HP XP in boot loop - how to resolve using MSFT/HP cd's

Old March 4th 08, 08:16 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Default HP XP in boot loop - Fix-It 8 - MSFT vs HP XP cd's

Give it a try. It ought to work.

BTW, Dell's OEM Windows XP install CDs, both Pro and Home, both have the repair
console and the Windows repair menu choice. Dell's XP "restore" CDs are full
everyday Windows install CDs with minor differences from the OEM version bought
from a distributor... Ben Myers

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:49:37 -0500, "- Bobb -" wrote:

Bill,
Do you know ...
Could I use retail version of Windows XP to REPAIR an OEM install ?
I didn't try it, just asking to see if you know, 'cuz I think it MIGHT
have worked.
Thanks

"BillW50" wrote in message
.com...
In ,
- Bobb - typed on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:47:43 -0500:
Top posting - Final result:

After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop
box as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the
desktop PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and
after the repair all is well with the drive.
I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
folders as they were.

I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on
Compaq boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever
displayed, but I'll investigate and report back.

Thanks to all.

OEM versions of Windows XP does not contain any repair Windows option.
At least I have never seen one anyway. Only the retail version of
Windows XP does. OEM versions of Windows 2000 does contain the repair
option from the ones I have seen though.

--
Bill

Conflict betw MSFT Comfort Keyboard & Screensaver belvedere Dell Computers 4 February 1st 07 06:30 AM
cd drive only reads dvd, no cdrom, music cd's or data cd's. adventurecube General Hardware 0 May 14th 04 04:59 AM
2 CD's won't boot Noboddie General 5 January 24th 04 06:58 AM
bad battery -> boot loop Tanya General 6 December 6th 03 09:40 PM
Nero 6 Has it got problems creating boot CD's ? Paul@Work Cdr 1 August 13th 03 02:18 PM