CPU UPGRADE for a Compaq Presario S4000NX Desktop

Old February 12th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
jaczar

Default CPU UPGRADE for a Compaq Presario S4000NX Desktop

Hi,

I tried to find the CPUs the subject PC would support on the COMPAQ site.
They played HIDE better than I played SEEK.

Can anyone provide this info or a link to the page where its located?

Thank You, in advance, for any help.

Old February 12th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

You will NEVER find a CPU upgrade page on the HP web site, or on the web site of
any other name brand company, for that matter. These people only want to sell
you new systems. They do not even sell CPU upgrades.

Here is the URL for the product specifications for the S4000NX:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...329399&lang=en

It ships with a 2.4GHz Celeron CPU, and it is a Socket 478. The absolutely
fastest CPU possible in this system is a 2.8GHz Celeron. The improvement in CPU
speed is hardly worth the time and expense.

If you want the system to respond faster, increase the amount of system memory
to the 1GB maximum stated in this page. I suspect that the memory can go as
high as 2GB, although this page claims 1GB. You can use any good quality
non-ECC unregistered DDR memory designed for desktop computers. Minimum speed
is PC2100, but faster PC2700 will work just as well. The fastest DDR memory,
PC3200, may or may not work. Crucial is a well-regarded and affordable brand of
memory, and the Crucial web site has a memory configurator for most models of
computers. I have had no problems with Kingston and SimpleTech brands of
memory.

Note that your system has integrated Intel 845 graphics, which uses some of the
main system memory to display information on screen. The result is that the
amount of memory available to Windows is less than the amount actually
installed... Ben Myers

Old February 17th 08, 03:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
jaczar

Thank you for the response.

I also found out that the motherboard is made by TRIGEM (forgot the code
name & model number).

From various sources, I found out that this
board is used by several PC vendors (Gateway and HP models) shoud run with
any 400Mhz FSB socket 478.
Any 533 FSB 478 may work but be limited to the 400Mhz limit of the
motherboard.

The faster CPU upgrade does not seem to be very cost effective. I already
have 1,5 GB of RAM. I downloaded
and ran several (free/trial) tweaking programs and got a bit of improvement.

I also flashed to the newest BIOS.