cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

Old October 15th 15, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

Default cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

Old October 15th 15, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Mike Easter

Adam wrote:
After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Have you removed both the power and the battery and held the power
button down 45 sec -- followed by restoring power and powering on again?

--
Mike Easter
Old October 15th 15, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"Mike Easter" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Have you removed both the power and the battery and held the power button
down 45 sec -- followed by restoring power and powering on again?

--
Mike Easter

Thanks, I just tried removing all power source before
pressing the power button down for at least 45 sec followed by
restoring power sources (battery and AC adapter) but no luck.

Old October 15th 15, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

Adam wrote:
After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Have you removed both the power and the battery and held the power button
down 45 sec -- followed by restoring power and powering on again?

--
Mike Easter

Thanks, I just tried removing all power source before
pressing the power button down for at least 45 sec followed by
restoring power sources (battery and AC adapter) but no luck.

Can DVD drives be opened even if laptop is not powered "on"?
If so, the DVD drive is not opening.

Old October 15th 15, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Jonathan N. Little

Adam wrote:

Can DVD drives be opened even if laptop is not powered "on"?
If so, the DVD drive is not opening.

Depends on the drive. If with a caddy then there is little hole for a
paperclip to push to mechanically open, else no.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Old October 15th 15, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"Jonathan N. Little" wrote in message
Adam wrote:

Can DVD drives be opened even if laptop is not powered "on"?
If so, the DVD drive is not opening.

Depends on the drive. If with a caddy then there is little hole for a
paperclip to push to mechanically open, else no.

Thanks, but I was testing to see if there is any power to laptop at all.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Old October 15th 15, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Johnny

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:33:13 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

If you are lucky, there my be a fuse by the power jack inside the
laptop.
Old October 15th 15, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"Adam" wrote:

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

If you are lucky, there may be a fuse by the power jack inside the
laptop.

Thanks, do you mean the fuse may be blown and needs to be replaced?
If so, this is new territory for me so let me see if I can find a DIY
article.

Old October 15th 15, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Jonathan N. Little

"Adam" wrote:

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

If you are lucky, there may be a fuse by the power jack inside the
laptop.

Thanks, do you mean the fuse may be blown and needs to be replaced?
If so, this is new territory for me so let me see if I can find a DIY
article.

1) Is the battery charged, Dell have a nice push button indicator on
batter but I don't this Asus do.

2) If battery good but doesn't do anything...keyboard lights etc then
you may have fried motherboard

3) If it boots with just the battery, but nothing with battery removed
and just using the powercord/supply, then test power cord with meter.

If powercord/supply is good then your may have the input jack fuse
blown. Not for the novice to fix. See images here of likely locations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asus+laptop+fuse+on+motherboard&tbm=isch& tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCOmgw5Wixc gCFYXXHgodKtIO4w&biw=1080&bih=859

We are talking about soldering on the motherboard...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Old October 15th 15, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"Adam" wrote:

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

If you are lucky, there may be a fuse by the power jack inside the
laptop.

Thanks, do you mean the fuse may be blown and needs to be replaced?
If so, this is new territory for me so let me see if I can find a DIY
article.

Found this article...

Laptop does not start. Is it bad power jack or motherboard?
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/laptop...k-motherboard/

Yikes! Sounds like some dismantling/surgery may be required. :-)