Ethernet Crossover or Patch Cable

Old July 15th 19, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tb

Default Ethernet Crossover or Patch Cable

I am thinking about getting AT&T Fiber internet and do the setup myself.

The fiberoptic wall plug is in the living room of my apartment. I
would like to keep my desktop PC and fiberoptic modem in my bedroom.
The PC has an Ethernet port but no Wi-Fi, so the connection modem/PC
would be via Ethernet cable, that's why I want to keep PC and modem
close to each other.

But I have to find a solution for the connection between the fiberoptic
plug in the living room and the modem in my bedroom.

The idea is to purchase a long Ethernet cable (about 50 ft) to do that.
Do I need to purchase a crossover or a patch Ethernet cable?

I see them both available online...
--
tb
Old July 15th 19, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
I am thinking about getting AT&T Fiber internet and do the setup myself.

The fiberoptic wall plug is in the living room of my apartment. I
would like to keep my desktop PC and fiberoptic modem in my bedroom.
The PC has an Ethernet port but no Wi-Fi, so the connection modem/PC
would be via Ethernet cable, that's why I want to keep PC and modem
close to each other.

But I have to find a solution for the connection between the fiberoptic
plug in the living room and the modem in my bedroom.

The idea is to purchase a long Ethernet cable (about 50 ft) to do that.
Do I need to purchase a crossover or a patch Ethernet cable?

I see them both available online...

If you have a "fiberoptic wall plug" in one room and the "fiberoptic modem"
in another room in another room it seems as though you would need a fiber
between the two not a standard cable, crossed over not not. Are you leaving
something out? Most "fiber" providers include a little magic box in the
system that terminates their fiber and converts the signals into standard
Ethernet which then go to a standard modem or modem/router/switch box. Do
you have the box which does the fiber-to-Ethernet conversion? If so, where
is it located?
Old July 15th 19, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tb

On 7/15/2019 at 2:59:53 PM John McGaw wrote:

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
[...]

Well, I live in an apartment complex that was recently wired for fiber
internet. AT&T contractors did the wiring. The apartment management
sent out a memo saying that each unit is ready for fiberoptic internet.
All we need to do is to subscribe to one of AT&T's Fiber plans, hook up
the modem etc. that AT&T sends, go through the registration process,
and voilĂ*.

All I can tell you is that they installed a wall plug in the living
room of my apartment. It looks like one of those telephone wall plugs
for the good old landlines where you plug in the cable on one end and
the other end plugs in into the phone. Only this one would go from the
fiberoptic wall plug to the modem and it would be an Ethernet cable,
not a telephone cable.

Hope I have clarified the issue.

--
tb
Old July 16th 19, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
[...]

So you see an RJ45.

Is the connector labeled at all ?

A fiberoptic wall plug would take a fiber
optic cable, like an SC or an MT. You should
say it's an RJ45 (used for Ethernet with 8 pins,
abused for other defacto standard purposes).

I think if one end has MDI/MDIX capable equipment,
for 8 pin Ethernet, you don't have to worry about
cable type. It's older Ethernet equipment with
100BT and the resulting four wires, that is a problem.
As long as there is one piece of gear that is
GbE and has 8 pins, then it can probably use MDI
to select which pairs to talk to.

Paul
Old July 16th 19, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
[...]

Path of least resistance (as I see and understand it): put the modem near
the wall plug and get wireless working. Buy a good wi-fi module for your
computer in the other room. This seems to be way easier and probably
cheaper since good pre-made Ethernet extension is not a cheap item while a
wi-fi module generally is. It will also save the considerable labor of
trying to route a cable from room to room where you are not free to drill
holes in rented walls willy-nilly.

Believe me, running cables in a residence can be horrible. A few years ago
I had to run one extra Ethernet cable from my AT&T modem to provide an
extra feed to the TV box upstairs (I had pre-wired my house for gigabit
Ethernet years before but the TV box would not willingly work when fed by a
switch from the existing Ethernet jack) so I had to run this single cable
perhaps 35 feet to get it where it needed to be behind the home theater
equipment and it took the best part of a day, not counting time to patch up
necessary fishing holes in walls and repainting. I have run literally miles
of cables during my career and this was one of the worst. Sometimes it is
best to just give in and do wi-fi. But if you are _really_ against using
wi-fi, there are always power line systems which will give connectivity in
difficult situations, albeit sometimes a bit slower.

Old July 16th 19, 03:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tb

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
[...]

Thanks John. Nothing against the Wi-Fi module in the bedroom. It
would have to be a module with some Ethernet ports in the back of it as
my desktop PC and printer do not have Wi-Fi, only Ethernet ports.

Which Wi-Fi module do you recommend and commonly available in the USA?
It would have to be something really simple to set up as I am not a
techie...

--
tb
Old July 16th 19, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
[...]

This article is not too technical and pretty well describes the ways out of
your situation:

https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-add...-pc-1569231692

I don't have any specific suggestions for any brand of WI-fi module. There
are just so many of them out there. If you are comfortable with opening
your PC and installing an adapter card I'd probably suggest that but
friends who have used USB adapters have told me that they are just about as
good. One of the established names like Linksys and Netgear are probably
safe bets but looking at Amazon it seems that the oddly-named Chinese
knockoffs outnumber them 50:1. Probably the only thing to do there is to
look for items with large numbers of verified good reviews. (Reviewmeta.com
has a neat browser add-on which evaluates reviews to weed out the questionable)
Old July 16th 19, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
[...]

Stick this out the back of your desktop.
Doubles as a popcorn maker.

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-wd...0XM-001R-000F4

This is the Asus version.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/PCE-AC88/

The modes of operation for Wifi are covered here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirele...of_ope ration

Since nothing remotely resembling a decent manual is
available for these products, I can't provide
any details about setting that up. The driver
has an installshield cab in it. You might be
able to use adhoc mode between two of those cards.
The 2.4GHz band is more likely to penetrate walls
and reach the other end of the house.

I'm guessing infrastructure mode uses a router,
while adhoc mode is point to point. The router
removes the dependency on one of the PCs being
turned on all the time, in order for the other
PC to receive internet connectivity.

There are also mesh networks, where "multiple wireless
router-like boxes" talk to one another, and they
attempt to give better RF coverage in large houses.
Smallnetbuilder.com has reviewed some of those meshes,
and some have better backhaul designs than others
(they don't actually shoot themselves in their foot).
Setting up a mesh costs a small fortune (as mesh
products tend to focus on high end applications).

Paul

Ethernet-USB Cable Alek Trishan[_3_] General 19 June 5th 14 09:04 AM
Twisted cable = Crossover cable? gecko General 8 January 15th 08 11:47 PM
Old PowerBook and Dell laptop - crossover cable woes anon Dell Computers 4 February 11th 05 04:23 AM
UK Question..Cat6 crossover cable David Williams Homebuilt PC's 1 December 3rd 03 05:15 AM
patch or UTP cable? pentiumPunk Homebuilt PC's 4 August 31st 03 05:56 AM