Is Clariion support part of the EMC Control Center base lincensing?

Old October 26th 03, 01:19 AM
Boll Weevil

Default Is Clariion support part of the EMC Control Center base lincensing?

Or do you have to purchase Clariion support seperately?
Old October 26th 03, 10:04 PM
Greg Guenther

"Boll Weevil" wrote in message
Or do you have to purchase Clariion support seperately?

If you have the SAN manager module you should be legal to manage the array.

I had to call and get the clariion agent key. 1800SVC4EMC and select the
software licensing option.

They did ask me if I had a a Navi Manager license.

If anbody from EMC lurks on this newsgroup, What functionality you get with
particular keys is confusing.

e.g. you can add the netbackup agent, but all you get is a bunch of junk
filling up the logs. You need the ARM license

to get any real info out of the agent.

Greg G

Old October 27th 03, 01:29 PM
nick

you will have to install the Navisphere agent on the ECC server which
runs the clariion agent. Then you need to discover the arrays on the
SAN by using their SP IP addresses.

nick

Old October 28th 03, 02:04 AM
Greg Guenther

you will have to install the Navisphere agent on the ECC server which
runs the clariion agent. Then you need to discover the arrays on the
SAN by using their SP IP addresses.

I did the reverse. I put a master agent on one of the servers attached to
the clariion array that
already had the Navi Agent installed. I then pushed the ECC clariion agent
to that server.
Even with the ECC clariion agent installed, you still do not get to use the
Explorer tool or get to do
lun masking until you apply the clariion license key.

Do you think they can make this thing anymore convoluted and

bloated????!!!
Don't give them any ideas.
Actually, 5.11 is much improved over 5.0X.
Did you go with ECC or are you still evaluating ?

Old October 28th 03, 02:21 AM
Boll Weevil

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:04:57 GMT, "Greg Guenther" wrote:

you will have to install the Navisphere agent on the ECC server which
runs the clariion agent. Then you need to discover the arrays on the
SAN by using their SP IP addresses.

I did the reverse. I put a master agent on one of the servers attached to
the clariion array that
already had the Navi Agent installed. I then pushed the ECC clariion agent
to that server.
Even with the ECC clariion agent installed, you still do not get to use the
Explorer tool or get to do
lun masking until you apply the clariion license key.

Do you think they can make this thing anymore convoluted and

bloated????!!!
Don't give them any ideas.
Actually, 5.11 is much improved over 5.0X.
Did you go with ECC or are you still evaluating ?

Greg,

Yea... I think you're right. 5.0x took over ten CDs and 5.1.1 took only three. My mistake was that I accidently cancelled the install in the middle
of it. Whoaaaaaaaa.... what a mistake. Uninstall is not an option!!! I had to manually scrub the registery.. took about an hour.

Let me express my hatred for this product but it seems as though its complexity does well for people like you and me. It's providing us with a very
comfortable living. I am diggin deep into this product to get better at it. Maybe it will recieve my respect but not now, not yet. I may have some
questions for ya later if you don't mind.
Old October 28th 03, 03:28 PM
nick

I would have to agree. I barely use the product, it does have some
nice features, but I quickly tire of using the console. Also, I have
found it to be inconsistent when alerting and doing management of the
SAN, and bloated is an understatment -- God forbid you have to do an
upgrade or reinstall. Some joker at EMC thought that it would better
to package the install in perl scripts and then hack some poor excuse
for a GUI around it instead of using something clean like WISE or
InstallShield. I did an upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0 and ultimately 5.1
this year, and I have become painfully familiar with all the registry
keys and directory structures it creates but doesn't clean up when you
uninstall the thing.

BTW I find the Navisphere interface to be a wee bit friendlier when
doing Clariion management, but, maybe because I'm just an old fart, I
prefer command line (navicli) out of the three methods. When it comes
to Clariion management I would rank ECC 5.0 / 5.1 a VERY distant third
for managing the arrays.

nick