Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful, or is this a bug in windows 7.

Old October 13th 20, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful, or is this a bug in windows 7.

Using Win 7 I have a USB dock, and it worked fine before, under win10
and maybe under Vista. Never got this message. Now, maybe because I'm
using win7, every time I plug in the dock, I get this message for every
data partition as it starts up (except an empty partition on a different
drive).

The drive has 4 partitions, 3 that it gives this warning for (not the
smallest one with no partition letter) and I've run the scan like it
suggested for the tiny partition and the smaller one, but it keeps
asking. (The dock has USB3 but the laptop only has USB2. and the large
parttion was taking forever so I stopped it. )

Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful, or is this a
bug in windows 7. The warning says:

"Do you want to scan and fix [this drive]? There might be a problem
with some files on this disc. This can happen if you remove the disc
before all files are written to it. [But I never do that, and certainly
not since the last time I used this dock and ran this scan..]

_ Scan and fix (Recomended). This will prevent future problems when
copying files to this device or disc

_ Continue without scanning.

Can I just routinely continue without scanning?
Old October 13th 20, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
David E. Ross[_2_]

On 10/12/2020 8:04 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

I strongly suspect that is something done by the anti-virus application
on the Windows 7 machine, not by Windows 7 itself. Check the settings
for that application.

In the meantime, if you truly know the prior usage of disc (e.g., no one
has had access to it other than yourself), you know that it has not been
sttached to any other machine except your own, and all those other of
your machines have current, updated anti-virus applications, then it is
safe to skip scanning the drive.

I have one external drive and 6 flash drives that I occasionally plug
into one of my USB ports. I am the only person who handles them. I
reformatted each before beginning to use it. I have three different
anti-virus, anti-malware applications. (However, only one of them is
running in the background. The other two are only used to scan
downloaded files along with the one running in the background.) About
once a month, I plug the external drive and perhaps 1-2 flash drives in
my wife's PC but only after I have scanned her entire system with two
anti-virus, anti-malware applications. No, I do not scan the external
drive or flash drives when I use them.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump told us the
virus would disappear by April. Later, he said it would be gone
when the weather turned hot.

In Ventura County (population less than 850,000), there were
2,134 new COVID-19 infections in September as the temperature
reached 117F. That month, there were also 36 deaths, a persistent
daily death rate through the entire month of 1.2%.

At one time, Trump claimed COVID-19 was a Democrat hoax. Now
Trump has the virus. Schadenfreude!

I don't think COVID-19 will disappear until after Trump disappears.
Old October 13th 20, 08:09 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
R.Wieser

Micky,

Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful,
or is this a bug in windows 7

It may simply be attributed to a different way/location to store the
"correct shutdown of the drive" status - which has been present in earlier
versions of the OS too.

I've got some USB sticks that I formatted and have been using on XP for a
couple of years with zero problems. However, when I plug such a stick into
a Win7 machine I also get a warning and it wants to make sure the stick is
OK (which I deny, as I have no idea if the "fix" part will be compatible
with the sticks usage under XP. Probably will, but I have not bothered to
check).

Can I just routinely continue without scanning?

I think you can. I've not noticed denying the "scan and fix" causing a
problem on either Win7 or XP.

tl;dr:
its not a bug nor are they super carefull. Win7 just can't find that
"correct shutdown of the drive" status, and therfore assumes something went
wrong the last time the drive was shut down.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Old October 13th 20, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:
[...]

You were using Windows 10, and at a minimum, it
could have upset $MFTMIRR on one of the partitions.

Windows 7 CHKDSK will fix that. And silently, so there's
no entry in the log after the run is finished and you've
ticked the box to fix it.

Then, once the partitions are fixed, keep rebooting into
Win7 and everything will be fine.

Then, boot into Windows 10, then boot back to Windows 7
and see what happens. And the problem may come back.
Maybe while in Win10, you can create a new text file on
each NTFS partition, just to give a "stimulus".

Macrium Reflect Free knows there's a problem. I tried
to do a 6.1.1196 backup using th CD and got "Error 9".
It knows something isn't right.

Linux LiveCD will show "$MFTMIRR" errors in "dmesg" output.

Windows 10 can damage $MFTMIRR and Volume Bitmap on NTFS
partitions.

