No more Google Groups search?

Old November 5th 13, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default No more Google Groups search?

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

Thanks.
Old November 5th 13, 05:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nil[_3_]

On 04 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

It's probably better described as a scandal.
Old November 5th 13, 06:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Nil wrote:
On 04 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

It's probably better described as a scandal.

They sure made a "dogs breakfast" out of the old Dejanews, didn't they.

What a waste.

Paul
Old November 5th 13, 10:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 02:08:14 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

Thanks.

I'd rather as soon not, in the latter instance being I haven't been
there for at least a year, so not having found the page, as I remember
it, is immaterial to much, in as little as there is left of what
Google has presently to offer, I mean, that which could conceivably
motivate a rat's ass like me. The short of it being, a couple of
years ago, Google incessant security challenges to my refusal to
update to their software standards evinced a standard response: See ya
but wouldn't want to be ya.
Old November 5th 13, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_7_]

On 11/04/2013 06:08 PM, John Doe wrote:
Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

I used it last week at this address:
http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en& ,
but now it's redirecting to he
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview

It's bad enough that they disemboweled the old search, but now it's
completely gone. What an utterly horrible move on their part.

Jon

Old November 5th 13, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Jon Danniken jonSPAMdanniken yaSMPAhoo.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

I used it last week at this address:
http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en& ,
but now it's redirecting to he
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview

It's bad enough that they disemboweled the old search, but now it's
completely gone. What an utterly horrible move on their part.

The whole mess could be a loose conspiracy to destroy access to the
public USENET archive.

But since we have to cope with the powers that be... With terabyte
drives cheap nowadays, I wonder if personal archives are feasible
with appropriate software, database software I guess.

I would agree that politics groups are mostly garbage, but I don't
want to be limited to moderated commercial groups for information
about everything else.

I'm aware of binary search engines, but is there some USENET archive
search for text posts like Eternal September?
Old November 5th 13, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

I wonder whether there isn't one place in the world where people are
willing to pay something (however little) for access to public
discussion. I'm sure a nonprofit organization could handle the
overhead of a USENET archive. And
Old November 5th 13, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Black[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Paul wrote:

Nil wrote:
On 04 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not finding
their search page" if you prefer.

It's probably better described as a scandal.

They sure made a "dogs breakfast" out of the old Dejanews, didn't they.

What a waste.

Paul

Actually, they didn't. All they bought from dejanews was its archive,
they never used the interface software from dejanews. So they just
fumbled it from the beginning, rather than turning it into something bad.

A real factor is that once they introduced their own google groups, that
drove things. So what works as a web only thing (their google groups)
mostly doesn't work for Usenet, but they use the same interface and don't
seem to care one bit.

Virtually all of the problem with google is that it can't or won't see a
difference between their groups and Usenet.

Michael

Old November 5th 13, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Michael Black et472 ncf.ca wrote:

Paul wrote:
Nil wrote:
John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or
"I'm not finding their search page" if you prefer.

It's probably better described as a scandal.

They sure made a "dogs breakfast" out of the old Dejanews,
didn't they.

What a waste.

Actually, they didn't. All they bought from dejanews was its
archive,

Nobody made that distinction, nobody really cares, and you
probably don't have a credible citation to support the claim.

they never used the interface software from dejanews.

So maybe they bought it and didn't use it.

So they just fumbled it from the beginning,

Yes, they fumbled it from the beginning, like immediately removing
the most relevant groups results (or not including it, whatever).

rather than turning it into something bad.

To a normal English speaker, there is no difference.

From: Michael Black et472 ncf.ca
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: No more Google Groups search?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 14:50:46 -0500
Sender: et472 bas1-montreal19-1177820829.dsl.bell.ca

Old November 5th 13, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 05/11/2013 1:51 AM, Paul wrote:
Nil wrote:
On 04 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you prefer.

It's probably better described as a scandal.

They sure made a "dogs breakfast" out of the old Dejanews, didn't they.

What a waste.

Paul

Yup, my feelings exactly. Deja was so simple and easy to use, Google
Groups -- no where near that.

Yousuf Khan