Web Cam Monitor Solution: Expert Advice Needed!

Old June 5th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Default Web Cam Monitor Solution: Expert Advice Needed!

"Fitzwilliam Darcy" wrote in message ps.com...
I would like to remotely monitor my ailing mother in her home using
three web cams. This will allow me and my brothers to check on her
periodically throughout the day.

webcamXP may help you. It can do multiple cameras at once and push the images up onto a web page that you could view from any
computer.

Old June 8th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

I got one of the cameras in to test it. Everything works great. I can
access the camera using my browser and camera IP.

The problem is that I have a cable modem and my ISP dynamically assigns
IPs. I do not know how to find out the IP to my router so it can be
accessed remotely.

I can find out my IP by going to one of those 'show my ip' web sites.
But when I try to use that IP to access the camera, it doesn't work.

I know everything is working correctly and I followed all instructions
to make sure the ports were open on my router. But when I try to access
the IP from the web using the ISP dynamically assigned IP, it just
times out.

How can I determine the dynamically assigned IP of my router? I imagine
accessing that would allow me to view the cameras remotely.

Old June 9th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

"Fitzwilliam Darcy" wrote in message ups.com...
I got one of the cameras in to test it. Everything works great. I can
access the camera using my browser and camera IP.

The problem is that I have a cable modem and my ISP dynamically assigns
IPs. I do not know how to find out the IP to my router so it can be
accessed remotely.

I can find out my IP by going to one of those 'show my ip' web sites.
But when I try to use that IP to access the camera, it doesn't work.

I know everything is working correctly and I followed all instructions
to make sure the ports were open on my router. But when I try to access
the IP from the web using the ISP dynamically assigned IP, it just
times out.

How can I determine the dynamically assigned IP of my router? I imagine
accessing that would allow me to view the cameras remotely.

do an ipconfig on the computer in question and report the numbers here.

Old June 9th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

do an ipconfig on the computer in question and report the numbers here.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I think I know the answer to this problem.

Locally, I have an IP that I use to talk to my router. Within my ISP I
have an IP that corresponds to my router. And of course, there is an
external WAN IP that can be accessed from anywhere on the Internet.

Interestingly, anyone within my ISP, regardless of geographic location
can access my router based on the internal WAN IP. So the camera works
for anyone that is a customer of my ISP; however, anyone outside of my
ISP cannot get to my router with the external WAN IP.

So:

Locally, I can access my router with this: 192.x.x.x
Within my ISP all customers can reach my router with: 172.x.x.x

But anyone outside of my ISP cannot reach it with: 64.x.x.x

It is a dynamic IP but has not changed since I got it. But apparently
they have firewalls preventing anyone from coming in. I can buy a
static IP for a monthly fee.

The other option is to find an ISP that allows you to access that
external WAN IP. Medicom claims you can on their tech support line, but
I am not sure.

Thank you again. What a huge pain

Old June 9th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

On 8 Jun 2006 14:17:26 -0700, "Fitzwilliam Darcy"
wrote:

I got one of the cameras in to test it. Everything works great. I can
access the camera using my browser and camera IP.

The problem is that I have a cable modem and my ISP dynamically assigns
IPs. I do not know how to find out the IP to my router so it can be
accessed remotely.

I can find out my IP by going to one of those 'show my ip' web sites.
But when I try to use that IP to access the camera, it doesn't work.

I know everything is working correctly and I followed all instructions
to make sure the ports were open on my router. But when I try to access
the IP from the web using the ISP dynamically assigned IP, it just
times out.

How can I determine the dynamically assigned IP of my router? I imagine
accessing that would allow me to view the cameras remotely.

You use a dynamic IP service like the free no-ip setup like
below.

http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html

Old June 14th 06, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Thomasville, Georgia ? fwiw: Verizon and AT&T both show DSL availability
for the area .

Sounds like your wan is a nat connection going through your isp's firewall.
You may need to call them to find out which ports they will allow you to use
for network cameras ... that along with using one of the dynamic ip
services at something like dyndns.com should get you going.