HSG80 Storageworks RA8000 SAN on Windows 2003 Enterprise

Old October 21st 03, 01:51 AM
John Walker

Default HSG80 Storageworks RA8000 SAN on Windows 2003 Enterprise

Anyone had any luck getting an RA8000 StorageWorks array to work under
Windows 2003? We are using the 64 bit / 66MHz Compaq Fibre Channel HBA
and 8.7 HSG80 firmware using arbitrated loop.

We are able to get the system to work under Windows 2000, and if we
upgrade to 2K3 Enterprise, the system will see the drives but will not
fail a cluster correctly.

If we install 2K3 directly, we are able to get the drivers to load,
but as soon as we present a partition to the server and rescan drives,
the server bluescreens with not much in the way of error messages. It
appears to be an issue with the hsxdisk.sys file that comes with the
8.7 software.

Any suggestions, other than to save up and buy something more current?
:-)

Thanks for any ideas.

John Walker
Old October 21st 03, 11:53 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

the server bluescreens with not much in the way of error messages. It
appears to be an issue with the hsxdisk.sys file that comes with the
8.7 software.

Any suggestions, other than to save up and buy something more current?

Ping the vendor to fix the buggy driver. Do not upgrade the OS version on
enterprise production servers before this, let them running w2k, not must
difference anyway in terms of kernel internals :-).

P.S. I'm just plain amazed why the so-called "serious systems" vendors produce
the software of this quality. This kind of quality is more suitable for El
Cheapo Taiwanese USB scanner, but not for disk arrays which cost tens of
thousands of dollars (at least).

With this quality of "serious systems", maybe it would be better to buy a
server from high-end-commodity parts like IBM UltraStar or Seagate Cheetah
drives, Adaptec 29160 controller, Asus mobo and so on, and install Linux or
w2k - depends on tastes - on it. Will be cheaper many times, and lesser
problematic, since the high-end-commodity stuff is usually well-debugged.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old October 22nd 03, 07:01 PM
John Walker

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message ...
[...]

Turns out that the vendor that we purchased the hardware and firmware
from sold us the wrong stuff. The HP/Compaq guy that I finally got in
touch with was very helpful and provided appropriate part numbers for
our environment.

Definitely not upgrading production servers until this is resolved.

Moral of the story? Don't try to use fibre channel HBA's that are
certified with Netware in a Windows 2003 environment.

JPW
Old October 23rd 03, 04:40 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Moral of the story? Don't try to use fibre channel HBA's that are
certified with Netware in a Windows 2003 environment.

Or: ask on forum (or friends) on success stories with this adapter/OS
combination, and the driver build version which the people run.