simple finding IP address to use, come on, help a moron

Old March 2nd 05, 04:28 AM
chuck

Default simple finding IP address to use, come on, help a moron

I have everything hooked up (Veo cam and linksys switcherwith firewall,
it was all set up befor ebut the kid downloaded bunk and I lost the
cams for awhile. I have it all back up, still have the same information
in the router configuration computer 101, cam 102 and other cam (which
is no longer) is 103
I can see it locally through browser or log on but when I try from my
office, I cant conect, I am not even sure what IP to ping?

It was working and I really feel dumb not being able to remember, it
has to be so simple.

Anyone want to help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Chuck

Old March 2nd 05, 05:45 AM
Si Ballenger

On 1 Mar 2005 20:28:38 -0800, "chuck"
wrote:

I have everything hooked up (Veo cam and linksys switcherwith firewall,
it was all set up befor ebut the kid downloaded bunk and I lost the
cams for awhile. I have it all back up, still have the same information
in the router configuration computer 101, cam 102 and other cam (which
is no longer) is 103
I can see it locally through browser or log on but when I try from my
office, I cant conect, I am not even sure what IP to ping?

It was working and I really feel dumb not being able to remember, it
has to be so simple.

Anyone want to help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Chuck

Use a service like www.no-ip.com and you don't have to manually
update your links for your assigned wan ip address. Otherwise
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Old March 4th 05, 07:00 AM
chuck

I have done that to death, I cant get the cam over the net. I have the
ip of the computer but its on the other side of the router. It was all
hooked up before I just cant figure out the combination in the IP
address when afar with the :81 or :1025. I can see the cam is 102 and
my computer 101.

Thanks for the help

Old March 4th 05, 08:04 AM
Si Ballenger

On 3 Mar 2005 23:00:12 -0800, "chuck"
wrote:

I have done that to death, I cant get the cam over the net. I have the
ip of the computer but its on the other side of the router. It was all
hooked up before I just cant figure out the combination in the IP
address when afar with the :81 or :1025. I can see the cam is 102 and
my computer 101.

Thanks for the help

You will need to enable port fowarding on your router. The below
link should give you some info on this type of setup.

http://www.sonicjay.com/cam/cam_how_to.htm

img src="http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg" border="0" alt=""
/BR
embed src="http://www.johnwpb.com/hs/jeopardy.mp3"

Old March 4th 05, 07:15 PM
chuck

Thanks for the help but I still can't get it. I have pinged what I
thought was the camera and I have pinged the computer, it all can\me
back great:
Since I cant get it all I need is fore someone to show me how to again
pop up the cam access, here is all of my info (I have no option) u can
look around my apartment ;-)
68.66.97.9 is my ip address (it is cable but doesn't really change)
I pinged 68.66.97.102 (my cam) and the ping came back ok, I pinged my
computer and it came back ok. I type in the IP address
http://68.66.97.102 and I get nothing, I try 102:81(changing the end)
and I get nothing. Where am I going wrong (besides blasting my info on
the web ;-)

Thanks man, I just want saved!
Chuck

Old March 4th 05, 09:58 PM
Dion L Heap

"chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the help but I still can't get it. I have pinged what I
thought was the camera and I have pinged the computer, it all can\me
back great:
Since I cant get it all I need is fore someone to show me how to again
pop up the cam access, here is all of my info (I have no option) u can
look around my apartment ;-)
68.66.97.9 is my ip address (it is cable but doesn't really change)
I pinged 68.66.97.102 (my cam) and the ping came back ok, I pinged my
computer and it came back ok. I type in the IP address
http://68.66.97.102 and I get nothing, I try 102:81(changing the end)
and I get nothing. Where am I going wrong (besides blasting my info on
the web ;-)

I don't know what software you are using but normally, you also have to add
the port number the cam is using if you are remotely viewing it. With
regards software, I have played around with a few of them and have found by
far the best is trackercam which is free (google trackercam software) it
will also allow you to zoom the cam, offers ftp AND streaming. Quite simple
to set up too and is compatible with the latest java unlike webcam32.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Old March 5th 05, 12:08 AM
bumtracks

If your real IP on the web is
68.66.97.9
and the cam uses port 81
& you set port forwarding to 81 in the router to the cams LAN IP#
then normally you would access the cam from the web at
http://68.66.97.9:81

oups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 01:10 AM
Nerdman

Two things to watch for:

1) Assign a static IP on your LAN

Your camera (or PC running your camera software) is being assigned an
IP address by your router (via DHCP). This IP address *can* change so
it's better to assign a static or manual IP address that's not in the
router's DHCP range (i.e. behind a Linksys router, you can assign
192.168.1.50, assuming your router is using its default DHCP range of
192.168.1.100+). Then adjust your port forwarding to point to this new
static IP.

2) Make sure your DSL or cable modem isn't also acting as a router

If your router is behind a cable or DSL modem that also has a built-in
router, this greatly complicates things. You now have two routers in a
row and this makes port forwarding difficult or impossible to
accomplish. To verify if your router is a DSL or cable modem with a
built-in router, browse to your router and see what its WAN or Internet
address is. If it's something like 192.168.x.x or 10.1.x.x, then your
modem has a built-in router. If that's the case, you'll need to use the
modem's router for port forwarding and ditch your existing router *or*
contact your ISP and have them disable the modem's router functionality
(or have them put your modem in "bridge" mode).

Nerdman
http://www.nerdman.com
18 Cams Document Life of Nerd

Old March 5th 05, 03:37 AM
chuck

Thanks, you have "all" been great help. I am going to mess with it
tonight and then hopefully I can get it. I appreciate the help and
Google for hosting such a cool thing.
I set it up with a tech friend and it was over a year ago. Veo cams are
cool just wish I could share it with multiple viewers at the same time
and get it running so I can see it again. Thanks again guys, you make
llife cool!
Chuck