Matrox video card

Old August 9th 03, 07:49 PM
D F Bonnett

Default Matrox video card

On some good advice I got here, I replaced an AGP S3 (4megs) which
replaced a 16 meg TNT Chaintech card that went bad with a 16 meg
Matrox G200 SD from Ebay. Great card and good text out of my Samsung
955DF. But I would like better. Don't need 3D, gaming etc, just the
sharpest text possible. Would I get noticeably better text from a
G450? Is it worth the extra to get a G550?
TIA
DFB
Old August 9th 03, 10:43 PM
philo

D F Bonnett wrote:
On some good advice I got here, I replaced an AGP S3 (4megs) which
replaced a 16 meg TNT Chaintech card that went bad with a 16 meg
Matrox G200 SD from Ebay. Great card and good text out of my Samsung
955DF. But I would like better. Don't need 3D, gaming etc, just the
sharpest text possible. Would I get noticeably better text from a
G450? Is it worth the extra to get a G550?
TIA
DFB

i don't know if a better card would help with text or not.

check first to see if your monitor has any focusing adjustments

also, are you using an extension cable or low priced (mechanical switch)
kvm switch?

stuff like that can make a difference

also putting a good ferrite ring around your video cable can help
(if there isn't one already)

Old August 10th 03, 02:58 AM
philo

D F Bonnett wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:43:06 -0500, philo
wrote:

D F Bonnett wrote:

On some good advice I got here, I replaced an AGP S3 (4megs) which
replaced a 16 meg TNT Chaintech card that went bad with a 16 meg
Matrox G200 SD from Ebay. Great card and good text out of my Samsung
955DF. But I would like better. Don't need 3D, gaming etc, just the
sharpest text possible. Would I get noticeably better text from a
G450? Is it worth the extra to get a G550?
TIA
DFB

i don't know if a better card would help with text or not.

check first to see if your monitor has any focusing adjustments

also, are you using an extension cable or low priced (mechanical switch)
kvm switch?

stuff like that can make a difference

also putting a good ferrite ring around your video cable can help
(if there isn't one already)

Thanks for the fast follow-up.
I've got the monitor focused as well as possible. Not much in the way
of overall focusing adjustments available. No extension cables or
switches used. I'll investigate a ferrite ring. Hadn't heard of them
before.
Again, many thanks..

many monitor cables have them already...
but if not...adding one can help a little bit

Old August 10th 03, 03:58 AM
kony

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:49:39 GMT, D F Bonnett
wrote:

On some good advice I got here, I replaced an AGP S3 (4megs) which
replaced a 16 meg TNT Chaintech card that went bad with a 16 meg
Matrox G200 SD from Ebay. Great card and good text out of my Samsung
955DF. But I would like better. Don't need 3D, gaming etc, just the
sharpest text possible. Would I get noticeably better text from a
G450? Is it worth the extra to get a G550?
TIA
DFB

In addition to what Philo mentioned, consider the resolution and
refresh rate you'll use, and the ultimate quality of the monitor.. .if
the monitor simply can't attain the crispness level you desire there
isn't any video card that'll help enough.

The G200 came in two flavors with 230 and 250MHz RAMDAC. That's
sufficient for lower resolutions but I dont' remember the RAMDAC vs
resolution breakdown for optimal image quality at highest
resolutions... a Google search might find this. I do think you'd
notice better text with the G400 or newer when using 1280x960@85MHz or
higher.

The G450 uses 360MHz RAMDAC, so certainly it's better for high
resolution and refresh rate. Additionally it has more memory so
full-color at high resolution is possible, though full-color is of
little-to-no benefit for black and white text. There will be a far
greater benefit of upgrade from the G200 to G450, than the difference
between the G450 and G550, since these latter two appear to have the
same RAMDAC for the primary display, the G550 primarily had improved
T&L allowing for their "headcasting" feature. With that in mind the
G550 isn't worth much over the G450 for improved text.

Some of the Maxtor drivers (or perhaps it was their supporting
application, an add-on to the driver also available for download from
Matrox's website) allow extensive tweaking of custom refresh rate,
resolution, etc. Also you might try different driver versions if you
haven't already.

Dave

Need AGP video card D F Bonnett General 5 July 27th 03 12:19 AM
Cheapie fanless video card? Rhys General 8 July 23rd 03 01:03 AM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM
Video Card S3Trio General 11 June 29th 03 12:51 AM
Best video card for around $200? Christoph General 1 June 23rd 03 09:23 PM