Power consumption of PIII and P4 CPU's?

Old February 11th 04, 06:31 AM
Milhouse Van Houten

Default Power consumption of PIII and P4 CPU's?

Is there a nice chart of wattage figures for these CPU's, preferably one
distinguishing between typical and idle? Google failed me, or maybe I
failed it. Thanks.

Old February 11th 04, 09:47 AM
Graham H

Hi,
Should find enough info on all CPU`s at this url.
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
Regards,
Graham.......

Old February 11th 04, 04:33 PM
Milhouse Van Houten

"Graham H" wrote in message
Hi,
Should find enough info on all CPU`s at this url.
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
Regards,
Graham.......

That's great, thanks for finding it. Since P4's take as much power as the
typical monitor, and monitors have been able to enter low-power modes for
years, I wonder why Intel hasn't designed something similar for desktop
CPU's.

Old February 11th 04, 07:43 PM
Neil Bradley

"Graham H" wrote in message
Hi,
Should find enough info on all CPU`s at this url.
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
Regards,
Graham.......

That's great, thanks for finding it. Since P4's take as much power as the
typical monitor, and monitors have been able to enter low-power modes for
years, I wonder why Intel hasn't designed something similar for desktop
CPU's.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "typical" monitor, but mine consumes 1.8
amps at 120 volts, or 216 watts which is more than double the fastest
Pentium 4 power numbers. When you power off a monitor, it drops from
hundreds of watts to 10s of watts - that's a significant power savings - as
much as the entire pull of a typical PC.

Note that those are maximum power pull numbers, but they do, in actuality,
consume less. Note that any modern PC operating system (Linux, Windows
NT/2000/XP) sits at the halt instruction when it isn't doing anything and is
woken up by system timers. So you are getting some power reduction already
from the OS.

Also consider things like memory, chipset, hard drives, and especially video
cards, consume considerable amounts of power in comparison, so there is no
major "chunk" of power to be regained from doing power savings in the CPU
core. It'd be interesting to know what the chip consumes when it's sitting
at idle (halt).

--Neil

Old February 11th 04, 11:12 PM
Milhouse Van Houten

"Neil Bradley" wrote in message
I'm not sure what you mean by a "typical" monitor, but mine consumes 1.8
amps at 120 volts, or 216 watts which is more than double the fastest
Pentium 4 power numbers. When you power off a monitor, it drops from
hundreds of watts to 10s of watts - that's a significant power savings -
as
much as the entire pull of a typical PC.

That's a lot of monitor; is it a 21" CRT? I was just recalling 17" CRT's, a
popular size these days, as being about 90W-100W (my 19" is listed as
"150W" in the manual.

Old February 12th 04, 12:44 AM
Neil Bradley

"Neil Bradley" wrote in message
Pentium 4 power numbers. When you power off a monitor, it drops from
hundreds of watts to 10s of watts - that's a significant power savings -
much as the entire pull of a typical PC.

That's a lot of monitor; is it a 21" CRT? I was just recalling 17" CRT's,

popular size these days, as being about 90W-100W (my 19" is listed as
"150W" in the manual.

Yes, it's a 21" monitor. But my 17" here claims 175 watts, so I don't really
know if there's a "typical".

But really, "power saving" in a monitor is really "monitor saving" so you
don't wind up wearing the monitor out faster than necessary. ;-) Plus it's a
good thing for those who are forgetful and want it to shut off by itself.

--Neil

Old February 12th 04, 10:22 AM
Grumble

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

Is there a nice chart of wattage figures for these CPU's,
preferably one distinguishing between typical and idle?

I've come across something close for AMD processors:

http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/assets/cont...on_Rev_ENG.pdf

If I find a nice chart on Intel's website, I will post it here.

Old February 13th 04, 11:50 AM
Graham H

Hi,
Talking of power saving modes, this is the main reason why i am considering
going with an AMD64 CPU instead of a P4.
I am intending to build a new PC soon and was originally going with P4 but
the AMD64 has Technology built in called Cool & Quiet.
I like the idea that the PC can slow down and run cooler and quieter when
demands on CPU cyles are low.
Its only gaming that demands so much from my PC and thats the smaller part
of its use, otherwise its doing Internet browsing/Word Processing etc.
I think its about time that more hardware was designed with power reduction
in mind as the ever increasing demand for Processing Power also ends up with
higher Current consumption and generated heat being wasted unneccessarily.
Its not just CPU`s but Video cards and Memory draw huge amount of current as
well.

Old February 14th 04, 12:31 AM
Milhouse Van Houten

"Graham H" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm, eerily, even though I've never heard of this before, upon reading the
PDF I see that it's very close to what I had in mind and went looking for on
the Intel site. It makes a lot of sense (can you imagine the savings in
offices?), since the CPU just isn't doing a whole lot for most people most
of the time, even discounting the overnight hours, where they may or may not
be taking advantage of the normal Windows power management features. I
haven't looked into it, but I wonder if Intel is doing something similar in
their mobile line.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...E10272,00.html

Laptop won't power on Eddy General 6 December 28th 04 11:20 PM
Questions about power use Purple Homebuilt PC's 8 July 4th 04 12:45 AM
PIII & p3bf & streaming video stability Volus Asus Motherboards 3 January 23rd 04 11:38 PM
Computer starts to power up, then shuts down immediately Curtis Newton Homebuilt PC's 4 December 9th 03 03:48 AM
p4p800 work with PIII PSU? Paul Asus Motherboards 2 June 25th 03 11:17 PM