Cable Modem

Old November 20th 03, 09:18 PM

Default Cable Modem

Just ordered my Dell 4600,any suggestions on Brand or type of
cable modem and router/firewall.

Old November 20th 03, 09:30 PM
Tom Swift

FWIW, I rent mine from the cable company. That way, if anything goes wrong
with it, I bring it to my local cable company (Comcast) store, swap it for a
new one, and I'm back in business. If I owned the equipment, I would have to
bring it somewhere for repair and be without the Internet for ? days, or buy
a new one. When the equipment gets to be as cheap as telephones, I'll
probably switch to buying it.

Tom Swift

Old November 20th 03, 10:01 PM
joe_tide

I can't argue with Tom on the modem bit. That makes sense. A friend of mine
got a cable modem at Staples. With the instant rebate, and the mail-in
rebate he got it for free. That might be a better deal.

I've used many brands of routers. Many like, and will recommend, a certain
brand, but I don't see any difference. A suggestion though - get a wireless
router. That way you can use it for a computer in another room using the
wireless feature, or you can run wires and use it wired too. I have a
combination in my house.

Old November 20th 03, 10:02 PM
PC Gladiator

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...01-008&DEPA=10

The time has come Tom...

Bought my 3COM 20 months ago for $120 (decent price back then). I think
they wanted to charge $10 a month back then. If you're going to stay with
the same company then it's definitely worth buying. On a cheap piece of
equipment you're better off buying IMO.

s.com...

Old November 20th 03, 10:06 PM
Tom Swift

"The time has come Tom..."

Considering how often I've had to replace my cable modem in the last 6 years
(once), I believe you are right!

Tom Swift

"PC Gladiator" wrote in message

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...01-008&DEPA=10

The time has come Tom...

Bought my 3COM 20 months ago for $120 (decent price back then). I think
they wanted to charge $10 a month back then. If you're going to stay with
the same company then it's definitely worth buying. On a cheap piece of
equipment you're better off buying IMO.

s.com...

Old November 20th 03, 10:18 PM
S.Lewis

wrote in message
Just ordered my Dell 4600,any suggestions on Brand or type of
cable modem and router/firewall.

A friend of mine recommends the Motorola Surfboard (cable) modem highly, if
you decide to buy one. I'd suggest either a Linksys or DLink router/switch.
I use the DLink DI-604.

Old November 20th 03, 11:56 PM
Tim Miser

Keep an eye on www.techbargains.com and you'll find one for $20 or less
especially next week on black friday.

-Tim

"Tom Swift" wrote in message
s.com...
"The time has come Tom..."

Considering how often I've had to replace my cable modem in the last 6

years
(once), I believe you are right!

Tom Swift

"PC Gladiator" wrote in message

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...atalog=18&manu
factory=1413&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...01-008&DEPA=10

The time has come Tom...

Bought my 3COM 20 months ago for $120 (decent price back then). I think
they wanted to charge $10 a month back then. If you're going to stay

with
the same company then it's definitely worth buying. On a cheap piece of
equipment you're better off buying IMO.

s.com...

Old November 20th 03, 11:56 PM
Carolyn Taliaferro

I use a rental from Comcast and pay $3.00 a month . This is the second modem
I had in 3 years. I am not running a network yet, but will be after the new
year.
CT