How often do modern laptop power bricks fail?

Old October 11th 10, 01:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Al Dykes

Default How often do modern laptop power bricks fail?

Just curios if power bricks have a failure rate that is worth
counting.

In my day job, we have large numbers of similar laptops and just
putting the laptop on the workbench rules out the brick as the problem.
At home with a one-off laptop, if I ever develop a charging problem,
the first thing I'll want to do is swap the brick and I can't.

The machine in question is a Dell 1464.

--
Al Dykes

Old October 11th 10, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Al Dykes" wrote:

Just curios if power bricks have a failure rate that is worth
counting.

In my day job, we have large numbers of similar laptops and just
putting the laptop on the workbench rules out the brick as the problem.
At home with a one-off laptop, if I ever develop a charging problem,
the first thing I'll want to do is swap the brick and I can't.

The machine in question is a Dell 1464.

My Dell XPS M1330 laptop's power brick failed in the first week.
The first Dell telephpne tech hadn't a clue what was wrong. The 2nd
Dell telephone tech (a woman) immediately suspected the power brick
and sent a field tech over with a new one - which solved THAT problem.
The new power brick as been working now for a couple years, and the
backup (an exact Dell replacement that I bought online from a place in
N. Carolina) has been working daily for 10 months. From my single
experience, it seems that they're subject to "infant mortality", but if they
survive the first week or so, they're fine for the life of the laptop (and
beyond).

*TimDanielsw*