WD black too hot to touch

Old October 4th 15, 12:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default WD black too hot to touch

I was testing some Caviar black 2TB drives pulled from a failed pizzabox
server.
The first 2 passed okay. As it takes several hours for the long test, I left
one running overnight. When I got up, I found that Seatools was frozen
about 60% through. So I turned off, and tried to unplug that drive, but
it burnt my fingers.
How can a drive get so hot? I presume they are made to spin full speed
for long periods.
BTW, it was not mounted in a case, just lying on the bench for testing.
Ambient air temperature would have been no more than 20 Celcius.
Old October 4th 15, 04:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote

I was testing some Caviar black 2TB drives pulled from a failed pizzabox
server.

The first 2 passed okay. As it takes several hours for the long test,
I left one running overnight. When I got up, I found that Seatools
was frozen about 60% through. So I turned off, and tried to unplug
that drive, but it burnt my fingers.

How can a drive get so hot?

By not being run in a decent config with air blowing over it or
even decent thermal conduction to the drive stack its mounted in.

I presume they are made to spin full speed for long periods.

Yes, but not run bare on the desk with some of them.

BTW, it was not mounted in a case, just lying on the bench for testing.

And that is the problem.

Ambient air temperature would have been no more than 20 Celcius.

I've reported you to the RSPCFGTRES, you'll be soorree...

Old October 12th 15, 10:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 11:47:56 AM UTC+8, Rod Speed wrote:

By not being run in a decent config with air blowing over it or
even decent thermal conduction to the drive stack its mounted in.

I have quite a few Antec quiet cases, with the black disks mounted on rubber
grommets. I guess I will have to add a second fan in case the drive bay fan
seizes up....
Old October 12th 15, 10:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Question:

Are those Black WD's loud? Can you hear them outside the Antec quiet case?

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old October 12th 15, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Ed Light wrote:

Are those Black WD's loud? Can you hear them outside the Antec quiet case?

It depends on the model (and perhaps even the particular drive) and is
more a matter of vibration than audible noise. Out of my four Blacks,
the largest (3TB) vibrates the least.

Old October 13th 15, 04:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Are those Black WD's loud? Can you hear them outside the Antec quiet case?

It depends on the model (and perhaps even the particular drive)

Can you actually hear them outside the Antec case?

Thanks.