Conflict betw MSFT Comfort Keyboard & Screensaver

Old January 30th 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
belvedere

Default Conflict betw MSFT Comfort Keyboard & Screensaver

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional, purchased
12/04. All my drivers are up to date. My problem is I recently
purchased a MSFT Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A which came with a MSFT
Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. As soon as I installed the keyboard and
mouse, my screen saver stopped working completely. I scouted around
various forums and learned that 1) MSFT knows about this problem but
doesn’t offer any viable solution except to suggest how to isolate the
conflicting program in msconfig, and 2) I isolated the conflicting
program, Cyberlink Power DVD, in msconfig/start, which I unchecked.
Now my screen saver works, but only at one minute, no matter what it is
set at in Power Management. I know the problem is related to the
keyboard and mouse because if I unplug them, then the PC screen saver
works properly at whatever setting I choose. The Cyberlink Power DVD
was pre-installed when I bought the Dell PC. I’ve received a new
download of Power DVD 5.0 from Cyberlink directly but it does not
change my screen saver problem. What do I need to do to correct the
problem? It is very annoying to have my PC screen go black every
minute.

--
belvedere
belvedere's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=712

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old January 30th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"belvedere" wrote in message

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional, purchased
12/04. All my drivers are up to date. My problem is I recently
purchased a MSFT Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A which came with a MSFT
Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. As soon as I installed the keyboard and
mouse, my screen saver stopped working completely.

snip

What do I need to do to correct the
problem? It is very annoying to have my PC screen go black every
minute.

snip

Replace the keyboard and mouse. No, I'm not kidding.

Stew

Old January 31st 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i'd say to dump the software that came with the kb and mouse first.
it's not needed unless you want to program the extra buttons and if it
works without it, then you're better off. also the dvd software is not
needed in memory either. i would take them both out.

Old January 31st 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
belvedere

Thank you Jay B for your suggestions. I would like to think that there
is a solution that allows me to use the functions of the keyboard. At
any rate, if I uninstall the kb and mouse software, then how do I use
them? Would I simply plug them in, and voila, the PC picks up new
devices?? Also, what do I do to not have the DVD software in memory?
It is presently unchecked in msconfig/start. What else should I do??

Old February 1st 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

the software i mentioned will not stop the devices from working, they
are only extra to allow the extra buttons across the top of the keyboard
to be programmed to what you want, also, you dont need the dvd software
in memory all the time. it is sitting there looking at everything and
will pop up something when you insert a dvd. foolish waste of
resources. insert the disk and let windows autoplay handle it. not a
big deal.
you should also download a program like hijackthis
which will allow you to get a list of all of your startup options, and
post that list here so we can take a look at it to see if there is
something that would cause this interference.