Solved: Playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 with driver version 0.0.0 bug !!!!

Old November 7th 19, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Solved: Playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 with driver version 0.0.0 bug !!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2 working on the TOSHIBA LAPTOP L670-1JQ iCore 5

The problem is: RADEON DRIVER VERSION 0.0.0 DETECTED !

Which is bull**** message.

The game detects an older driver and simply refuses to start.

To fix this you have to do the following:

Click start on windows.
Click the bar/edit box.
Type "regedit" to start the registry editor.

Then go to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

Then change the following parameter/key/value pair:

"ReleaseVersion"="17.10.3211.1011-170612a-315159E-CrimsonReLive"

What ever it says change it, what I did was:

"ReleaseVersion"="20.5.1"

AND BINGO !!!

Starwars Battlefront 2 STARTS ! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ****ing fantastic ! =D

Saves me the trouble of having to fiddle with linux sparky lol... to change the version number lol.

Bye,
Skybuck.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy ! =D
Old November 8th 19, 12:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I couldn't post yesterday from the laptop cause I had it directly connected to the internet and no google group credentials there and such.

Anyway today I am reporting back on my activities and experiments with Star Wars Battlefront 2 on a laptop from 2012.

By modifieing the driver version it is possible to run the game, the menu will play, characters can be looked at though at one character I believe it was the young version of darth vader it will also crash the game.

The main crashes that were tested/examined are when the single player story/campagne is played.

At some point video is played it seems. Some star fighters jump out of hyperspace and approach a ship.

Later inside the ship there is a corridor and a female talking to a male about somebody else.

At this point usually the game crashes without reporting any error, and the amd/ radeon driver seems to crash and restart.

So all is not fine.

I tried everything I could think of:

1. Moving the game to the internal harddisk for more speed during video playback.

2. Disabling hyperthreading by disabling all multi cores in bios, running one core was super slow.

3. Disabling intel boost technology in bios also make it very slow.

Both disabled too slow to test.

4. Setting various forms of affinity in windows task manager.

5. Disabling/moving the qt video codecs to a different folder inside core folder, apperently there are not used and something else is responsible for decoding the videos. Perhaps the graphics driver video codecs ? For now I assume it's a video I am watching but maybe it's real time don't know for sure.

Process Explorer was not available on laptop... that could shine some more light on it. I may try and install it and see if some dlls show up later. But first I wanna try something else Sparky Linux with Linux drivers, cause obviously the problem lies inside the amd/radeon drivers.

6. I also tried different driver versions. One driver version had an HDMI issue and could not play music anymore so that was ****... so that was replaced.

Apperently AMD has two different driver packages available:

Catalyst
and
Crimson

Or something like that.

Crimson can be installed over Catalyst.

Crimson is newer... but beta... and it runs a bit slower.

7. I disabled as many windows services as possible to free up as much as phyiscal memory as possible. Laptop has 6 GB of ram available. The game used up to about 5.4 GB of RAM.

However windows might also require some RAM for kernal and such. Perhaps it's a RAM issue after all and somehow it's not tapping into virtual memory.

Perhaps the game's software was written in such a way that it locks down virtual memory to actual physical pages to prevent paging to disk.

So this might be a virtual memory related crash... maybe inside a driver somewhere where it runs out of memory, not sure about that.

8. I tried making the page file 32 or 24 GB but somehow that caused a freeze up eventually I managed to set a fixed page file to 16 GB.

9. I noticed with Catalyst drivers 15.7.1 and maximum processor speed and maximum memory the video playback would come furthest.

One time I noticed disabling one hyperthread might play it even smoother.

10. I tried playing with a headphone.

11. I tried disabling all audio's via control panel.

12. I tried settings in config files of games.

13. Running windowed and all kinds of window size settings and such, borderless etc.

14. Command line parameters, -novid and such.

Nothing seemed to help, the game kept crashing in the same way.

I am amazed how much hyper-threading helps making a fast computer. Though I also tested with boost technology on.

I know one thing for sure though: "Boost + Hyperthreading" is an absolute MUST to have a speedy laptop... it was an amazing experience.

If Threadripper 3's boost and hyperthreading is at good at intel's it's going to be mega-super-killer of a processor and system.

SO I MUST HAVE IT AT ALL COST LOL... Probably though.

The slighty lower to much lower clock frequency is a bit of a concern.

Threadripper III base 3.7 GHz vs Intel base 5.0 GHz might be somewhat of a concern.

5.0 GHz Seems nice... but I don't quite believe it will be stable. Even if it will be stable... the many threads of threadripper will give the system a much longer life time... + the terrabytes of memory is also going to be very nice.

