them placing it into the slot more carefully this time.
Power-up to safe mode.
Does the fancy audio card show with bangs on it in device manager,
yes, good. Install the Latest Correct Drivers and Application kits
SPECIFIC to this fancy sound card from Creative Labs, not some joker
who says he made it all better but ****ed up a bunch of other stuff,
and not a bunch of fluff you think might work.
Let the drivers install completely.
Change you Default Playback and Recording to point to the proper card.
Reboot and make sure the setting stayed.

VIOLA!

working sound.

You seem to be the kind of person that enjoys running all over
yourself then screaming fro helpo when simple troubleshooting works
every time.
Old July 2nd 15, 07:19 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Rev. 11D Meow![_2_]

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 01:32:50 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

I let windows update recheck for windows updates to find the ones that were
de-installed.

They just finished re-installing.

Now I will try and re-install the x-fi update driver.

It's now 1:32 am in the night... I started hunting down this problem at
23:02

So I already spent 2 hours and 30 minutes on it !

Yikes !

Bye,
Skybuck.

WOW!, What a long day to fix a simple problem.
And it isn't even close to getting fixed.

When you get you 2015/2016 system, be sure to get one completely
encased in 1/2" thick epoxy resin so you cannot get into it and do
this **** again to the poor thing.

Old July 2nd 15, 07:20 AM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Rev. 11D Meow![_2_]

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 02:10:51 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

And to celibrate and enjoy my sound system once again I leave you with this
hopefully very much enjoyable link/music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fGOG3XXIQ

In case video goes down scroll way down to see what it was

Spoiler alert:
.

Gosh, but where's the big-ass seven DOT one you were bragging about,
eh?