D-Link 3220G Network Camera and sending email

Old December 25th 04, 03:55 AM
johnQdoe

Default D-Link 3220G Network Camera and sending email

Just picked up on of these Network cameras for home monitoring. I have
tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this thing
to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out there
have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?

BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so hopefully
I'm missing something small.

The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login username
and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the website
email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other cameras?

Old December 25th 04, 02:57 PM
bumtracks

I don't have that model but use verizon for my ISP and their mail requires
user authorization which dlink and other network cams here don't have.
You might check with comcast for mail set up or look in your email client
and see if that authorization bugger is effecting you too.
Only way I can get cams to mail stuff is to set up a local mail server
here,,, for routers too.

Old December 25th 04, 06:32 PM
johnQdoe

"Si Ballenger" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:55:36 -0500, "johnQdoe"
wrote:

[...]

As strange as it may seem, you may not need your user name and
password. I've been tinkering with a free command line email
application called sendemail which was getting authorization
errors. I removed the user name and password from the command
line and it works. If you are sending to a mail server at your
current ISP, then may accept email from with in its system with
out the user and password. Below is what is required to send mail
with in the system of my ISP. From, to, subject, message, and
mail server. If you are using a mail server outside the system or
from another ISP, then the user name and password would
definately be needed. Try skipping the user name and password.

sendemail.exe -f -t -u test -m send email
test -s smtp.myisp.net:25

Just tried it... No luck. Did get a different error message though....

Old December 25th 04, 06:34 PM
johnQdoe

Thanks for the response. I have emailed Comcast to verify the email
settings but I'm using the same info for OE and it works. That's why I
can't understand why it isn't working with the camera. Geez, this should be
the easiest thing about the camera to setup! I'm supplying the account and
password in OE and the "Logon using Secure Password Authentication" and the
"My server requires authentication" are both NOT checked. Is there some
other setting I need to check? I'm getting this message: "Err=501 need MAIL
FROM:name@domain"

I also tried emailing the logs from the router and that didn't work either
so I'm worried this is the same thing you ran into. Damn thing doesn't show
any error message so I have no idea why it isn't working.

What is involved in setting up a mail server? That's going to be more $$ no
doubt and require a system be running all the time.

If this turns out to be the case then D-Link has misled me and others.
There is nothing in the documentation that this camera will email only in
SOME cases. I sure hope they haven't provided a half-baked solution here.
I guess I'll try setting up the FTP transfer and see if I can make any
headway there until I hear back from Comcast & D-Link.

Stay tuned...

P.S. The picture quality of this camera is pretty good and the G wireless is
working great. I will be getting a powered speaker to try the 2-way audio
and will check back here with my overall impressions of this camera.

Old December 25th 04, 07:40 PM
bumtracks

"Err=501 need MAIL
FROM:name@domain"

Error 501 = This response indicates that the server identified an attempt to
issue an SMTP command but the parameters associated with the command
contained a syntax error.

Sounds like you dont have a from field in the sent email and maybe it needs
to be addressed to mail other than your own email addy to another
account like hotmail.

I've a spot where two way audio will come in handy, have been watching for
a deal on dcs3220 or W for myself. They've stung me too many times on
rebates but imagine the new lower light cams will have rebates soon to get
them moving.

Old December 27th 04, 02:31 AM
johnQdoe

Unfortunately, the camera doesn't display what it is using in the error
message so I have no idea what it is actually using, other than looking at
the SMTP config screen. And all looks OK there. I have since found out
that Comcast doesn't support SPA (Secure Password Authentication).

I expect to hear back from D-Link tomorrow on my email to tech support. I
can telnet into the camera but there isn't anything there to look at really.
Maybe they can tell me how to turn on some more detailed tracing?

BTW, didn't have any luck with the FTP function either. Getting "FTP:
Unable to connect to ftp server upload.comcast. at port 5376." when I use
port 21 in the config. When I change the ports (local and 1st ftp server)
to 5276 then I get "FTP: Unable to connect to ftp server upload.comcast. at
port 21." No combination of the two port numbers works.

