Aria avoid issuing RMA for certain line items...

Old November 17th 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Aria avoid issuing RMA for certain line items...

Digimate TFT just went on the blink. Went to do an RMA, clicked on the
Order and the page listed all the items with checkbox'es so I could select
which ones to RMA... but ...

The Digimate monitor did not have a check box, but text indicating I
should deal with Digimate directly!! This seems to indicate Aria's
general direction re. customer service!

Although it would invalidate my statutory rights if I proceed, I did call
Digimate who would pick it up next day, and they seemed quite helpful,
answered the phone quickly...
However what about my dead pixel check ? (Which ironically was also listed
on the RMA page with a link through to Digimate). It's nothing to do
with Digimate. And there is a possibility that Digimate will send me
back a monitor with dead pixels..

I guess I should call Aria first to get a statement from them re. my
statutory rights....

Lordy
Old November 17th 05, 01:51 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:39:54 +0000, Lordy wrote:

I guess I should call Aria first to get a statement from them re. my
statutory rights....

I sent them a Web-email thingy as follows :

"I tried to generate an RMA for a Digimate monitor an the page says: "Please contact the manufacturer directly using the information below."

My understanding is that dealing with the Manufacturer directly
invalidates my statutory rights. For example the Manufacturer may choose
not to honour the waranty, or may only replace a faulty monitor once, and
if it went to court I have no comeback because Digimate have no legal
obligation to me.

What is your position on this? Where is it in writing that by referring me
to the manufacturer, that I have not broken my sales contract because I
was forced by your website to do this?
Or if I do lose by statutory rights, isnt it bad for your website to be
encouraging this?"

Lordy

Old November 17th 05, 03:21 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Lordy wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:39:54 +0000, Lordy wrote:

I guess I should call Aria first to get a statement from them re. my
statutory rights....

I sent them a Web-email thingy as follows :

Good luck trying to get any response out of them. I spent about 6 weeks
trying to get them to respond to numerous faxes and e-mails and got very
little in response. I eventually got fed up and small claimed court the
*******s. Robert Waterworth, their "Customer Services Manager" (or he
was then, anyway) is particularly good at avoiding replying to e-mails
and faxes.
Old November 17th 05, 03:31 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Lordy wrote:
Digimate TFT just went on the blink. Went to do an RMA, clicked on the
Order and the page listed all the items with checkbox'es so I could select
which ones to RMA... but ...

The Digimate monitor did not have a check box, but text indicating I
should deal with Digimate directly!! This seems to indicate Aria's
general direction re. customer service!

Urgh. That doesn't surprise me one bit actually.

Although it would invalidate my statutory rights if I proceed, I did call
Digimate who would pick it up next day, and they seemed quite helpful,
answered the phone quickly...

Don't under any circumstances accept a replacement from Digimate
directly without thinking long and hard about the consequences. It does
indeed weaken your position under the Sale of Goods Act.

How long have you had the monitor?
Old November 17th 05, 03:35 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Chris Howells wrote:
Lordy wrote:

Digimate TFT just went on the blink. Went to do an RMA, clicked on the
Order and the page listed all the items with checkbox'es so I could
select
which ones to RMA... but ...

The Digimate monitor did not have a check box, but text indicating I
should deal with Digimate directly!! This seems to indicate Aria's
general direction re. customer service!

Urgh. That doesn't surprise me one bit actually.

Hrm. Looking at Aria's terms & conditions:

"# All goods supplied by the Supplier are warranted free from defects
for 12 months from the date of supply (unless otherwise stated). This
warranty does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer."

(The "Supplier" is defined earlier to be Aria, not the manufacturer)

Telling you to contact the manufacturer directly seems to be a breach of
their own terms & conditions!

Old November 17th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Lordy wrote:
[...]

Many products come with a guarantee from the manufacturer. This may
promise, for example, a free repair or replacement if a product goes
wrong within a certain time period. If the goods are still ‘under
guarantee’ when you have a problem, using the guarantee may be the
easiest and quickest way to sort it out. So how does my rights under the
guarantee relate to my rights under the Sale of Goods Act? Well,
manufacturers guarantees are in addition to your statutory rights. As
your local Trading Standards office will tell you, you can exercise
either route should you need to and can enforce your rights in the
manufacturers guarantee separately to the main contract with the retailer

If something you buy is faulty, your rights under the Sale of Goods Act
are against the retailer. This everyone knows. Any benefits given by a
guarantee are on top of these rights. The retailer cannot replace them
or take them away. This is why you will often see the phrase ‘this does
not affect your statutory rights’ with a guarantee or on a receipt, for
example. And you will still have your Sale of Goods rights even after
the guarantee has run out.
Old November 17th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

In article , Lordy
says...
[...]

No effect to them. FWIW with monitor manufacturers, you'll get a faster
and better service going to them direct rather than dealing with Aria.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old November 17th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Chris Howells wrote:

Don't under any circumstances accept a replacement from Digimate
directly without thinking long and hard about the consequences. It does
indeed weaken your position under the Sale of Goods Act.

So when my new washing machine breaks down during the warranty period
am I supposed to take it back to Comet and tell them to fix it instead
of letting the Hotpoint man come round and do it? Have I given up my
statutory rights if I go for the sensible option? What's the difference
between a monitor and a washing machine as far as the SOG is concerned?
Serious questions (probably better asked in uk.legal)

Old November 17th 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

peter wrote:

So when my new washing machine breaks down during the warranty period
am I supposed to take it back to Comet and tell them to fix it instead

Legally yes, your contract is with Coment, not Hotpoint.

of letting the Hotpoint man come round and do it? Have I given up my

I'd guess going to Comet and asking them to fix it would be a better
option. Ultimately they'll probably just get Hotpoint to come around and
fix it anyway.

statutory rights if I go for the sensible option? What's the difference
between a monitor and a washing machine as far as the SOG is concerned?
Serious questions (probably better asked in uk.legal)

The problem really occurs if you have problems with the replacement. (I
guess it'd be a similar story if it was repaired and not replaced).

If the manufacturer replaced the item the retailer might try to refuse
to deal with you any further, since it would not be the item supplied by
them. Not sure if they can legally do that, but if they maintain that
stance taking them to court is a lot of hassle and you could loose.

If you go back to the manufacturer for a second replacement, what
happens if they refuse to deal with you any further? Your contract was
with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Where does that leave you legally?

Old November 18th 05, 01:43 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:11:16 +0000, Dan Hicks wrote:

If something you buy is faulty, your rights under the Sale of Goods Act
are against the retailer. This everyone knows. Any benefits given by a
guarantee are on top of these rights. The retailer cannot replace them
or take them away. This is why you will often see the phrase "this does
not affect your statutory rights" with a guarantee or on a receipt, for
example. And you will still have your Sale of Goods rights even after
the guarantee has run out.

Yup but I was under the impression that after I have exchanged the
original item with a replacement direct from the manufacturer - I no
longer have the goods that were supplied?

Lordy

Is My Burner Broken? ggroups2 General 3 August 12th 04 03:54 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Nero and dvd-r failure Blair Wilson Cdr 1 February 5th 04 07:23 AM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM