Veo Observer behind Firewall

Old October 28th 03, 08:47 PM
Rob K

Default Veo Observer behind Firewall

I have a Veo Observer, and have it working fine.

If I set the ports 80 (http) and 1600 (video according to veo) on my
firewall to route to my Veo, I can access it from the outside world.

However, if I go into the Veo Observer setup utility, and change the
"http" port of my veo to 5777 (for eample), then things don't quite
work.

If I go to my site on port 5777 (http:www.test.com:5777) I get the
first Veo web page. I click "english" and I do get the Veo sign-on
popup.

I type in my UserID and Password, and click login, then I get an error
saying "...1. Network connection is not established. 2. Make sure
the camera port is not blocked. (Default http port:80, Video
port:1600).

If I try doing this internally on my network
(http://192.168.1.125:5777) everything works fine.

Even if I open up port 80, it still gives the same message.

I am using a D-link 614+ Firewall/router.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I tried to get to the Veo site today, but it was dead. So here is the
next best thing!

- Rob K -

I changed the port used to view to (for example) 5770. Then on my
Firewall/Router, I have NAT direct ports 5770 and 1600 to the IP
address of my Veo.

When I go to my web site (http://www.example.com:5700) I see the Veo
web page. I click the button to sign on, and I do get the signon
popup. But when I click ok to sign on, I get an error saying
something about the ports
Old October 29th 03, 01:49 PM
Giorgio Ungarelli

"Rob K" wrote in message
om...
I have a Veo Observer, and have it working fine.

If I set the ports 80 (http) and 1600 (video according to veo) on my
firewall to route to my Veo, I can access it from the outside world.

However, if I go into the Veo Observer setup utility, and change the
"http" port of my veo to 5777 (for eample), then things don't quite
work.

If I go to my site on port 5777 (http:www.test.com:5777) I get the
first Veo web page. I click "english" and I do get the Veo sign-on
popup.

I type in my UserID and Password, and click login, then I get an error
saying "...1. Network connection is not established. 2. Make sure
the camera port is not blocked. (Default http port:80, Video
port:1600).

As far as I can tell with my Wireless Veo Observer, it works only with ports
80-89 (which means video 1600-1609) and not higher numbers like 5777, but I
could be wrong. Try on your private LAN to change the http port and see
just how high you can go (89, 90, 100, etc) and still get the video stream.

Also, for internet access, keep in mind that if you change your http port to
81 and open port 81 on your firewall, make sure you also open port 1601.

Good luck.

Giorgio

Old October 30th 03, 05:41 AM
WIlliam C Tidwell 111

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 30th 03, 02:34 PM
Lothar

Can you access a single frame image from veo observer? i.e. something
like http://yourip:1601/image.jpg

In article ,
WIlliam C Tidwell 111 wrote:

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 31st 03, 08:25 AM
Giorgio Ungarelli

"Lothar" wrote in message
Can you access a single frame image from veo observer? i.e. something
like http://yourip:1601/image.jpg

I am currently using Webcam Watcher Pro from Beausoft at
http://www.beausoft.com/
It is a complete product but it is not cheap at $99.00 for a single Veo
Observer webcam license.
With it, however, you can do pretty much anything you'd want your Veo
Observer.

Giorgio

In article ,
WIlliam C Tidwell 111 wrote:

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 31st 03, 03:45 PM
Lothar

What I want to do can't be done from a pc based webcam program. I'm
using a remote server to access still images, so I'm still wanting to
know if still images can be accessed directly. http://iport/images.jpg
for example

WIlliam C Tidwell 111 wrote:

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 31st 03, 04:20 PM
Giorgio Ungarelli

"Lothar" wrote in message
What I want to do can't be done from a pc based webcam program. I'm
using a remote server to access still images, so I'm still wanting to
know if still images can be accessed directly. http://iport/images.jpg
for example

You probably need to contact Veo directly for this (but I've heard that
their support is not, shall we say, "the best").
They do supply a library of calls for you to write your own software (that
is how Webcam Watcher Pro was written, I am told).
In any case the camera does not "keep" images, it just sends the current
image to the calling program. Therefore you will have to have a PC or other
box sitting somewhere "between" the camera and you that will store the
images for you as they are received by the camera. You will then be able to
access this box remotely as you described above
( http://iport/images.jpg ) if you install a web server on the box and
have it point to the directory where the images are stored.

Hope this helps...

Giorgio

WIlliam C Tidwell 111 wrote:

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 31st 03, 05:59 PM
Lothar

Thanks. I appreciate your attempt to answer my question. I guess I'll
have to contact the manufacturer. Do you have one of these webcams up
and running somewhere? I'd like to see how good the image is, how it
works etc.

WIlliam C Tidwell 111 wrote:

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 31st 03, 07:15 PM
Giorgio Ungarelli

E-mail me personally with a proper return e-mail address
bounced) and I'll give you more details on my setup (remove the "*no_spam*"
from the e-mail address given).

WIlliam C Tidwell 111 wrote:

Thnks for suggestion Giorgio

now works fine

would have been helpfut had VEO explained it

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:49:33 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

. com...

Old November 1st 03, 04:15 PM
David Pinero

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:20:39 +0100, "Giorgio Ungarelli"
wrote:

In any case the camera does not "keep" images, it just sends the current
image to the calling program. Therefore you will have to have a PC or other

This is exactly what I've been trying to warn people about. It will
NOT be possible to use this camera for webcam pages. There are no
built-in FTP functions that will deliver a static image to a web
server. Veo advertises itself as a streaming network camera, and
that's exactly what it is.

As a general lesson to everyone, make sure that when you're
considering a network camera to DOUBLE CHECK that it will FTP images,
that it will FTP images at a rate of 1 per minute (for a time one
would FTP every single image from the live stream with no way to
control that rate), and that it will produce a "base" file name which
a static webcam page can be coded to embed. For example
"current-image.jpg".

Realize that the manufacturers of network cams appear to assume that
nearly everyone who purchases one wants to provide live streaming or
utilize live streaming to monitor things remotely. Indeed, many of us
do. However, while network camera manufacturers appear fixated on the
live streaming, the other 50% of what we want is the ability to
provide a static image for a traditional web cam page. Even the
network cameras that DO allow for this seem to make light of it in
their product manuals. To me, as it may be to the person who asked
this question, it is far more important to be able to deliver an FTP
image to a webcam page for presentation than it is to stream video. I
wouldn't BUY a network camera because it streams, I would buy it
because it operates as its own device, thereby freeing up the CPU and
memory resources on my desktop PC. I'd use network cameras because I
could standardize the cameras I use since network cameras allow for
255 of them to be installed. In other words, I'd buy it because it's
a NETWORK camera, not a STREAMING camera. I would, therefore, expect
that it would operate like a tethered webcam in every other way.

The Veo is strictly a video streamer. It's even a GOOD one. But if
you're looking to provide images to a webcam page with static images,
the Veo won't do it. Be careful!

Dave