Windows 10 custom reparse points cannot be read by Linux.
On older distros, attempts to poke stuff in System32 might
give "I/O Error", whereas a very recent distro will correct
the error to indicate that Linux is not able to parse
the info. Which is a better sort of error message,
because most punters freak out when they see "I/O Error"
and immediately buy new hard drives :-)

All of the NTFS file system versions are Version 3.1. This
means there should have been *zero* issues if they were
really compatible. However, Microsoft has this bad habit
of pooch screwing - $MFTMIRR, Volume Bitmap, Reparse points
(for custom compression format used for system files to
make the Windows tree smaller), the behaviors aren't backward
compatible. They also do something with Extended Attributes
that I still haven't figured out.

"Windows 10 is the gift that keeps on giving." Like the clap.

If you're not seeing problems when booting back to
Win7, then something must be wrong...

Paul
Old October 13th 20, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

micky wrote:

[...]

You're using a USB dock and get this problem. Does the problem still
occur when you do NOT use the USB, and instead move the USB drive to
connect directly to each computer?

You never mentioned how you unmount the USB drive before unplugging it.
Are you right-clicking on it in Explorer to select "Eject"? Are you
using the hardware wizard icon in the systray to unmount the USB drive
before unplugging it? Just because you aren't using the USB drive
doesn't mean all other software is not. You need to ensure the file
system on the USB drive is quiescent when unplugged.

With the USB drive plugged in and given a drive letter, go into Device
Management (devmgmt.msc), right-click on the drive under the Drives
category, select Properties, and look at the Policies tab. Is the USB
drive configured for quick disconnect (no write caching) or better
performance (write caching enabled)?

One solution that sometimes works is to go into Services (services.msc)
to stop and disable the Shell Hardware Detection service (and reboot).
According to description, this service provides AutoPlay notifications.
Alas, side effects are the Fast User Switching feature is also disabled,
and so is Autoplay (but some users consider this an unsafe "feature",
anyway). The WIA service (Windows Image Acquisition service, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Image_Acquisition) for scanners
and cameras is dependent on the Shell Hardware Detection service. I
don't know what might be other side effects.
Old October 13th 20, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 09:05:03, VanguardLH wrote:
micky wrote:

Using Win 7 I have a USB dock, and it worked fine before, under win10
and maybe under Vista. Never got this message. Now, maybe because I'm
using win7, every time I plug in the dock, I get this message for every
data partition as it starts up (except an empty partition on a different
drive).

The drive has 4 partitions, 3 that it gives this warning for (not the

[]
You're using a USB dock and get this problem. Does the problem still
occur when you do NOT use the USB, and instead move the USB drive to
connect directly to each computer?

[]
I suspect it isn't a USB drive, but an ordinary SATA one. I have such a
dock - a garish red and black thing (also has card-reader slots, though
I've never used them) with its own power brick; connects by USB (2 only,
I think) or eSATA (though in my case I was surprised there didn't seem
to be much speed difference). Has slots into which you can plug a SATA
(laptop or desktop format, it takes both sizes) or (E)IDE drive.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

half the lies they tell about me aren't true. - Yogi Berra
Old October 13th 20, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 20:54:37, David E. Ross
wrote:
[...]

No, it _is_ part of the OS, and isn't to do with viruses - it thinks
files might have been damaged, not infected. I occasionally see the same
with USB memory sticks, especially if they've been moved between
machines running different versions of Windows.

I've _usually_ just said continue without scanning as I'm in a hurry;
occasionally I've let it do the "fix" (as once a machine is giving it,
it'll continue to do so). I don't _think_ I've ever experienced any
problems with corruption either from not doing it or from doing it.

See Paul's post for the usual detailed explanation (-:

Old October 13th 20, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 03:35:45, Paul wrote:
micky wrote:
Using Win 7 I have a USB dock, and it worked fine before, under win10
and maybe under Vista. Never got this message. Now, maybe because I'm
using win7, every time I plug in the dock, I get this message for every

[]
Macrium Reflect Free knows there's a problem. I tried
to do a 6.1.1196 backup using th CD and got "Error 9".
It knows something isn't right.

(Yes, I got an error - I think it _was_ error 9 - when trying to image a
recent Windows 10 drive for a friend with Macrium 5. It had worked OK
with Windows 10 a few months earlier on the same machine, so whatever
they've broken happened on one of the updates. I'll try with the latest
Macrium next time I visit that friend [when CoViD permits].)
[]
really compatible. However, Microsoft has this bad habit
of pooch screwing - $MFTMIRR, Volume Bitmap, Reparse points

(-:
(for custom compression format used for system files to
make the Windows tree smaller), the behaviors aren't backward
compatible. They also do something with Extended Attributes
that I still haven't figured out.

