Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Old November 5th 19, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Going to make a "live" record of what's happening:

1. I stuck the USB flash stick into laptop.
2. Turned it on.
3. Repeatedly pressed F12 to get to boot menu, I was kinda ****ed how fast I have to do it, so I kept pressing it over and over again.
4. Then I noticed an odd flickering of the boot menu, I already had a hunch this can't be good.
5. Then continued booting from USB Stick.
6. Funny enough Windows Setup crashed with a blue screen: "Attempting to boot from VHD failure or something"

So noticing the strange flickering I decided to try again:

1. Restart computer.
2. Press F12 just a few times.
3. Start windows in safe mode, just to see if safe mode can install windows.
4. The cyborg eye of windows 7 shows and finally it says: cannot install windows in safe mode.

So I try again:

1. Restart laptop.
2. Press F12 a few times.
3. Boot from usb stick.
4. Now cyborg eye comes on again and it's installing... currently at 68%

So strangely enough now it seems to be installing correctly, onto itself which is kinda amazing.

This may have to do with something special that WinToUSB does.

And I used to computers/software failing occasionally for unknown reasons... non-deterministic bugs, event driven bugs.

Always good to try again and cause events in a different more mellow order, and this proves it can work if done "gently" Wish is kinda funny.

However I have no idea yet if this setup/usb stick will work in my main computer.

What I am after is this:

1. I want to try and update Windows 7 completely including the "platform update".

I suspect that platform update might be necessary to run certain games successfully perhaps Battlefront 2 as well.

However it's an illegal/downloaded version. Perhaps it just doesn't work.
But for now I want to keep trying to see how far it can get.

If all fails I may start a windows debugger and debug the EXE of Battlefront 2 to see if I can tell/see where it crashes.

Now the annoying thing with this installation process is:

2. Windows installer resets the laptop... and since I was typing this and I also completely forgot to press F12 again to make it go back into usb stick.

But ok...

So now going to restart computer again... kinda shame... bios cannot handle this byitself and stay in installation mode until it's done but ok.

I guess it's saver this way in case install to usb stick fails. For now not going to change boot order cause I want things to keep working normally after I am done with these experiments.

So this concludes the first part. I will continue after I restart the computer.

I think it's booting the original OS.. now the usb OS right now... so kinda hard to tell what it is actually doing which is kinda funny but also a bit... meh...

Oh well.

Could be nice if bios would show LOGO that "usb booting" is in procedure.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Holy ****ing ****...

The laptop also installed some new updates from Microsoft... so it was attached via internet connection sharing.

I have to do this so my mother don't have too..

Windows explorer seem to hang a bit during boot... not to bad... but kinda akward didn't do that before... hopefully it's just a temporarely thing.

But going to report it anyway.

Now suddenly this screen comes up and I did not even click this.

I can already tell the laptop is MISBEHAVING after updates from Microsoft !

I already disabled updates long ago on my main computer and besides it probably didn't even work anymore.

Quite glad actually that somehow windows update nuked itself.

This mouse cursor circle just keeps rotating.

Windows is completely unsuited for average day use or war-scenerio use... this update again proves it perfectly.

I am not surprised people switch to mobile phones which might work a little bit better, though that will not last long as they get more complex.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 01:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Sipnotify not responding... never seen that before.

Not sure if this **** will remain like this... don't think it has anything to do with usb experiments.

I did move the laptop up and down a bit to get cables gone...

But pretty sure it's the windows updates... ok now it restored the GUI by itself...

Let's see if it works now...

WOW very unresponsive GUI...

EVEN TASK manager is not reacting...

Almost feels like it was infected by some weird virus... A virus from Microsoft that is !

Maybe this is the task manager from the previous GUI... perhaps it's even handler were disconnected..

Now it closes and comes back up.

Unbelievable what kind of turd it has turned into... It was working fine before the updates..

And now it's sluggish and stuff seems to go slow.

OH NOW I SEE why it's slow...

It's this GOD DAMN World of Warships updater... that's still running and trying to pull down updates.

Better disable that... because I can understand this will drive my mother crazy if this is so slow.

