Ebuyer Opinion

Old September 25th 03, 07:26 PM
Tinklemagoo

Last couple of enotes I have posted have been answered within 2 days. And
when I returned faulty sdram on the wednesday I had replacement 2 days
later!
From my experience Ebuyer seem to be improving there customer
support/service.

Ebuyer prices still very competitive compared to other major mail order
companies and most of the time the cheapest.

Old September 26th 03, 01:29 AM
Colin Wilson

I had an order in the region of =A3220 delivered yesterday bang on cue, a=
ll=20
present and correct. Haven`t had chance to build it yet to check it all=

=20
works, but at least it was all there :-}

Update - works like a charm - it took 3 times longer to install the=20
software than it did to knock together a machine based on the Asus A7N266

One oddity - the onboard lan doesn`t seem to want to work, despite it=20
looking like it`s all there and ready to rock :-} (I had an old realtek=20
to hand anyway, so problem solved)

--=20
Old September 26th 03, 02:13 AM
David Baxter

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message

also,

since the demise of the ebuyer protest site, the complaints have dried up

virtually nothing.

What -did- happen to ebuyerdotcon and his website?

Regards,
Dave
---
(remove spamblock or reply to group)

Old September 26th 03, 09:31 AM
Andy Sinclair

Colin Wilson wrote:
One oddity - the onboard lan doesn`t seem to want to work, despite it
looking like it`s all there and ready to rock :-} (I had an old realtek
to hand anyway, so problem solved)

Check your device manager to see if it has appeared in 'other
devices'. If so, select update driver.

Andy
Old September 26th 03, 10:15 AM
Crossbow

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 02:13:00 +0100, "David Baxter"
wrote:

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message

also,

since the demise of the ebuyer protest site, the complaints have dried up

virtually nothing.

What -did- happen to ebuyerdotcon and his website?

Regards,
Dave
---
(remove spamblock or reply to group)

Not sure about Simon, but the website name appears to be up and
running and advertising various PC vendors.

Worth a look, if only to wonder at the thinking behind the company
that purchased it and to try to work out if there's some intentional
irony there. Surely not.

Old September 26th 03, 05:02 PM
SLP

"SLP" wrote in message
I started using Ebuyer a few months ago - ironically, I first checked them
out after reading all the complaints about them in this NG. My dozen or so
orders have all been delivered correctly and on time with no issues
whatsoever.

Yesterday, however, I had my first chance to find out what their

notoriously
bad customer service was like. I'd ordered about six different items,

mainly
cables, total £35. But one of the cables was missing (a crossover cable,
which typically was the one I needed most urgently). It was included on

the
packing note, so it was definitely missing and not just arriving in a
different shipment - as Ebuyer's deliveries sometimes do.

Now, the cable was only actually worth £1, but I wanted to see just how
Ebuyer would handle it and if they would live up to their bad reputation.

So
I raised an Enote yesterday afternoon and expected a long wait for a

reply.

At 07:49 this morning I received the reply, apologising for the mistake

and
informing that me a replacement cable was going to be sent out ASAP. I

then
received an email at 13:00 saying that the cable had been dispatched.

So, is this an isolated case of good service (maybe because it was only a

£1
cable) or have Ebuyer improved over the last few months?

SLP

Well, I received the new cable this morning as promised, so faultless
customer service from Ebuyer.

SLP

Old September 26th 03, 11:22 PM
Colin Wilson

One oddity - the onboard lan doesn`t seem to want to work, despite it
looking like it`s all there and ready to rock :-} (I had an old realtek
to hand anyway, so problem solved)

Check your device manager to see if it has appeared in 'other
devices'. If so, select update driver.

Thanks for the reply - I spotted it said that in the manual, but there is
no "other devices" listed in the device manager. My next trick (I
suppose) is the lan driver under the /103/ directory that it points
you towards in the manual (i`m using win98se)

Have you got the same board by any chance ? - I don`t have the machine in
front of me now, but it mentioned something about an MCP IIRC, and i`m
not sure if that`s an Nforce oddity or if that`s the LAN itself...

What threw me was I couldn`t get it to connect to my router, even though
the MCP part said it was active and correctly installed.

Old September 26th 03, 11:25 PM
JULIAN HALES

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
One oddity - the onboard lan doesn`t seem to want to work, despite it
looking like it`s all there and ready to rock :-} (I had an old realtek
to hand anyway, so problem solved)

Check your device manager to see if it has appeared in 'other
devices'. If so, select update driver.

Thanks for the reply - I spotted it said that in the manual, but there is
no "other devices" listed in the device manager. My next trick (I
suppose) is the lan driver under the /103/ directory that it points
you towards in the manual (i`m using win98se)

Have you got the same board by any chance ? - I don`t have the machine in
front of me now, but it mentioned something about an MCP IIRC, and i`m
not sure if that`s an Nforce oddity or if that`s the LAN itself...

What threw me was I couldn`t get it to connect to my router, even though
the MCP part said it was active and correctly installed.

i had to isntall nic drivers from the website to get it to work, 98 or SE
didnt want to do it.

Old September 27th 03, 12:20 AM
Colin Wilson

i had to isntall nic drivers from the website to get it to work, 98 or SE
didnt want to do it.

OK cheers, i`ll give that a whirl as soon as I manage to get it online...
(anyone know how long it takes for an additional MAC address to propagate
through to telewests` servers ?)

Old September 27th 03, 07:09 PM
Alan Norris

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:26:51 +0100, "Tinklemagoo"
wrote:

Last couple of enotes I have posted have been answered within 2 days. And
when I returned faulty sdram on the wednesday I had replacement 2 days
later!
From my experience Ebuyer seem to be improving there customer
support/service.

Ebuyer prices still very competitive compared to other major mail order
companies and most of the time the cheapest.

Made my first order from Ebuyer on Sunday. All arrived complete and on
time on Thursday as promised and all works. So I am impressed so far.

Mind you, *nobody* can touch Crucial. Ordered a DDR stick on Sunday.
Arrived Tuesday morning by special delivery and of course, it works
perfectly.

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc