Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

Old February 7th 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

Ben Myers wrote:
Thermal sensor detection is built into the BIOS and cannot be
disabled.

So this trick mentioned doesn't work ? btw the CPU I`ve ordered is a
Coppermine 600mhz so I shouldn't have to worry about the voltage unless the
Compaq can't give it any less then 2.0v which shouldn't kill it anyway but
may cause excess heat.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 7th 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Ben Myers wrote:
Thermal sensor detection is built into the BIOS and cannot be
disabled.

So this trick mentioned doesn't work ? btw the CPU I`ve ordered is a
Coppermine 600mhz so I shouldn't have to worry about the voltage
unless the Compaq can't give it any less then 2.0v which shouldn't
kill it anyway but may cause excess heat.

People have run Coppermines at 2.0v before and had some success/failure

http://tinyurl.com/ag9pb

I myself have overclocked CPU before and given them high voltage and its
never caused a problem + we know other people have run Coppermine on PII
Deskpro EN before.

Thing is a friend of mine works in a bank and they're chucking P3 733 and P3
900 PCs w/o hard drive so I might be able to get on of those anyway - and
just sell the 600 back on ebay for £ 5 delivered (cost £ 6.40 but hey).

But I`ll try the 600 when I get it anyway.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 7th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

The thing is a friend ran a Celeron 366 @ 550 once for 2 years totally
stable at a much higher voltage then default he was playing games on it a
lot during that period. Eventually the CPU wasn't stable (software errors)
at the overclock setting anymore.

So we put it back to 366 default voltage and it was fine - he upgraded and
the CPU had another life in a surfing machine. Then it was sold on for £ 20
with motherboard to start another life. So this 600 at 2.0v may only last a
couple of years under high usage which I don't do anyway...

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 07:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
So this
600 at 2.0v may only last a couple of years under high usage which I
don't do anyway...

I ran SiSandra on the machine with original BIOS and it said max CPU 500mhz
+ now I`ve updated to the latest Rompaq released 22/08/1999 and now SiSandra
says max CPU 950mhz + so that kinda confirms that a Slot 1 100mhz Coppermine
will run on this board. We already knew that 1.0ghz P3 Slot 1 worked but the
question is what voltage will it supply. I`ll check SiSandra for that info
when I have my P3 600 installed.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 07:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
So this
600 at 2.0v may only last a couple of years under high usage which I
don't do anyway...

I ran SiSandra on the machine with original BIOS and it said max CPU
500mhz + now I`ve updated to the latest Rompaq released 22/08/1999
and now SiSandra says max CPU 950mhz + so that kinda confirms that a
Slot 1 100mhz Coppermine will run on this board. We already knew that
1.0ghz P3 Slot 1 worked but the question is what voltage will it
supply. I`ll check SiSandra for that info when I have my P3 600
installed.

I think it must run at 2.0v becuase on 22/08/1999 there were no Coppermine
CPU available and Compaq probably envisaged Intel would stick with P3 Katmai
Slot 1 CPU @ 2.0v up to 950mhz + what it does prove is that my board now
officially supports fsb/multipliers to run 950mhz + CPU whereas the old BIOS
supported 500mhz + whether it would of supported 600mhz I don't know but it
certainly will now. The voltage issue is probably why Compaq official max is
P3 600mhz Katmai although they will run Coppermine at 2.0v.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 07:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
[...]

Of course when I say fsb/multiplier I mean multiplier becuase the fsb will
always be 100mhz max. I`ll get the "Unsupported CPU F1 to continue." message
becuase it won't recognise the Coppermine core officially.

I found the PC dumped with a modem and monitor and although I had to replace
the 3.2gb hard drive with a £ 6.50 6.4gb the £ 6.40 P3 600 100mhz fsb
upgrade will make it a very useable Windows XP machine (although the
ACPI/APM won't work) but it has full driver support.

