Zalman CNPS-7000B on ASUS A8V; backplate compatibility

Old October 25th 04, 05:53 PM
Marc Chapaux

Default Zalman CNPS-7000B on ASUS A8V; backplate compatibility

Hi,

I have an A8V board, and I want to install a Zalman-7000B heatsink.

This heatsink won't fit correctly if I use the original Asus
backplate. The Asus backplate has threaded "standoffs" (here's a
picture of a similar backplate:
http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/imag...-V/AJ00264.jpg),
while the Zalman backplate has no such "standoffs", the two threads
are just level with the plate. Possibly the Asus design is better,
because the threads are longer, so there's less risk of stripping them
off; however the Zalman 7000 just doesn't fit.

Now, in order to use the Zalman-provided backplate, I have to remove
the Asus backplate, and it is glued to the motherboard. Is there a
better way to achieve this than praying, warming the glue with a
hair-dryer, and carefully prying off the thing?

Perhaps, considering the risk of damaging the motherboard, I had
better consider a heatsink that seems to fit the original retention
guide and backplate, such as the Swiftech MCX64-V. It would also
spare me the time necessary to remove the motherboard.

Zalman should document this situation better. Or they could include
"nipples" suitable for the original A64 backplates.
Old October 25th 04, 07:06 PM
John Hollingsworth

In article ,
(Marc Chapaux) wrote:

[...]

Just give one of the posts a tap, and the Asus backplate will peel off.
You can then fit the Zalman one.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
Old October 26th 04, 04:23 AM
David Hughes

"Marc Chapaux" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I emailed Zalman support and they sent me a set of shorter nipples, I
haven't tried them yet, they came a few days after I installed my kn8e and
the stock fan is quieter than my case fans.

Dave

Old October 26th 04, 09:12 PM
Frank

you do not need to warm it with a fan. Mine came of after pressing the
nipples carefully down. You will not need much force, simply put your thumb
on one nipple and press it towards the mainboard. ifone side doesn´t come of
at once, try to press the other one. I had to switch one or two times and
then it came of like a charm.

Frank

Old November 15th 04, 07:33 PM
Kevin Lambert

And me

I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out what to do when I found this
thread and tried it...
om...