NVidia and Vista - Howto prevent driver from switching to high resolutions

Old May 17th 09, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Steinbach

Default NVidia and Vista - Howto prevent driver from switching to high resolutions

Hello

With the new 185.50 driver and Vista I have much trouble.
After installing and restarting it seems that the driver try to switch to
a high resolution with a high refresh rate, which my monitor doesn't support
and the monitor turns off. Eventually I can't login :-(

I have to start with the "640x480" low resolution mode to get the login
screen. And my admin account, where I set a valid resolution and refresh
rate after the install procedure, works fine. But if a user try to login,
the display drvier seems to switch to a high resolution and high refresh
rate also :-( The monitors turns off and no interaction is possible :-(

It seems that with this newer version of the nvidia display drivers
the resolution and refresh rate can be set at each account diffrent.
Am I right?

How can I prevent the display driver to switch to a high resolution and
high refresh rates at logon screen, because the 640x480 low resolution
switch
is'nt very comfortable, and how can I prevent the "higeh end" switching
after a user logon?
Today I encounterd that the driver try to switch to high resolutions after
boot up with teh low resolution video (640x480). But I have enough time
to logon with my working account.

Or how can I set the resolution and refresch rate at the login screen
and a "default" setting for the user accounts? Like a default setting
for the _whole_ computer? (Similar to the resolution setting in gnome)

Please help me, because I'm going crazy about this issue...

btw: Does anybody now the version of nvidias display driver wich comes
with the Initial Vista Release (not the SP1)?
And is it possible to install this version over the newer version?
The problem is, that I don't have apprropriate SystemRestore Points.

Thomas
Old May 23rd 09, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Timelord

Also with this driver i have noticed that Windows Aero no longer functions
and is removed from the theme list.

Phil.

Old May 29th 09, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On May 23, 7:00*pm, "timelord" wrote:
[...]

I would concentrate on using WHQL versions of the official nVidia
drivers. The latest is 185.85