Streaming Using Windows Media Technologies Via IP address

Old January 26th 06, 06:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Default Streaming Using Windows Media Technologies Via IP address

Hi everyone:

I am wondering something.

Earlier tonight, I was fiddling around with a program that will create
an embedded (on a web page) Windows Media Player which, assuming it's
working correctly, would stream my cam (both audio and video) straight
out for the whole world to see with only my IP address as a "server".

Basically, while there would be no *physical* server (unless I were to
start archiving video for some reason), my goal is to set up my cam
stream whereas it uses Windows Media Technologies for streaming, but
WITHOUT the added expen$$$e of a Windows Media hosting service or other
provider of WMT as I don't own my own company or business or whatnot.
I'm just your average Pat.

My only question is CAN THIS BE DONE?? If so, I'd love to know how to
set up WME to handle this (I've already indicated this to the webcam
newsgroup). I'd need a web page with screenshots so as to not miss a thing.

If, for some reason, it *can't* be done, well....I will have at least
accomplished the task of ASKING those in the know.

In any case....I look forward to your replies

Cheers

Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado
http://patspodcast.blogspot.com/ (Scroll down to the webcam section of
the sidebar on the right)
Old January 26th 06, 10:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

"Pat Cook" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes.. Use the free windows media encoder.

Old January 26th 06, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
. ..
Hi everyone:

I am wondering something.

Earlier tonight, I was fiddling around with a program that will create an
embedded (on a web page) Windows Media Player which, assuming it's working
correctly, would stream my cam (both audio and video) straight out for the
whole world to see with only my IP address as a "server".

[snip...]

My only question is CAN THIS BE DONE?? If so, I'd love to know how to set
up WME to handle this (I've already indicated this to the webcam
newsgroup). I'd need a web page with screenshots so as to not miss a
thing.

[snip...]

Yes.. Use the free windows media encoder.

How would I go about setting it up? Would need a page with screenshots
(especially when it comes to configuring the current embedded player I
have).

Cheers

Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado
Old January 26th 06, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
. ..

a small (old) howto in PDF: http://webcam.kijk.info/how/how2.pdf

Old January 26th 06, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That should work. Checking it out now.

Cheers

Pat
Old January 26th 06, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You will still need a place to host your website (any free place will do)
and some extra html code on that page.
The html code should look something like this:
http://webcam.kijk.info/how/code.html

Noel

Old January 26th 06, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
"Pat Cook" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I already have some similar code at http://patspodcast.blogspot.com/ now
(Scroll down to the Studio Cam section) but now I have a new issue entirely.

The audio is sssslllloooowwww and deep in pitch. Plus I never did get
video on the page, though the external player can display it in
(strangely enough) modern skin mode. Is this normal? The stream is
running at about 140K on a custom built PC with an AMD Duron 1 Ghz., 512
MB of RAM and Windows XP Home Edition. It should also be noted it's my
only computer and the stream (as one would expect) takes up almost all
the CPU.

Cheers
Old January 27th 06, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

I already have some similar code at http://patspodcast.blogspot.com/ now
(Scroll down to the Studio Cam section) but now I have a new issue
entirely.

The audio is sssslllloooowwww and deep in pitch. Plus I never did get
video on the page, though the external player can display it in (strangely
enough) modern skin mode. Is this normal? The stream is running at about
140K on a custom built PC with an AMD Duron 1 Ghz., 512 MB of RAM and
Windows XP Home Edition. It should also be noted it's my only computer
and the stream (as one would expect) takes up almost all the CPU.

Pat, try some other compression profiles (start with only one, and add more
if needed)
The more profiles, the more CPU it will use! Same for the video and audio
bit rate and size.. The higher the more..

I do not know what your upload speed is, but if it's 256K (as an example)
and with your 140K stream only one person can really look at the stream at
one time
140x2= 380K (it will even be a bit more) As you can see.. You can give 256K
but it needs 380K..

Also.. It will help a bit if you get more MB of RAM. The CPU is okay I think
(I never used an AMD Duron)

Noel

Old January 27th 06, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Hi everyone:

Noël wrote:
Pat, try some other compression profiles (start with only one, and add more
if needed)

Have done that and believe I've found one or two I really like (at least
for a webcam stream that is ).
I have it at roughly 162K now, but when you consider just how many
people would watch a cam stream with no porn on it, I don't believe
bandwidth will become an issue.

I do not know what your upload speed is, but if it's 256K (as an example)
and with your 140K stream only one person can really look at the stream at
one time
140x2= 380K (it will even be a bit more) As you can see.. You can give 256K
but it needs 380K..

Actually your calculous is off. 140 x 2 = 280 (NOT 380 as indicated
above). Just a minor correction.

Also.. It will help a bit if you get more MB of RAM. The CPU is okay I think
(I never used an AMD Duron)

Well suffice to say it's quite old (It came with the motherboard). In
fact it's so old, it's doubtful I can even find anyone who carries the
memory sticks that this motherboard (A VIA AC97) will accept.

So until I have the $$$ to get a new system, I'm stuck with this one for
the time being. :/

But in any case, I will keep toying around with the profiles to get the
best possible results. In the meantime, I invite you and everyone else
on these newsgroups to FEEL FREE to check out my new cam stream on any
one of my blog pages (except the medical one) below.

Cheers

Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado
AS PAT'S WORLD TURNS - http://aspatsworldturns.blogspot.com/
PAT'S REAL DEAL BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.blogspot.com/
PAT'S WORLD OF MEDICAL WONDERS - http://patsmedicalwonders.blogspot.com/
NUKE 102 | PAT'S PODCAST - http://patspodcast.blogspot.com/
PAT'S VIDEO BLOG - http://patsvideoblog.blogspot.com/
DUMBASS IDIOTS VIDEO BLOG - http://dumbassidiots.blogspot.com/
AGAINST THE STORM (Online Soap Opera) - http://againstthestorm.blogspot.com/
RSS Feeds Available On Each Page (EXCEPT MEDICAL)
Old January 27th 06, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.beta.server,alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Actually your calculous is off. 140 x 2 = 280 (NOT 380 as indicated
above). Just a minor correction.

Sorry about that error .. I'm sure I typed 280 :-)

Anyway.. I've had a look at your stream, and it does looks really nice! Well
done!

Best regards,

Noel