"Windows 10 is the gift that keeps on giving." Like the clap.

That's gone straight into my quotes file (with attribution)!

If you're not seeing problems when booting back to
Win7, then something must be wrong...

(-:

Paul

John

Old October 13th 20, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
micky

micky wrote:

Using Win 7 I have a USB dock, and it worked fine before, under win10
and maybe under Vista. Never got this message. Now, maybe because I'm
using win7, every time I plug in the dock, I get this message for every
data partition as it starts up (except an empty partition on a different
drive).

The drive has 4 partitions, 3 that it gives this warning for (not the

[]
You're using a USB dock and get this problem. Does the problem still
occur when you do NOT use the USB, and instead move the USB drive to
connect directly to each computer?

[]
I suspect it isn't a USB drive, but an ordinary SATA one. I have such a

Right. And it's a laptop computer so no way to connect a 3.5" dirive to
the laptop directly. Well, no, I have a USB data cable, a power brick
and power cable and bare connectors for an IDE drive and maybe SATA,
and if not SATA, they must make the same thing for SATA, but would that
be any more direct than the dock?

dock - a garish red and black thing (also has card-reader slots, though
I've never used them) with its own power brick; connects by USB (2 only,
I think)

I (used to) suspect it is USB3***. What brand, model? Even my old
Thermaltake BlacX is 3.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Thermalt...18!72042893909

I've had it for 10 years or so and they haven't changed the design or
come up with a newer model in all that time. But it's USB3 now and I
think it was then too

or eSATA (though in my case I was surprised there didn't seem
to be much speed difference). Has slots into which you can plug a SATA
(laptop or desktop format, it takes both sizes) or (E)IDE drive.

***OTOH, if yours takes IDE, I guess it 's even older than mine.

Even t hough the dock is usb3, mY laptop only has usb2 and last night it
took 4.5 hours to clone a 150GB drive. I guess with USB3 it would go a
lot faster.

Macrium Reflect Free said
I/O Performance Read 143.4 MB/Sec Write 188.5 Mb/Sec

Old October 14th 20, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

micky wrote:

[...]

I have one of those "cables" - if the "bare connectors" are in a flat
black bit that has connectors for the 3.5" IDE on one side and the
laptop one on the other (mine came with a power brick for the drive
too). There's actually some electronics in the flat black bit; basically
similar to a dock, just less (no) physical support for the drive. My
friend has a slightly later model of such a "cable", which has a SATA
connector on top of the flat black bit (as well as the IDE ones on the
sides), and needs (probably came with) a short SATA cable to connect to
the drive, and had an adaptor to convert the Molex on the power brick to
SATA.

dock - a garish red and black thing (also has card-reader slots, though
I've never used them) with its own power brick; connects by USB (2 only,
I think)

I (used to) suspect it is USB3***. What brand, model? Even my old
Thermaltake BlacX is 3.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Thermalt...king-station-S
ATA-6Gb-s-USB-3.0/4315699?cm_cat=google&cm_ite=4315699&cm_pla=NA-NA-Ther
maltake%20Technology_AD&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=Cj0 KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFM
JC1iFjishD1l4Jys1KVBQDsKAS6nEVpcBdBDdKcfinjOHr526 DeQAaAi3iEALw_wcB:G:s&g
clid=Cj0KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFMJC1iFjishD1l4Jys1K VBQDsKAS6nEVpcBdBDdKcfi
njOHr526DeQAaAi3iEALw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!35909 4630459!!!g!32241114663
6!!2050704618!72042893909

I've had it for 10 years or so and they haven't changed the design or
come up with a newer model in all that time. But it's USB3 now and I
think it was then too

or eSATA (though in my case I was surprised there didn't seem
to be much speed difference). Has slots into which you can plug a SATA
(laptop or desktop format, it takes both sizes) or (E)IDE drive.

***OTOH, if yours takes IDE, I guess it 's even older than mine.

Mine looks like this (other than came with power brick):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-S...a88fca00:g:sPw
AAOSw6u9e6gXQ
(I'm surprised they're still selling USB2! I suppose if people will buy
it ...)
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf