Choose a solar captor for an IP camera ?

Old June 10th 05, 07:07 PM
dylan

Some calculations on this:

In summer the figures for the solar panels (ref campbell) equate to the
panel supplying full current for the equivalent of 4.4 hrs per day (for
10W panel 2.5Ahr/0.57A=4.4hrs)
The load during the 'unlit' hours will be .7 * (24-4.4)= 13.7AmpHrs so
during the lit period the panel must charge the battery to at least
13.7AmpHrs, so must supply 13.7/4.4 = 3.11 Amps +.7 A for the load this
equates to a approx 60 W panel.

The battery must be at least 13.7 AmpHr capacity BUT note from information
I can find the MAXIMUM charge rate for a sealed lead-acid battery is
approx amphr rating / 4, so for 3.11 A charging you need at least a 12.44
AmpHr battery.

In winter the figures for the solar panels (ref campbell) equate to the
panel supplying full current for the equivalent of 0.9 hr per day (for 10W
panel 0.5Ahr/0.57A=0.9 hr)
The load during the 'unlit' hours will be .7 * (24-0.9)= 16.2 AmpHrs so
during the lit period the panel must charge the battery to at least 16.1
AmpHrs, so must supply 16.2/1 = 16.2 Amps +.7 A for the load this equates
to a 300 W panel.

The battery must be at least 16.2 AmpHr capacity BUT note from information
I can find the MAXIMUM charge rate for a sealed lead-acid battery is
approx amphr rating / 4, so for 16A charging you need at least a 65AmpHr
battery.

Note these calculations assume you have full sun (max) output for the
required period, I would imagine this won't be the case and you will get
reduced sun levels for a longer period.
Although I believe it won't effect the size of panel you will require I
believe you could use a lower capacity battery in the winter calculation
because the max current will be less ie half output of the panel at 8A will
only require a 32AmpHr battery.

Also they are calculated for South UK / Northern France. From the e-mail you
sent me Southern France requires a 3 times less panel if I understood
correctly.

I think my next step will be to buy a panel and try it out !.

Old June 10th 05, 07:41 PM
Pierre

Today I received a phone call from ICP global french representative. He
just asked me to give him the DC and mA for the webcam and the wifi
product to be able to tell me which kind of solar panel and battery.

I had a long discussion with axis about the choice of the good webcam.
The guy told me that I must choose a webcam with iris if not the ccd
sensor will be destroy very quickly ! So he advised me to choose the
axis 211 ( for 789 euros !!!)
http://www2.axis.com/files/datasheet...95_0501_lo.pdf

I called anixter the french wholesaler of proxim. The tech guy suggested
me to choose the following product that enclosed the bridge and the
antenna in one box :
http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/...dtsht_TD17-040
5A4.pdf
Old June 10th 05, 08:37 PM
dylan

"Pierre" wrote in message
Today I received a phone call from ICP global french representative. He
just asked me to give him the DC and mA for the webcam and the wifi
product to be able to tell me which kind of solar panel and battery.

I had a long discussion with axis about the choice of the good webcam.
The guy told me that I must choose a webcam with iris if not the ccd
sensor will be destroy very quickly ! So he advised me to choose the
axis 211 ( for 789 euros !!!)
http://www2.axis.com/files/datasheet...95_0501_lo.pdf

I called anixter the french wholesaler of proxim. The tech guy suggested
me to choose the following product that enclosed the bridge and the
antenna in one box :
http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/...dtsht_TD17-040
5A4.pdf

This looks like professional kit, I have used an axis camera and they give
good results, but it isn't wireless is it ?
Maybe you are going to use the power over ethernet facility or is the bridge
and antenna to go at the PC or the camera or both ?

Power wise the camera is approx 400mA which is an improvement, but as I say
there is no wireless bit. The bridge looks like it needs mains or 48v.

Cheers

Old June 11th 05, 07:01 AM
Pierre

In article , "dylan"
wrote:

This looks like professional kit, I have used an axis camera and they give
good results, but it isn't wireless is it ?
Maybe you are going to use the power over ethernet facility or is the bridge
and antenna to go at the PC or the camera or both ?

Power wise the camera is approx 400mA which is an improvement, but as I say
there is no wireless bit. The bridge looks like it needs mains or 48v.

In my case I don't plan to use PoE because my camera is supposed to be
install at the top of a mast to oversee horses. The horses field is
about 1 km from the house where there is a internet access. In this
configuration there will be a waterproof box at the top of the mast. In
this box I'll put a battery, the solar régulator. Outside the box there
will be :
- at the top of the box : the solar panel
- on the side one : the webcam in a waterproof box. FYI the mobotix
webcam is already waterproof and doesn't require any waterproof box.
- on the side two : a proxim 'like' box to send and receive the IP
signal to the house where there is an internet access.
- an ethernet wire directly connected between the webcam and the
proxim

As you see if I connect a short etnernet wire between the webcam and the
wireless kit (proxim ?) It will not be possible to connect them together
directly. I'll need a sort of switch to insert the electricity on the
ethernet wire. This switch will be installed in the waterproof box and I
don't want to put to many thing in that box. This why I'll not use the
PoE. Furthermore Proxim has not power adaptor :-( it only uses the PoE
technology. So proxym will not be the solution for me.
Old June 11th 05, 09:30 AM
dylan

As you see if I connect a short etnernet wire between the webcam and the
wireless kit (proxim ?) It will not be possible to connect them together
directly. I'll need a sort of switch to insert the electricity on the
ethernet wire. This switch will be installed in the waterproof box and I
don't want to put to many thing in that box. This why I'll not use the
PoE. Furthermore Proxim has not power adaptor :-( it only uses the PoE
technology. So proxym will not be the solution for me.

Axis have a wireless unit for their cameras

http://www.axis.com/products/80211g_device/index.htm

Old June 11th 05, 09:34 AM
dylan

..

Axis have a wireless unit for their cameras

http://www.axis.com/products/80211g_device/index.htm

It's made by smc networks. It says 5v @ 2A hopefully thats only the PSU
rating !

http://www.smc.com/files/AF/DS_SMC28...al_Revised.pdf

Old July 2nd 05, 05:32 AM
Steve Kraus

...DCS-900W
the load is 2.5Amps @ 5V which will certain change the power
requirements.

That spec is confusingly written and/or wrong. Maybe the power adaptor can
produce that much. The next line down shows that the cam itself draws only
900mA. Actual measurement with this cam shows the draw to be 700-something
mA. Obviously it will vary with indicator LED's on or off etc. But no way
does it draw 2.5 A.
Old July 2nd 05, 03:05 PM
dylan

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
link.net...
...DCS-900W
the load is 2.5Amps @ 5V which will certain change the power
requirements.

That spec is confusingly written and/or wrong. Maybe the power adaptor
can
produce that much. The next line down shows that the cam itself draws
only
900mA. Actual measurement with this cam shows the draw to be
700-something
mA. Obviously it will vary with indicator LED's on or off etc. But no
way
does it draw 2.5 A.

Thanks for the correction.