It even had 128mb SDRAM installed and I think originally they came with 64mb
a friend gave me an extra 64mb he found dumped so I got 192mb in there (and
both sticks are PC100 +)

So for £ 12.90 I have a P3 600 192mb 6.4gb Modem CD/Floppy on eBay they
start at around £ 18.50 delivered for P3 450 64mb 6.4gb CD/Floppy no modem.
I normally build my own PCs out of standard hardware but my PCs aren't
available at the moment and there's a nice feeling to taking something out
of the trash and upgrading unexpectedly (as its a crappy Compaq I thought)
it to a reasonable spec for as little £ as possible.

I know this can work for other Compaqs of similar age which may also have
the 440bx chipset and P2 266 - P2 450 an upgrade to 1ghz + maybe desirable
if you like the machine so much you still use it in this day and age.
--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 08:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
[...]

Actually I'm wrong ACPI won't work under Windows XP but APM will. I know
becuase I had Windows 2000 on this machine for a while and APM worked but
ACPI didn't as the os installed as a Standard PC - in the last ROMPAQ which
I just updated too it includes official support for Windows 2000 so I guess
future installs of Windows 2000 would be in ACPI mode. But APM under Windows
XP will do the job ie power off the machine at shutdown - not a big deal but
nice. ESS1869 drivers for Windows XP are available at www.esstech.com
everything else is supported by XP.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 08:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:

Actually I'm wrong ACPI won't work under Windows XP but APM will. I
know becuase I had Windows 2000 on this machine for a while and APM
worked but ACPI didn't as the os installed as a Standard PC - in the
last ROMPAQ which I just updated too it includes official support for
Windows 2000 so I guess future installs of Windows 2000 would be in
ACPI mode. But APM under Windows XP will do the job ie power off the
machine at shutdown - not a big deal but nice. ESS1869 drivers for
Windows XP are available at www.esstech.com everything else is
supported by XP.

Of course there is also the risk that I might fry the CPU by cooling the CPU
passively using the Coolermaster Standard Sized heatsink instead of using
the supplied CPU Fan or trying to detach the heatsink to use the foxconn one
attached to the P2 266.

I could get an adapter if push comes to shove for a couple of pounds if
things get too hot. But according to tomshardware P3 Coppermine (and
predessors) has a cut off point when a CPU gets too hot and the system just
hangs without damaging the CPU so if that happens I`ll have to buy an CPU
fan adapter.

The AMD CPU (of a few year ago at least) don't have this protection so they
fry if too hot - tomshardware tested by running the Intel vs AMD CPU with no
heatsink/fan whilst running Quake3.

So its virtually impossible for me to fry a £ 6.40 CPU

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:

Of course there is also the risk that I might fry the CPU by cooling
the CPU passively using the Coolermaster Standard Sized heatsink
instead of using the supplied CPU Fan or trying to detach the
heatsink to use the foxconn one attached to the P2 266.

I could get an adapter if push comes to shove for a couple of pounds
if things get too hot. But according to tomshardware P3 Coppermine
(and predessors) has a cut off point when a CPU gets too hot and the
system just hangs without damaging the CPU so if that happens I`ll
have to buy an CPU fan adapter.

The AMD CPU (of a few year ago at least) don't have this protection
so they fry if too hot - tomshardware tested by running the Intel vs
AMD CPU with no heatsink/fan whilst running Quake3.

So its virtually impossible for me to fry a £ 6.40 CPU

The CPU arrived this morning. I opened the case removed the P2 266 and slot
in the P3 600E Slot 1 1.65v CPU without CPU Fan connected. PC boots BIOS
informs that thermal sensor is no connected and CPU is not supported F1 to
Boot. I pressed F10 under System Information shows P3 600E as CPU.

