Low cost web-cam monitoring software?

Old May 30th 08, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Gary

Default Low cost web-cam monitoring software?

Here's a free program that you can set up to capture images on a schedule.
I used it for a long time for my birdhouse camera. It will capture still
images and save them to a file and/or ftp them to a remote site.

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme

If you need video here's a low-cost program ~$20USD that you can try:

http://www.tincam.com/

They're both super easy to set up if all you're wanting is to save the files
for review later!
--
Gary
Visit Lucy & Gary and do the jigsaw puzzle at

wrote in message
I am in the unique position to offer some assistance to a company in
the form of webcam monitoring. They don't want to spend anything, but
it might lead to a job for me.
Can someone fill me in on a cheap or even free webcam monitoring
software that I can use?

The computer would be running 8-10 hours during the day
the webcam would need to ALWAYS be capturing the images

I am hoping this is easy to set up, but time will tell.

Thanks in advance,

Old May 30th 08, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Wow, that is great. It looks very comprehensive for such an
inexpensive piece of software. If it can let me archive the videos/
images streams as well as schedule times and dates to turn on and off,
I think I have a winner.
Thanks for that. Do you have a site that you have this webcam running
on?

Old May 30th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Well, I can't seem to get Tincam to capture via schedule for video. I
have emailed the creator, but haven't heard back yet. I also wanted
to capture every 2 seconds from a spefic time (let's say 5:00 everyday
until 6:00) but that doesn't seem to have that ability either...I will
have to keep looking

Old May 31st 08, 02:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Steve Foley

On May 29, 10:16 pm, "Gary" wrote:

Here's a free program that you can set up to capture images on a
schedule.
I used it for a long time for my birdhouse camera. It will capture
still
images and save them to a file and/or ftp them to a remote site.

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme

If you need video here's a low-cost program ~$20USD that you can try:

http://www.tincam.com/

They're both super easy to set up if all you're wanting is to save the
files
for review later!
--

I've used WME to record using task manager. You can start recording with a
command line and specify a duration for that recording.

Set up a session to record and save to a file. Use the VBS script to start
it. Something like this:

cscript "c:\program files\windows media components\encoder\wmcmd.vbs" -wme
myfile.wme -duration 3600

Your script can now move/copy the saved file.

Old May 31st 08, 09:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
skibber[_2_]

On 28-05-2008 14:59:16, wrote:
I am in the unique position to offer some assistance to a company in
the form of webcam monitoring. They don't want to spend anything, but
it might lead to a job for me.
Can someone fill me in on a cheap or even free webcam monitoring
software that I can use?

The computer would be running 8-10 hours during the day
the webcam would need to ALWAYS be capturing the images

I am hoping this is easy to set up, but time will tell.

Thanks in advance,

Active Webcam not lowcost but 100% ok
i have used it for many years now.

Take a look.
http://www.pysoft.com/

/skibber
Old May 31st 08, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
kim

skibber wrote:
On 28-05-2008 14:59:16, wrote:
I am in the unique position to offer some assistance to a company in
the form of webcam monitoring. They don't want to spend anything, but
it might lead to a job for me.
Can someone fill me in on a cheap or even free webcam monitoring
software that I can use?

The computer would be running 8-10 hours during the day
the webcam would need to ALWAYS be capturing the images

I am hoping this is easy to set up, but time will tell.

Thanks in advance,

Active Webcam not lowcost but 100% ok
i have used it for many years now.

Take a look.
http://www.pysoft.com/

/skibber

I have been using a program called Conquercam available from he
http://www.theill.com/ConquerCam/
It is not free, but only costs US$10. It hasn't been updated for a very
long time, but has worked without problems for me for over 4 years.
It has the ability to capture at any user specified interval (seconds to
days), save the images to a local folder and/or upload it to the web,
capture video, motion detection with full user masking and sensitivity
control (either video or still images). Full captioning abilities (if
required) with date/time stamping and/or user defined text placed
anywhere on the image. Very small resources required and will run under
any MS OS from Win95 to XP. Full scheduling ability to start/stop any
time either daily or user defined days. It will accept the input from
any USB camera or a video capture card (I am using it for that....I have
a CCTV camera plugged into the composite input of a capture card). It
will also accept the input from a digital or old analogue video camera
providing the appropriate drivers are installed. I have had it accept
the input from my Canon MV150i DV camera connected via firewire.
Currently I have it running for about 10 hours per day (on
average...some days it is less, some days more), 7 days a week, but I
used to have it running 24 hours a day when I was capturing images from
some endangered birds that were nesting in our front yard!.
On a typical day it will save from 1100 to 2200 images to my HDD. Using
3rd party software (the free Photolapse fro instance) these can be
compiled into a timelapse video.
You can see conquercam in operation he
http://users.tpg.com.au/athorncr/ during daylight hours (Australian Time
(UTC+10))
Old June 1st 08, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

I have been testing out the conquercam and I can't seem to get it to
capture video at a schedule. It seems to capture an image, but for
some reason won't start capturing a video. I am also noting that when
capturing an image on my harddrive (I am not using this attached to a
ftp or the internet) that it directly copies over the old image on the
harddrive without renaming or renumbering it.
So, I have tried to get a hold of the guy from conquercam on their
forum, but nothing so far.
How are you capturing video on a schedule? I am not using motion
capture, but instead just want the video to start recording at a
certain time and then stop at a certain time...

[...]

(UTC+10))- Hide quoted text -

Old June 1st 08, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't even know where to start with Visual
Basic. Does the scheduler need to have commands? I tried to run
Tincam with the sceduler and got an error, but I didn't see a place to
put in the cmd line. Does the script go in the encoder folder or
somewhere else?

I've used WME to record using task manager. You can start recording with a
command line and specify a duration for that recording.

Set up a session to record and save to a file. Use the VBS script to start
it. Something like this:

cscript "c:\program files\windows media components\encoder\wmcmd.vbs" -wme
myfile.wme -duration 3600

Your script can now move/copy the saved file.- Hide quoted text -

Old June 1st 08, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Steve Foley

"daviddschool" wrote in message
Steve,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't even know where to start with Visual
Basic. Does the scheduler need to have commands? I tried to run
Tincam with the sceduler and got an error, but I didn't see a place to
put in the cmd line. Does the script go in the encoder folder or
somewhere else?

I've used WME to record using task manager. You can start recording with
command line and specify a duration for that recording.

Set up a session to record and save to a file. Use the VBS script to
start
it. Something like this:

cscript "c:\program files\windows media
components\encoder\wmcmd.vbs" -wme
myfile.wme -duration 3600

Your script can now move/copy the saved file.- Hide quoted text -

If you're using XP, the Task Scheduler is built in. You don't need to know
VB. The script (wmcmd.vbs) comes with Media Encoder, or one of the other
free Windows Media downloads from Microsoft.

If you schedule the above command (starting with cscript), it will start at
the specified time.

Old June 1st 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Do I just type this into a cmd dialogue box?

cscript "c:\program files\windows media
components\encoder\wmcmd.vbs" -wme
myfile.wme -duration 3600

And does this enable me to work with more specific times after the
script is loaded?

cscript "c:\program files\windows media
components\encoder\wmcmd.vbs" -wme
myfile.wme -duration 3600

Your script can now move/copy the saved file.- Hide quoted text -

If you're using XP, the Task Scheduler is built in. You don't need to know
VB. The script (wmcmd.vbs) comes with Media Encoder, or one of the other
free Windows Media downloads from Microsoft.

If you schedule the above command (starting with cscript), it will start at
the specified time.- Hide quoted text -