IP Camera

Old June 8th 04, 06:13 AM
Chuck Yerkes

Kim wrote:
"Noël®" wrote in message ...
"Kim" wrote in message

I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.

So someone came to your house to bring the device, made sure it
was set up and running right, to your satisfaction and charged
more than you can get it for by mail order on a discount day.

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

If a stranger could get access to your camera(s) and could watch
them, would you be uncomfortable?

The ONE place I'm happy with a wireless camera is one of the roof,
but you can get that through a website.

Another one is serving a duck's nest to several hundred people from
pennsylvania.

If it's wireless, I *presume* someone in line of site is also
on that network.

I IPSEC from laptop into the wired net through a firewall. I've built
firewalls for 12 years; mine are on par with ones at large trading
firms. (I've *implemented* them at large trading firms, so...)

I'd noted a friend who saw someone getting DHCP (fine) and battering
at his firewall. He got out his PDA being a sniffer and found a kid
in his dad's car a little bit down the street trying to hack in.
Scared teh crap out of him when he knocked on the windows (6'3" ex
army Ranger). Is teaching him programming, rather than cracking.

Old June 8th 04, 06:54 AM
Kim

"David Gerard" wrote in message . ..
Hunt around and you will find many ways to link to any wireless camera that
has an IP address, much more secure with a wired connection
David

"Kim" wrote in message
m...
"Noël®" wrote in message

"Kim" wrote in message
om...
| (Jerry) wrote in message

m...
| I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| type of IP camera?
|
| I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
| have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
| show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
| It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
| baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.

What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo

Messenger,
and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it

also
work with MSN?

Noël

I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

This is why the system that I have is so neat. There is no Ethernet
wiring and it's not wireless Ethernet. I do not have to worry about
the wirless network security problem.
Old June 8th 04, 10:16 AM
bumtracks

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

This is why the system that I have is so neat. There is no Ethernet
wiring and it's not wireless Ethernet. I do not have to worry about
the wirless network security problem.

If he plugged a little box into the outlet for computer connectivity all
your neighbors can do the same and not even realize they just put you on the
internet for the world to see.
Wi-fi has/is better security,,, at least then its just stolen into one
computer. Wifi really is pretty safe stuff unless someone with know-how
has reason to want in. With all the states doing legislation now to make
it criminal to electronicly trespass its becomming very dangerious for the
theif - you better have something worthy of making me rich if I'm gonna be
jumping into your wifi network.

Few intruders are being made examples of lately by new state and even city
laws thanks to politics and fear... won't be long and little joe hoennies
parents get handcuffed and fined out the snazoo as examples.
It'll end up a federal crime, could get a new wanna be elected official lots
of extra votes as so many people are scared of their lack of knowledge of
wifi like some here. Some people are scarred funny.

Old June 8th 04, 08:41 PM
BJ Erickson

Wi-fi has/is better security,,, at least then its just stolen into one
computer. Wifi really is pretty safe stuff unless someone with
know-how has reason to want in.

wifi is not wifi. WEP is pretty easy to crack--most script kiddies can do
it. WPA is tougher, but still crackable. 802.11i will be much better. But
will these cameras have the horsepower to do it? I doubt it. Wire for me.
BJE
Old June 8th 04, 09:14 PM
Jerry

"bumtracks" wrote in message ...
[...]

I tested the box Kim talked about. The TLC IP Camera has an option for
networking through powerline. It uses DES encryption. Unless you have
the code, you will not be able to see the camera. The security is
supposedly better than the wireless network. But the real problem it
solved for me is the wireless dead spot problem. There are certain
rooms in my house which does not get good wireless signal. I have no
problems connecting to the TLC IP Camera through the powerline. The
only thing that you need to be careful is that you should not plug
that into a power strip with surge filter. It will filter out the
signal.

A little soap box on wireless. The problem that I have with wireless
is that it has known security bugs in the encryption algorithm. There
are too many public domain tools that my neighbor's kid can download.
According to a study using these tools, it takes on average of 16
hours to crack a home wireless network with encryption. It only takes
on average of 2 hours to crack a company's wireless network. I am
afraid that my neighbor's high school kid will download the tool and
watch my wireless home video the next day. This is the reason why I
returned my D-link and Linksys wireless IP cameras.
Old June 8th 04, 10:58 PM
bumtracks

you know,,, i get along with the neighbors,, if the kids want to watch one
or more of the wifi cams here be it by hack or by ask -- ahh,,, im not sure
i would promote it but dont think I'd seriously mind... i have nothing to
hide anytime of the day and at night the cheapo cams dont do night worth a
darn anyhow... if they enjoy seeing me move into the shower or something
they've got more of a problem than I. Probably would be free added security
if i were to give them address and login/password to the exterior cams.