Boot into Windows ran SiSandra;

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III
Speed : 597MHz
Performance Rating : PR716 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Package : SECC(2) Slot1 Cartridge
Rated Speed/FSB : 798MHz / 1x 133MHz
Multiplier : 6/1x
Generation : G6
Name : P6C (Coppermine) Pentium IIIE 180nm 500MHz-1.13GHz 1.3-1.75V
Revision/Stepping : 8 / 3 (2)
Stepping Mask : cB0
Microcode : MU068313
Core Voltage Rating : 1.650V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 32-bit
Native Page Size : 4kB
Large Page Size : 4MB

Co-Processor (FPU)
Type : Built-in
Revision/Stepping : 8 / 3 (2)

Processor Cache(s)
Internal Data Cache : 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 4-way set, 32 byte line
size
Internal Instruction Cache : 16kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 4-way set, 32
byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 32 byte line size
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x (597MHz)

Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : J22
Upgrade Interface : Slot 1
Supported Speed(s) : 950MHz+

Features
FPU - Co-Processor Built-in : Yes
VME - Virtual Mode Extensions : Yes
DE - Debugging Extension : Yes
PSE - Page Size Extension : Yes
TSC - Time Stamp Counter : Yes
MSR - Model Specific Registers : Yes
PAE - Physical Address Extension : Yes
MCE - Machine Check Exception : Yes
CX8 - Compare & Exchange 8-bytes Instruction : Yes
APIC - Local APIC Built-in : No
SEP - Fast System Call : Yes
MTRR - Memory Type Range Registers : Yes
PGE - Page Global Enable : Yes
MCA - Machine Check Architecture : Yes
PAT - Page Attribute Table : Yes
PSE36 - 36-bit Page Size Extension : Yes
PSN - Unique Serial Number : No
CLF - Cache Line Flush Support : No
DS - Debug Trace & EMON Store : No
ACPI - Software Clock Control : No
(W)MMX Technology : Yes
FXSR - Fast Float Save & Restore : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : No
SS - Self Snoop : No
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : No
TM - Thermal Monitor : No
PBE - Pending Break Enable : No
SSE3 Technology : No
MON - Monitor/MWait : No
DSCPL - CPL qualified Debug Store : No
VMX - Virtual Machine eXtensions : No
EST - Enhanced SpeedStep Technology : No
TM2 - Thermal Monitor 2 : No
SSE4 Technology : No
CID - Context ID : No
CX16 - Compare & Exchange 16-bytes Instruction : No
xTPR - Send Task Priority Messages : No
DAZ - Denormals Are Zero : No

Advanced Settings
L2 Cacheable Range : 64GB
L2 Cache Grouping : 1 bank(s)
L2 Cache Latency : 0 clock(s)
Data Error Checking : No
Low Power Mode : Yes
Fast Strings : Yes
IO Queue Depth : 8 request(s)

Machine Check Architecture Settings
Number of Reporting Banks : 5 bank(s)

It says Core Voltage 1.65v I don't know if that means the Compaq is giving
1.65v or thats the info being recieved from the CPU. But no problems so far
the machine is running 2003 Server eval at the moment and its much faster
then before. It feels so much more responsive just like it should. A bargin
for those with old Compaqs / people who can't get a 600mhz + for free from
bank/school.
--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 9th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote:

It says Core Voltage 1.65v I don't know if that means the Compaq is
giving
1.65v or thats the info being recieved from the CPU. But no problems
so far the machine is running 2003 Server eval at the moment and its
much faster then before. It feels so much more responsive just like
it should. A bargin for those with old Compaqs / people who can't get
a 600mhz + for free from bank/school.

Sandra uses the Voltage sensor to show true CPU Voltage and the Deskpro EN
doesn't have a Temp Sensor or Voltage sensor so its the default CPU voltage
thats being shown under CPU info. I`m running Prime 95 torture test in mode
designed for max heat to check stability but I expect everything will be
fine.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 30th 04 06:40 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 19th 04 01:58 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 1st 04 03:54 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 5th 04 11:17 AM