It appears to be dropping part of the host name. upload.comcast.net gets
cut to upload.comcast. When I change it to just comcast.net the log shows
it correctly but it still doesn't work. I tried entering uploadcomcast.net
in the config screen and the log shows it as "uploadcomcast.ne" so I don't
know if the log is truncating it or it is being truncated by the camera FTP.
Arrggh....

I'm not likin' the way this is shaping up...

"johnQdoe" wrote in message
[...]

$$

Old December 27th 04, 05:51 AM
bumtracks

fwiw
I just looked real quick at comcast set up instructions for OE
then looked at a dcs2000 configs and its output ...
which is same program(er)as 3220

required for cam to mail comcast sh/b...
smtp.comcast.net
LoginUserName (without @comcast)
passWord
the
sender email
((from field))
which is way on the bottom of the smtp config
i assume ur email is

example dcs2000 email;
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:14:12 GMT

Subject: Periodic snapshots

--192.168.0.26Vivotek1104124452

*** Periodic snapshots ***
From:
http://192.168.0.26
Time: Dec/27/2004 00:14:11
Note: ncam6

Old December 28th 04, 04:25 AM
johnQdoe

Yes, all this corresponds exactly to what I have entered into the config
screens.

So far D-link tech support via email jerked me around to provide more and
more information then did nothing but tell me to call their 800 number.
They offered ZERO help or ideas. Wasted about 3-4 days there.

I just got off the phone with their "tech support". It was clear the guy
didn't even know the product. They told me nothing that wasn't in their
manual or on their website. I've combed through both many times. The guy
kept putting me on hold to talk to "his supervisor". He kept repeating the
same stuff over and over and claimed sending mail to the Comcast smtp server
was "advanced"! (guess that makes Outlook Express an "advanced program"!)
When I asked to speak to the "supervisor" he refused. He also refused to
provide his name. He claims Comcast is using some sort of password
(interesting OE works fine without this mystery password).

I will be attempting to return this camera and will never buy another Dlink
product again. This is a $350 piece of crap that doesn't do what it shows
on the back of the box it comes in. I cannot believe that this company has
put this camera on the market making claims it supports SMTP when it clearly
doesn't.

I would strongly advise against buying Dlink products based on my expereince
tonight with their "support".

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:14:12 GMT

--192.168.0.26Vivotek1104124452

*** Periodic snapshots ***
From:
http://192.168.0.26
Time: Dec/27/2004 00:14:11
Note: ncam6

Old December 28th 04, 01:05 PM
bumtracks

Guess you've tried a reset, powerdown, reload firmware, and manually
reconfig everything rather than a saved config.

Really Other than that what can Dlink do ?

Maybe try a simple local mail server to see if then cam mail works ?
I use a small freeware Windows mail server on the LAN here for everything
InetServ http://www.avtronics.net/inetserv.php

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:14:12 GMT

--192.168.0.26Vivotek1104124452

*** Periodic snapshots ***
From:
http://192.168.0.26
Time: Dec/27/2004 00:14:11
Note: ncam6

Old December 31st 04, 03:20 AM
johnQdoe

reset? Yes too many times to remember
powerdown? Yes, many times
reload firmware? Version 1.0 is all there is. Nothing new since product
release.
manually reconfig everything? Been at it for 2 weeks. Ran out of config
variations to try. Nothing works.

What can Dlink do? How about take this camera off the market until it
actually does what they claim it will do? Maybe provide a way to see what
the heck it is sending to the smtp or ftp server. "debug" mode on the
camera gives no more information than what is already displayed in the log.

Thanks, I'll give Inetserv a try. But I don't see anything in any D-Link
documentation that says I have to run my own SMTP mail server. This is
supposed to be a consumer product!

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:14:12 GMT

boundary="192.168.0.26Vivotek1104124452";
type="text/plain"

--192.168.0.26Vivotek1104124452

*** Periodic snapshots ***
From: