What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Old September 9th 13, 12:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
David H. Lipman

Default What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

From: "Misha"

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 17:51:37 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

So many folks just update for the sake of update's and getting into
trouble.

I can't count the number of times I've worried that I've bricked
a device simply upgrading it to the latest firmware.

So I don't disagree with you.

Well I have upgraded hundreds of JetDirects with no sequalae. Either using HP Download
Manager or via HP Web JetAdmin over TCP/IP or with the printer connected via USB or
parallel port. I keep HP Download Manager on my notebook with all the JetDirect Firmware
files so I can download the latest Firmware to client printers as needed.

If the printer has power and you leave it alone for the time it takes to download the
Firmware to the printer, it will work as expected.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old September 9th 13, 12:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
David H. Lipman

From: "Misha"

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:18:43 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

I have managed a few hundred HP Printers on HP JetDirect Print Servers.

Is the "JetDirect" print server this "box" sticking out the
side of the printer?
http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

Or is the JetDirect just firmware running on the motherboard?

It's the BIOS that sits on the JetDirect card that plugs into certain HP printers such as
LaserJet, DesignJet, etc.

Shown below are the 610n and 615n. Yours is the 600n but is looks generally the same.
http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk/o...Direct-6xx.jpg

Old September 9th 13, 01:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
SC Tom

"Misha" wrote in message
e...
On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 06:05:05 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

Yes, it is. It was created only a month, maybe two months ago.

Ah, that might explain it then.
Thanks!

I'm showing posts as early as January 2013 on Eternal September, so it's
been around for a few months anyhow.
--
SC Tom

Old September 9th 13, 07:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

On 08 Sep 2013 10:11:29 GMT, Misha wrote:

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 08:02:11 +0000, Misha wrote:

Next on deck are Windows 7 and Android ...

It wasn't intuitive, but, I was able to set up the printer
to print to the networked printer from all three platforms
(except Android):

Windows XP == http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 == http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux == http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi,
please let me know as I don't know where to start.

My useless reply:

I got a networked Epson printer, and its installation was effortless on
W7 and Android.

One penalty for that is that, unlike you, I had no chance to *learn*
anything. I'm not kidding - I seriously feel that difficulties like
yours are a way to learn.

This reply is more meant to indicate that the situation varies for
different manufacturers, in case anyone else wants to set up a networked
printer.

One disclaimer: I have no idea if other Epson printers install as
easily. This one is an Expression Premium XP-800 all-in-one.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 9th 13, 11:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Rick Jones

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:07:13 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:
Yes, it can keep the same IP even if the end of the IP Lease whas been
reached.

Yep. Unless/until it is powered-off long enough and Misha has 115 or
so other devices request IP addresses of the DHCP server on his home
gateway

What's interesting is that it kept the same IP address from one
house to another, under different networks (both using 191.168.1.1
as the gateway).

More or less luck that both you and your friend's home gateways
defaulted to useing 192.168.1.0/16 as the default private IP address
space for the home network. 192.168.1.0/16 is a fairly common
convention among such devices, though one probably shouldn't come to
depend on that.

Likely as not, the printer "remembered" it had 192.168.1.116, and when
it sent the DHCP request it, in essence, asked "May I still use this
IP address?" and the DHCP server function said "Yes."

While the odds of something else attaching to your network and getting
192.168.1.116 as its IP address are probably pretty low, it might be a
Good Idea (tm) to go into the configuration of your home gateway, and
see where its dynamically assigned IP range ends and the static range
begins. At some point you may need/want to configure the printer with
a static IP, though that will require reconfiguring the machines
you've already configured to print to it. If that day comes, altering
the dynamic range so that 192.168.1.116 isn't in it, and statically
configuring the printer to use 192.168.1.116 might be the way to go.

rick jones
despite my email address, I actually know very little about HP
printers themselves...
--
Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that. - Anonymous
Old September 10th 13, 12:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Rick Jones

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Rick Jones wrote:
In comp.sys.hp.hardware Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:07:13 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:
Yes, it can keep the same IP even if the end of the IP Lease
whas been reached.

Yep. Unless/until it is powered-off long enough and Misha has 115
or so other devices request IP addresses of the DHCP server on his
home gateway

Or, perhaps, if the printer is reset to factory defaults.

What's interesting is that it kept the same IP address from one
house to another, under different networks (both using 191.168.1.1
as the gateway).

More or less luck that both you and your friend's home gateways
defaulted to useing 192.168.1.0/16 as the default private IP address
space for the home network. 192.168.1.0/16 is a fairly common
convention among such devices, though one probably shouldn't come to
depend on that.

Make that 192.168.1.0/24 (probably). I've had a particular /16
network on the brain for the last couple of days.

rick jones
Old September 13th 13, 02:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Misha

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:07:28 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

to end a stuck telnet session: ctrl-] Q enter

Thanks! Who would have known it's control Q and not control C or escape!

Old September 13th 13, 02:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Misha

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:31:29 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

Shown below are the 610n and 615n. Yours is the 600n but is looks
generally the same.
http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk/o...Direct-6xx.jpg

Ah, I see, It *is* the card itself.
Thanks.

Old September 13th 13, 02:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
unruh

On 2013-09-13, Misha wrote:
On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:07:28 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

to end a stuck telnet session: ctrl-] Q enter

Thanks! Who would have known it's control Q and not control C or escape!

It is not either. It is control ] followed by Q for Quit.
control ]
(that is hold down the control key while typing ]) puts telnet into
command mode, and then the command is Q for quit.

Old September 13th 13, 03:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
David H. Lipman