System Builder Insurance?

Old March 20th 05, 09:04 PM
Radagast

Default System Builder Insurance?

Hi all

I am planning to open a computer shop in a tourist village in Cornwall.
Our main line of business will be sales repairs and upgrades of PC's and
sales of consumables. We would also like to do "call outs" and offer
internet access and tuition in the shop.

But we have a problem... Insurance.

I have been refused commercial insurance by two insurance companies and
3 brokers have failed to get back to me after 10 days. The reasons for
refusal we "I may use my facilities to launder money for
terrorists."(LOL). And "you might give someone a virus and they claim
against you."

Can anyone out there recommend an insurer? I am days away from opening
and have all my money (and some) tied up in this. I have also given
notice to my employer.

HELP!

Replies to this group or
Old March 20th 05, 09:39 PM
^^artnada^^

Radagast wrote:
|| Hi all

snip
The reasons for
|| refusal we "I may use my facilities to launder money for
|| terrorists."(LOL).

lol - so that's the same for evey business then???!!! Makes you wonder how
Dixons get their insurance! Fair play these Insurance companies are going a
bit ott with the terrorism thing!

Old March 20th 05, 10:19 PM
Radagast

^^artnada^^ wrote:
Radagast wrote:
|| Hi all

snip
The reasons for
|| refusal we "I may use my facilities to launder money for
|| terrorists."(LOL).

lol - so that's the same for evey business then???!!! Makes you wonder how
Dixons get their insurance! Fair play these Insurance companies are going a
bit ott with the terrorism thing!

Well at least I got a laugh out of it.

I think it's the internet bit they are scared of. I phoned a couple of
local net cafes and they are running without insurance for the same reason.

I have also been refused credit/debit processing facilities for similar
reasons.

So much for the governments e-commerce initiatives.

Old March 21st 05, 07:43 AM
Gaz*2

I think it's the internet bit they are scared of. I phoned a couple of
local net cafes and they are running without insurance for the same
reason.

Insurance would be a little easier if you didn't do repairs in homes,
insurance companies run scared at the idea of you burning down a clients
house, and when asying you do repairs stress that there is no soldering or
heat-work invoved.
It may be worth going to the bank you are using for your main business
banking, ok you will pay over the top but it is in their interests to get
you fully covered and you can always change after 12 months once you have
proved the business

I have also been refused credit/debit processing facilities for similar
reasons.

Again your bank may help, I find Barclays the most willing to take a risk on
computer related, although they will probably hold your money for 4 weeks
before paying with you selling computer related items.
If Barclays fail then go to Worldpay (Royal Bank of Scotland company), they
are expensive, only operate online and will only insure loses upto £250 if
you take the credit insurance (again computer related they don't like) but
you can link as many websites as you like to a single account and there is
an online terminal option to allow you to enter cards from the shop directly
onto the system and have them checked (ok it's a slow way to do it but
better than nothing).

You want any more info on the above feel free to e-mail
replace 'news' with 'gary' in reply to address.

Old March 21st 05, 09:40 AM
Richard Moore

Have you tried the big boys such as Gnat West or Lloyds?

--
Richard Moore