Any Joe Schmo that parks his car for more than a few moments around here
already will have a cop tapping on his window in no time. No security cams
needed with bold alert neighbors.

Old June 9th 04, 05:50 AM
Chuck Yerkes

bumtracks wrote:
you know,,, i get along with the neighbors,, if the kids want to watch one
or more of the wifi cams here be it by hack or by ask -- ahh,,, im not sure
i would promote it but dont think I'd seriously mind... i have nothing to
hide anytime of the day and at night the cheapo cams dont do night worth a
darn anyhow... if they enjoy seeing me move into the shower or something
they've got more of a problem than I. Probably would be free added security
if i were to give them address and login/password to the exterior cams.

Any Joe Schmo that parks his car for more than a few moments around here
already will have a cop tapping on his window in no time. No security cams
needed with bold alert neighbors.

Right. Because I need to be near you.

And you're confident enough about the ever present police to leave your
keys in your door? No?

Me? I can have attitude. As I arrived early to pick up a friend,
I parked and the police tapped on my window (in sometime). Asked me
if I "needed help." No thanks. "What are you doing?" Listening to
the radio. Bottom line, I'm legal and parked. The laws for sitting
in a car with a laptop are NIL. The laws for running a radio receiver
(gather packets) are NIL.

Or I don't have to be near you. I live on a hill. With a directional
antenna (made with a can and about $5 of misc hardware craps plus a $20
plug I had), I can "see" (enough to gather packets) about 15 networks.

I know, from experience, that I can can leave a laptop or PDA to
gather data, take that data and break that later. In the background.
No effort at all.

Once I have the key, THEN I can get near.

Oh, but in driving down for dinner a couple nights ago, I just
left the laptop on. We passed 35 WAPs. 13 of them were secured.
I can bet that most of them had default admin passwords. Certain
ones have backdoors on them.

But the bottom line is that
1) WEP is deeply flawed. It was developed without public peer
review and fell almost immediately after it was made public.
2) If you have things on or attached to your wireless network
it is trivial for someone to see that traffic and that machine.
3) You can click your heels together all you want and wish, but this
is reality.

Presume it and act accordingly. I just have my WAP on a third DMZ
network. I expect that someone is looking at the traffic. I don't
care. They look at encrypted traffic. Or soon, a camera. That they
can see on a website anyway.

Or keep clicking your heels.

A story: Fedex (UPS?) used to use pushbutton locks on their pickup
boxes. They were assured of its security by the company they bought
from - "Million of combinations". Common enough lock. Someone did
a little math and figured out there were around 1000 combinations.
Not millions. Tried to talk to the company and were shutdown.
Talked with FedEX but were disbelieved.

So they spent 2 hours at a fedex box. Oh, wait. All the fedex
boxes are the same. So avoid suspicion. Spend a few minutes at each
box. In a couple afternoons, they gave the number to FedEX. Who
stopped disbelieving. started threatening. Er, "we told you,but
our POINT is that this is *trivial*. And lots of other people have
those locks."

We had one at work. On an inside door which is fine. Owner wanted
one on the front door. I found the magazine article.

Someone else found that there were easier ways get a combo. The whole
notion was deeply broken and bad security.

Denial doesn't fix it.

So I can park outside your house, or 1,000 feet away. Or anywhere in
line of site. Cops can knock. *It's NOT ILLEGAL*. I can get all
teh traffic I need in an hour on a busy net. My PDA will last that
long. On my car seat with me gone.

I can crack it in a few hours in the background on a machine.

Is it "worth it". Well there are plenty of kids and other folks
snagging neighbors' network for free bandwidth. Do people WANT to?
My experience is YES. Why? I can't say.

Want that great feeling when you find your machine is a spamming
monster? Or your network was used for more nefarious purposes (trust
me, it's a bad feeling).

But keep clicking your heels.
Old June 9th 04, 12:57 PM
bumtracks

imagine you are in the security business
All of us learn a lot through our lifetimes.
Some preach one thing and admit opposite.
That makes sense from a preacher.
Click your hills, maybe a little gay sounding but ok,,
I'll click mine three times thank you.