Probably specter and meltdown updates also slowing things down..

Going to disable that updater and then see later what happens.

Bye for now,
Skybuck =D

This was kinda funny.

Not yet sure if this updater is solely to blame...

Ok seems like it now windows is working better.
Old November 5th 19, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Uh, oh.

This does *not* sound good.

Did there happen to be enough space on the laptop
hard drive, to fit a second OS ?

Or did the installer erase Windows 7 ???

This could be bad.

Hope you do backups regularly...

If there is a C:\Windows.old, then the old OS might
be in there. If there is no such folder, then you
probably did a Clean Install and destroyed Windows 7.

Look in Disk Management and confirm what partitions
were created, to see how much trouble you're in.

I think you need to use WinToUSB to put stuff on
the USB stick. Windows itself won't do that, unless
a series of special conditions are met (Enterprise
software install, certified WindowsToGo USB stick).
And WindowsToGo was discontinued, and it might have
been discontinued in the 1903 release. So 1903
Enterprise probably doesn't even to WindowsToGo any
more.

You need the WinToUSB software to try this today.

Paul
Old November 5th 19, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

OK It seems Windows has downloaded even more updates ?!

How the **** are normal/average day people supposed to use a computer from time to time.

If it's downloading updates like a whore sucking cock ?!

Now I cannot even proceed decently... cause now it wants to install even more updates !

It already did a couple of updates yesterday... now it wants to do even more...

Man... windows... what a crock...

Gonna do updates first before proceeding with experiments.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Ok fortunately it was just 1 update, played a few minutes brutal doom on main pc.

Now continueing with re-boot/experiment of usb stick.

1. Reboot laptop
2. Press F12 a couple of times.
3. Boot from USB stick.
4. BLUE SCREEN !

Trying again:

6. Laptop restarts itself after a few seconds of blue screen.
7. Select start windows normally.
8. No more blue screen.
9. "Setup is preparing for first use" message disappeared quicked
10. Setup is... disappaeared quick audi or something.
11. Windows 7 Ultimate is showing nice !

Ok I will now proceed with further install of windows 7 to usb stick.

Technically, this laptop is capable of running windows 7.... cause it came with it ! HAHA !

So no hardware in-compatibility excuses...

The blue screen is therefore a bit weird.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 01:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 1:26:28 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I don't know how it works, but it does seem to install itself onto usb-stick.

So all is fine in that regards.

That's the amazing part about WinToUSB.

So far install finished... and now everything is working.

Windows 7 is now bare bones and it will probably start installing updates soon...

Though it says no network connection present.

So I might have to set that up...

Quite amazing.

About the blue screen, what might be causing it is:

1. Bios BUG concerning F12... might be delayed events crashing windows.

or

2. The animation that is displayed when windows starts up... perhaps bug in video codec that displays that... though maybe it's not a video codec... but perhaps some bunch of gifs/images/pngs that are decoded.

I suspect a decode bug in there as usual... though it would be surprised if that is actually the case cause so many computers display it.

Your concerns about short storage space are not valid.

128 GB of storage space on usb stick.

Formatted it every time.

Windows 7 is roughly between 2 or 4 or 8 GB.

Installer is 4 GB or so.

So should be plenty of space.

Actually now I get a chance for the first time to see what win to usb did.

Also I kinda wished I installed to the harddisk... with 4.5 TB.

Then I would have multiple operating systems already.

But extracting Battlefront 2 costed 16 hours plus another 10 hours cause I had to restart it.

So I did not wanna loose that work.

I could move the extract files to usb stick first though...

And then format the 4.5 tb drive and proceed with experiments on that...

Just though of it...

But since I am not yet sure what I am doing or how all these software works... I think it's better to continue experimenting with fast usb stick first... to see what this software can do.

I also downloaded WinSetupFromUSB-1-9.exe which claims to allow installing multiple operating systems.

I will probably continue with that software in near future coming days...

First I try very hard to get battlefront 2 working, not matter what the cost... even if I have to try linux =D

I am afraid it might all be a waste of time in regards to getting battlefront working...

But at least I learn a lot from how to make booting from usb and usb sticks work.

