Lexmark CS410dn - flashing display

Old September 6th 19, 10:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

Default Lexmark CS410dn - flashing display

In recent weeks the display on my Lexmark CS410dn has started flashing
a lot - that is, coming up plain lit then going out, repeatedly, or
going out and relighting with detail on it.

Is there a simple cause for this? Something I could check and reseat?
Or, is there some underlying cause I could check for with, say, a
multimeter?

The printer still performs all printing functions as expected, and I
cannot afford to replace it with anything at present anyway.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail:

Old September 6th 19, 10:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
G. Salisbury

On 9/6/2019 1:01 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 10:17:09 +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:

In recent weeks the display on my Lexmark CS410dn has started flashing
a lot - that is, coming up plain lit then going out, repeatedly, or
going out and relighting with detail on it.

Is there a simple cause for this? Something I could check and reseat?
Or, is there some underlying cause I could check for with, say, a
multimeter?

The printer still performs all printing functions as expected, and I
cannot afford to replace it with anything at present anyway.

No idea. Does the flashing have a pattern, like a steady frequency? If I
would assume it was to tell your something. Consult the manual.

I don't know any thing at all about this printer but these types of
queries always peek my interest.
I put 'Lexmark CS410dn' into a google (did you?) and took an Lexmark hit.
In 'Driver & Downloads' it says there's a "Recommended Firmware Update
(August 2019)".
Have you applied that?
Beyond that, wouldn't Lexmark Customer Support be worth a shot?

Geo.

Old September 7th 19, 02:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Computer Nerd Kev

Phil Reynolds wrote:
In recent weeks the display on my Lexmark CS410dn has started flashing
a lot - that is, coming up plain lit then going out, repeatedly, or
going out and relighting with detail on it.

Is there a simple cause for this? Something I could check and reseat?
Or, is there some underlying cause I could check for with, say, a
multimeter?

The printer still performs all printing functions as expected, and I
cannot afford to replace it with anything at present anyway.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. If it was the printer software
resetting randomly then the printing functions would most likely also
be affected (though I wouldn't rule anything out entirely). Maybe a
loose/corroded power connection to the LCD display, or else a failing
internal power supply powering it. It could also be the circuitry in
the display itself, in which case your only hope is another printer
of the same model to raid for parts. There may be a service manual
online, though I don't know where to look for Lexmark ones.

Don't go poking around the power supply unless you know what you're
doing.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old September 8th 19, 10:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 13:01:40 -0400
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 10:17:09 +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:

In recent weeks the display on my Lexmark CS410dn has started
flashing a lot - that is, coming up plain lit then going out,
repeatedly, or going out and relighting with detail on it.

Is there a simple cause for this? Something I could check and
reseat? Or, is there some underlying cause I could check for with,
say, a multimeter?

The printer still performs all printing functions as expected, and I
cannot afford to replace it with anything at present anyway.

No idea. Does the flashing have a pattern, like a steady frequency?
If I would assume it was to tell your something. Consult the manual.

No pattern. Seems to happen only when busy (startup, or printing).

Old September 8th 19, 10:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 17:09:19 -0400
"G. Salisbury" wrote:

[...]

Just applied. Will see if it makes a difference but it's a strange one
if so.

Beyond that, wouldn't Lexmark Customer Support be worth a shot?

Maybe but their kind of answer usually recommends me spending money.

Old September 8th 19, 10:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 01:26:44 +0000 (UTC)
lid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

Phil Reynolds wrote:
[...]

Indeed, I've not turned up a service manual yet. I'd be a lot happier
to investigate further if I could find one.

Don't go poking around the power supply unless you know what you're
doing.

A worthy warning to the uninitiated, of course. I don't know much about
the internals of these particular printers but such things generally
are within my knowledge.

Old September 9th 19, 08:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 22:07:33 +0100
Phil Reynolds wrote:

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 17:09:19 -0400
"G. Salisbury" wrote:

On 9/6/2019 1:01 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
I don't know any thing at all about this printer but these types of
queries always peek my interest.
I put 'Lexmark CS410dn' into a google (did you?) and took an Lexmark
hit. In 'Driver & Downloads' it says there's a "Recommended Firmware
Update (August 2019)".
Have you applied that?

Just applied. Will see if it makes a difference but it's a strange one
if so.

No difference. It still flashes, losing light before any content is
discernable, or losing content but not light, briefly.

Beyond that, wouldn't Lexmark Customer Support be worth a shot?

Maybe but their kind of answer usually recommends me spending money.

I will see what they say next.

Old September 9th 19, 09:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

lid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. If it was the printer
software resetting randomly then the printing functions would most
likely also be affected (though I wouldn't rule anything out
entirely). Maybe a loose/corroded power connection to the LCD
display, or else a failing internal power supply powering it. It
could also be the circuitry in the display itself, in which case
your only hope is another printer of the same model to raid for
parts. There may be a service manual online, though I don't know
where to look for Lexmark ones.

Indeed, I've not turned up a service manual yet. I'd be a lot
happier to investigate further if I could find one.

Indeed indeed. All I found was a "overview brochure" on Lexmark. I
wonder if they never cared (or anyone else) to produce a PDF covering
all there is about this printer.

I have located a service manual online but there is no guidance on this
fault description. I will ask Lexmark whether any of the described
Operator Panel faults should be treated as occurring.

Old September 9th 19, 09:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

lid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

Phil Reynolds wrote:
[...]

Take a look at:

https://www.laserpros.com/img/manual...-cs410-cs510-c
21312-5027-service-manual.pdf

Found using Google search for lexmark cs410dn service manual. I assume
the "dn" refers to options on your particular printer.

Fred
Old September 9th 19, 09:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 16:22:19 -0400
Fred McKenzie wrote:

Take a look at:

https://www.laserpros.com/img/manual...-cs410-cs510-c
21312-5027-service-manual.pdf

Found using Google search for lexmark cs410dn service manual. I
assume the "dn" refers to options on your particular printer.

Indeed, this looks rather like another one I found, but actually easier
to use.

This model always seems to have the "dn" options... there is a "dtn" as
well, I believe.