Linksys Sololink service

Old June 6th 05, 07:08 PM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Yep. Cam just behind upstairs window. I get some reflection from
indoor lights in the evening.

I'm looking at it now, what should be around 7 PM there and am surprised
it's soo dark there already. Is it just because of overcast?

I agree that it is a pain that the rest of the world don't drive on
the correct side of the world!

But we do! ;-) Actually, we here in the US went only half way with it
because we still count distance covered in miles instead of kilometers.
Your kins up North managed to go all the way. All power to them!

I don't find driving in USA that much of a problem but we Brits do
have more practice at driving on the "wrong" side as so many other
countries do it.

I guess you are forced to adapt if you want to visit the old continent
across the Channel.

Your biggest problem in hiring here is likely to be that automatic
gearboxes are quite rare although they seem to be standard over there.

Automatic gear shifts are sure easier on the driver though personally I
have no problem with the manual because I used to have them before my
current Honda Accord. What made me change was a ski accident that
injured my left foot, making it hard to operate the clutch. Figuring
that could happen again, I decided to go with automatic next time.

You wouldn't like the crowded roads/narrow roads either.

That is probably true.

Rudy

Old June 6th 05, 08:51 PM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Yep. Cam just behind upstairs window. I get some reflection from
indoor lights in the evening.

I'm looking at it now, what should be around 7 PM there and am
surprised it's soo dark there already. Is it just because of overcast?

It tends to get the sun shining into it in the evening which cuts down
its gain.
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Graham Cluer | Email: news1 at cluer dot com

(If replying by e-mail please make the above into a legal email address)
Old June 8th 05, 05:16 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
It tends to get the sun shining into it in the evening which cuts down
its gain.

Aha. Is this the best focus your webcam is set to, BTW?

Rudy

Old June 8th 05, 10:15 PM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
"Graham Cluer" wrote:
It tends to get the sun shining into it in the evening which cuts
down its gain.

Aha. Is this the best focus your webcam is set to, BTW?

Rudy

Yes, I have been a bit concerned about the focus of distant houses.
However I don't seem to be able to improve it.

The video quality is still set to "medium" rather than "fine" but I
don't want to slow it down too much.
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Old June 10th 05, 09:00 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Yes, I have been a bit concerned about the focus of distant houses.
However I don't seem to be able to improve it.

The video quality is still set to "medium" rather than "fine" but I
don't want to slow it down too much.

I'll probably set mine to 320x240 resolution just for that reason, once
I receive a good replacement. It's on the way and judging from the FedEx
tracking record I might get it delivered later today or Monday. I hope
this one will work just like yours. One more question though, if you
don't mind. I know your cam is not set up for security monitoring, but
I wonder if you tried its emailing capability before you set it up to
its present purpose and if that emailing of video clips worked for you.
That's one of the most important features that sold me on this webcam
and I'd hate to find out that it does not work.

Thanks,
Rudy

Old June 10th 05, 02:30 PM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
"Graham Cluer" wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I didn't try that.

There is a firmware download that enables connection to a monitoring
service but I don't see why that should be necessary though. Nor do I
know if it is any better than the SoloLink service (still no reply and
the account is now de-activated).
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Old June 11th 05, 05:25 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:

Sorry, I didn't try that.

It's all right. I've just got the replacemant webcam today (Friday) and
it seems to behave OK so far. I'll experiment with that email feature
this weekend.

There is a firmware download that enables connection to a monitoring
service but I don't see why that should be necessary though. Nor do I
know if it is any better than the SoloLink service (still no reply and
the account is now de-activated).

If your ISP assigns you a pretty stable IP adress, you don't need that
SoloLink service. Besides, you probably do have a static IP address
anyway if you have your own domain cluer.com.

Rudy

Old June 11th 05, 05:14 PM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
If your ISP assigns you a pretty stable IP adress, you don't need that
SoloLink service. Besides, you probably do have a static IP address
anyway if you have your own domain cluer.com.

Rudy

Yes, my IPS seems not to have changed my IP address in three months
although it is a dynamic address.

The cluer.com is simply a redirecting service. If my IP address does
change I will have to redirect it.
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Old June 13th 05, 05:52 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
...I wonder if you tried its emailing capability before you set it up
to its present purpose and if that emailing of video clips worked for
you. That's one of the most important features that sold me on this
webcam and I'd hate to find out that it does not work.

Thanks,
Rudy

Sorry, I didn't try that.

Well, I now tried just about everything I could think off and could not
make that emailing option work. At least the log file would display
some error messages indicating what might have been wrong, but nothing.
I sure wish to hear from somebody who successfully implemented it. I
emailed about this to Linksys tech support but I don't have high hopes
for getting any useful info from them.

Rudy

Old June 19th 05, 12:53 AM
R. P.

"R. P." wrote:
Well, I now tried just about everything I could think off and could
not make that emailing option work. At least the log file would
display some error messages indicating what might have been wrong, but
nothing. I sure wish to hear from somebody who successfully
implemented it. I emailed about this to Linksys tech support but I
don't have high hopes for getting any useful info from them.

I feel compelled to reply to my own article and report that my emailing
problem disappeared after I reverted from the latest firmware version
2.11 back to the previous one that it shipped with: 2.07. I found this
out from other users who indicated that ver. 2.11 broke the email. So
don't upgrade to 2.11 if you want to keep the email alert option.

Rudy