Anyway

One thing I noticed after all this messing around... the text scrolling in firefox is faded out and looks ****ed... fady... don't like it... messed with clear type... even if it's disabled by setting it up text will still look much better. Highly recommend windows user do this.
Anyway for new I will leave it as it is... the Crimson software does have a advanced looking tray bar menu system with lot's of information in it... don't really like it that much... too much clicking required on these tiles.... but ok... at least some information is there.

Hmm my laptop which is now connected to hdmi to receiver just stop playing music lol... cause it put the screen sleep mode... kinda weird but ok for now.

Did have some file corruption copieing my music to usb harddisk... which I might have yanked out too soon or there is just some corruption there... fortunately it's NTFS so I will have windows fix it later and re-copy the file.

This is a clear case where using network communication might be a better solution to transfer files...

At least I don't have to yank the usb device from the computer's as much and risk file corruption.

For now this is an "entertainment" usb external disk... so I am not so bothered with it for now.

For backup on usb disks I hope write cache will remain disabled for such devices. I think windows recognizes individual drives and keeps settings per device. I hope so but will have to check this in the future sometime to make sure

I look very much forward to giving Sparky Linux Game Over edition a try... and maybe windows 10 enterprise or home edition or something.

Will probably need/require a new usb stick, or maybe I can make some room/partitions on the usb stick for further experimentation... would be very nice to have windows 10 and linux on the same usb stick to have some options available for booting and experimenting.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Old November 8th 19, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

OK, Reporting back on my findings:

0. Formatted USB Stick to 4 GB FAT32.

1. Downloading Sparky Linux Game Over Edition went OK.

2. "Burning" Spark Linux Game Over Edition to USB Stick with Rufus went OK.

3. Booting into Sparky Linux Game Over Edition on USB Stick went OK.

4. Installing Sparky Linux from USB Stick to USB Stick went OK.

(
FAT32 partition was resized to 4 GB
Extra primary partition created, mounting point set to \
(subtracted 32 GB from size for swap parition below)
Extra linuxswap partition/file system created, 32 GB
GRUB boot manager or something like that installed on usb stick dev\dbb or something
)

5. Booting into Sparky Linux full install on USB Stick went OK.

6. Upgrade Spark Linux to latest system went OK.
(Keep moving mouse to avoid screensaver).

7. Tried to play a game with Lutris:

Company of Heroes played OK.

8. Tried to play Star Wars Battlefront 2:

Game does not start.

9. Tried to play F1 2018:

Game does not start.

I looked into this I tried to upgrade Wine to a staging edition/experimental edition by doing these steps:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...velopment.html

10. Upgrading wine system to 4.19 (staging) went OK.

11. Starting Battlefront 2 in lutris:

Returncode: 91

Apperently it's not working for some reason. Do not know why.

I do read that Battefront 2 is currently only working for the steam 1.1 version or something.

I am not interested that much in steam right now, find it unnecessary complexifing gaming experience.

This might be the end of my experiments with Linux and Wine and Battlefront 2.

I guess the Linux technology is not yet capable of running this particular version of Battlefront 2.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 8th 19, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I am not yet completely statisfied with my experiments.

I came so far and might as well proceed a little bit mo

Things to try:

1. Upgrade DXVK (don't know yet which version is currently installed).

2. Maybe upgrade D9VK.

3. Maybe check if vulkan is working at all on linux and this laptop.

(I could try doom or so with vulkan or so... I think it had a special vulkan executable or maybe there is some small vulkan test program somewhere )

Maybe try proton...

(Also there is play on linux but dont know yet how to use or where to find it, saw it once, wasn't too impressed by it, so far I like Lutris better, more easy to use/setup )

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 8th 19, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I tried steam and steam play, steam play is in steam settings somewhere.

steam and playonlinux are very ****ty and don't work well with folder.

Steam requires folder to be created in home of linux and then a symbol link to external drives, not sure if I did it correctly but maybe:

ln -s "media/skybuck/External Harddisk/" ~/SteamLibrary

It seemed useless though, steam could not start it, and maybe steam also hang the os or something else caused.

PlayOnLinux is also pretty useless, it requires games to be reinstalled.

Lutrus was most impressive so far.

It does get confused though Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a classic from 2005.

Star War Battlefront 2 from 2017 is the new version and this is the version I want to play but it won't start.

For today I am going to give up.

It did start in windows 7 though, so there should be a way to make it work in linux too, at least somewhat...

Faking an nvidia driver might be a possibility... don't know how to do that yet...

This is becoming a bit time consuming, not sure if I will continue this endaevor but so far I learned some interesting things.

Linux has come very far for windows gaming support =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D