Something I wanted to experiment with for quite some time now...

I used to be able to do booting from CD... but cd-drive broke haha...

So this will be it's replacement technology...

Glad it finally worked at least on laptop... and yes on PC it might work..... if rufus didn't produce such ****... with not using usb stick drivers or whatever...

But seeing my old dreampc from 2006/2010 whatever.. having this usb boot option... is pretty cool.

This allows my PC to be used for different things... and to try out other operating sytems without too much risk.

So very curious about windows 10... which doesn't work on my main PC which is a bummer.

But if I really wanted to try out windows 10... then yes... there is the windows 10 32 bit option which you already suggested and I know about...

And yes maybe I will try that out as well... to get to know windows 10 a little bit better.

But I could even do this on the older laptop... or on new laptop but plan on giving the newer one back to mother.

There is little point in getting to know windows 10 32 bit...

It might give false impression of what to expect... and it's basically unusuable for average day use that I do...

Maybe web browsing but that's it... for windows 10, 32 bit...

Plenty of stuff that is switching to 64 bit...

So not sure how much use I will get out of it...

It's the new stuff in windows 10 that's interesting directx 12 maybe...

And maybe the new edge browser...

Can't think of anything else... besides from running the usual... and see how it performance and watching task manager...

E-mail comes to mind... but a bit risky to do that with my actual account.

Might have to make a new one or so and experiment with that.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I think what WinToUSB does is the following:

It partitions the USB stick into two sections:

1. Boot section ?
2. System section ?

I am not exactly sure.

Maybe even more partitions not sure.

Currently I see two on usb stick:

Harddisk:

WinToUSB (C 106 GB free of 113 GB

Removeable storage:

WinToUSB (E 465 MB free of 114 GB

This last message: 465 MB free is quite weird ?!

No idea why it says that.

Perhaps it's deceiving windows somehow.

I am confused ?! Are you too =D ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 5th 19, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Wow all these toshiba drivers combined, downloaded, compressed a

1.71 GB (1,843,274,170 bytes)

This includes double distributions with different versions and 32 and 64 bit versions.

Now I am not liking this experience that much anymore.

There are also so many.

So for now what I am going to do is transfer the "network driver" to the windows 7 laptop/usb stick.

Try and install it.

And then see if windows can auto-download all these drivers... that would be cool.

Maybe have to crack windows 7 as well ! lol.

Not sure yet.

Bye,
Sky
Old November 5th 19, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Wow something ****ed up just happened ?!

I pulled out the windows 7 usb stick and then suddenly the laptop re-booted ?!?

Or did I accidently do that ?!

Hmmm weird...

Maybe this is a "feature" of WinToUSB...

Not sure..

Oh well,

Transferring network drivers... I ll put all of them on there just in case... probably need the realtek_ethernet one...

Though there is a bit of a disconnect between the toshiba driver website and the actual filenames of these distributions.

Seems to be thrown together... hmmm...

Not sure now which file corresponds to which description on the website.

Also lots of wireless stuff in there...

Well usb stick is large enough to hold all drivers so for the fun of it I am going to install all and see what happens.

Though perhaps this is beside the point.

It's not about getting this windows 7 working on the laptop... it already has that.

Oh besides... that reminds me I could check on laptop if it has platform update installed.

That update is probably old..

But what worries me is that Battefront might not start because of Radeon graphics... there... google groups again acted weird... probably something to do with shift key.. not sure or it reloads.. .weird.

anyway....

I think it's time to try booting main computer from this usb stick... otherwise it's just a waste of time and I should proceed towards linux.

However this session/experiment was usefulll it caused me to download all drivers for toshiba laptop... so that might be usefull in future.

Though it was amazing to see windows 10 work quite nicely out of the box... I guess it has more recent drivers in it... and somehow compact in it.

These external installers probably contain lots of "bloat" for guis and graphics and such.

Going to try and boot my main PC now to see if old bios can somehow boot into VHD.

That was the original mission of this experiment, not re-installing a laptop lol.

SO ON WITH THE EXPERIMENT... BZZZZZZ computer restart ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.