Can an HP 4 printer destroy a toner cart?

Old November 10th 03, 03:21 PM
Black Burt

Default Can an HP 4 printer destroy a toner cart?

I have two HP 4 Laserjet printers, A & B. Printer A was working great.
Printer B, not so great. Printer B was having a build up of toner on the
drum causing grey stripes across the page. If I cleaned off the drum,
the build up would occur again within a couple of pages.

From searching this group, it appears this is a fairly common problem
caused by a bad toner cartridge. Having two identical printers, I moved
the toner cartridge from A to B, and B started printing great. I moved
the good toner cartridge back to A and now A is
showing the same systems as B. ARGH!!!

The toner is adhering to the page, so I don't think this is a fuser
problem on either printer.

Could there be something wrong with B that it is destroying toner
cartridges? Maybe putting too much torque on them so they are bending and
destroying the pad that wipes off the excess toner or something?
Interestingly enough, both printers are doing it in the same parts of the
page.

Please reply via the group! Thanks!

Old November 13th 03, 04:41 AM
Dewaine Chan

Have not heard of printer damaging the Wiper blade in Toner cartridge. Have
seen poorly remanufactured toner cartridge damaging printers.

Then, there is always a First.
D.

Black Burt wrote:

I have two HP 4 Laserjet printers, A & B. Printer A was working great.
Printer B, not so great. Printer B was having a build up of toner on the
drum causing grey stripes across the page. If I cleaned off the drum,
the build up would occur again within a couple of pages.

From searching this group, it appears this is a fairly common problem

Old November 13th 03, 10:53 PM
Dave

Black Burt wrote:

I have two HP 4 Laserjet printers, A & B. Printer A was working great.
Printer B, not so great. Printer B was having a build up of toner on the
drum causing grey stripes across the page. If I cleaned off the drum,
the build up would occur again within a couple of pages.

From searching this group, it appears this is a fairly common problem
caused by a bad toner cartridge. Having two identical printers, I moved
the toner cartridge from A to B, and B started printing great. I moved
the good toner cartridge back to A and now A is
showing the same systems as B. ARGH!!!

The toner is adhering to the page, so I don't think this is a fuser
problem on either printer.

Could there be something wrong with B that it is destroying toner
cartridges? Maybe putting too much torque on them so they are bending and
destroying the pad that wipes off the excess toner or something?
Interestingly enough, both printers are doing it in the same parts of the
page.

Please reply via the group! Thanks!

My only thought on this is maybe glue from labels on the transfer roller
and/or drum. Moving the cart. from one printer to another has trasferred
the glue onto the other printers trasfer roller. It's only a guess of
course.

I can't say I've ever come across a "bad" tonar cart transferring a fault
into another printer, even when putting the good one back into the 2nd
printer. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Just that I've neither
experienced nor heard of it.

Dave

--
is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.
Old November 14th 03, 03:09 AM
Gordon

On 10 Nov 2003 15:21:51 GMT, Black Burt wrote:

Have you checked the transfer roller? That is the only other item
besides the paper that will touch the optical durm. Also make sure
the print is not having condensation inside the printer, as it will
kill the toner cartridge.

Gordon

I have two HP 4 Laserjet printers, A & B. Printer A was working great.
Printer B, not so great. Printer B was having a build up of toner on the
drum causing grey stripes across the page. If I cleaned off the drum,
the build up would occur again within a couple of pages.

From searching this group, it appears this is a fairly common problem

Old November 18th 03, 01:11 AM
Black Burt

Gordon wrote:

: On 10 Nov 2003 15:21:51 GMT, Black Burt wrote:

: Have you checked the transfer roller? That is the only other item
: besides the paper that will touch the optical durm. Also make sure
: the print is not having condensation inside the printer, as it will
: kill the toner cartridge.

I think you might have hit on something here. The toner cartridge did get
placed outside in ~30 degree temperatures whilst moving it between
printers. I can not remember if I allowed acclimation time before putting
it back into the original printer and using it.

However, if the mere existance of moisture will ruin the cartridge, what
is the proper way to move a toner cartridge between temperature extremes
so they do not get condensate and ruin them?

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this...

Old November 27th 03, 07:21 PM
Nigel Feltham

Black Burt wrote:

Gordon wrote:

: On 10 Nov 2003 15:21:51 GMT, Black Burt wrote:

: Have you checked the transfer roller? That is the only other item
: besides the paper that will touch the optical durm. Also make sure
: the print is not having condensation inside the printer, as it will
: kill the toner cartridge.

I think you might have hit on something here. The toner cartridge did get
placed outside in ~30 degree temperatures whilst moving it between
printers. I can not remember if I allowed acclimation time before putting
it back into the original printer and using it.

However, if the mere existance of moisture will ruin the cartridge, what
is the proper way to move a toner cartridge between temperature extremes
so they do not get condensate and ruin them?

It's not merely the presence of condensation that kills the cartridge but
using the printer while the condensation is present - all you can do is
leave the cartridge in the environment it will be used in for a few hours
before use to allow any condensation to dry (shame laser printers don't
have the dew/condensation sensor that's in most VCR machines).