swapping HDs on a select 750. (follow-up to an older post)

Old August 25th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
[email protected]

Default swapping HDs on a select 750. (follow-up to an older post)

I have a select 750 (AMD Athlon 750MHz, Jabil Kadoka motherboard). It
came with a 20GB HD with Win98. I wanted to swap the HD with a 120GB HD
with Win2003 server installed on it. I updated the BIOS (to P06) so it
can see larger HDs. Bootup is incomplete.. No msgs indicating any
failure.. When I boot with safe mode the last msg I see is
drvmain.sdb (apparently a database with compatibility problems with
certain devices) and its stuck there..
I was told previously that you cannot move XP installs between PCs. Is
that the case with Windows OSs 2000 and onwards?
Any tips would help.
regards.

Old August 26th 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

I am not familiar with Win 2003 server, but it may be just as difficult to move
hard drives between systems with it as with XPee. If the motherboards are dead
identical, usually it is no problem. If the motherboards have identical
chipsets, maybe a problem. The greater the difference in hardware
configurations between systems, the greater the difficulty.

Other factors to consider:

The motherboard chipset on your system simply may not be supported by Win 2003
server. Servers with AMD chipsets are a new phenomenon, and I do not think
anyone used AMD servers back when the Jabil Kadoka was being shipped.

Although motherboard BIOSes are now highly standardized in their support of hard
drives, there may be differences in handling of hard drives via the BIOS between
the Gateway and whatever computer the disk came from.

Finally, tho not usually an issue with servers, Microsoft has several versions
of each operating system sold, and the Windows COA from one will not be accepted
by the others.

In short, simply moving a hard drive with Windows from system to system is a
difficult proposition. Microsoft wanted it to be that way... Ben Myers