External Firewire drive takes 6 hours to copy 36GB

Old October 10th 03, 09:24 PM
David

Default External Firewire drive takes 6 hours to copy 36GB

How long should it take to copy 36GB worth of data from an internal
hard-drive to an external hard-drive via firewire? I know you're not
going to get 400Mbps with drive to drive copying because the PCI BUS
and the hard-drives themselves are a lot slower than that. But 6
hours?? That seems ridiculously long to me. But that's exactly how
long it took me to backup 36GB worth of data to a new external
firewire drive I got today. Does anyone know if that sounds about
right? Or is something seriously wrong with my Firewire setup?
Old October 10th 03, 09:32 PM
Rod Speed

David wrote in message
om...

How long should it take to copy 36GB worth of data from
an internal hard-drive to an external hard-drive via firewire?

If the system is working properly, it should only
be a bit longer than with a pair of internal drives.

I know you're not going to get 400Mbps with drive
to drive copying because the PCI BUS and the
hard-drives themselves are a lot slower than that.

You can in fact get surprisingly high rates with drive cloning with
each drive on its own ribbon cable with Ghost or Drive Image.

But 6 hours?? That seems ridiculously long to me.

Yeah, something is wrong.

But that's exactly how long it took me to backup 36GB
worth of data to a new external firewire drive I got today.

Using what to do the copy program wise ?

Does anyone know if that sounds about right?

Nar, hopeless. You shouldnt get a result like that even
between two PCs with a 100Mb lan between them.

Or is something seriously wrong with my Firewire setup?

Yep, something's stuffed somewhere.

Old October 10th 03, 10:57 PM
Eric Gisin

Did you use xcopy or explorer? Do you know the firewire-ata chip? Oxford is
good.

You should get 10-30MB/s, depending on file size. That's 60-20 mins. I wonder
if write cache is disabled.

om...

Old October 13th 03, 09:46 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"David" wrote in message om...
How long should it take to copy 36GB worth of data from an internal
hard-drive to an external hard-drive via firewire?

I know you're not going to get 400Mbps with drive to drive copying
because the PCI BUS and the hard-drives themselves are a lot slower
than that.

You got that utterly mangled. 400Mbps is around 40MB/s.

But 6 hours?? That seems ridiculously long to me.

Yes, 1.6 MB/s is excessively slow.