Dell Educational Laptop "Specials" - ripoff??

Old July 31st 04, 05:56 PM
minnehaha

Default Dell Educational Laptop "Specials" - ripoff??

Hi,

I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

Thanks!

Old July 31st 04, 06:20 PM
S.Lewis

"minnehaha" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
their
site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

Thanks!

Build the same system on the 'small business' site. It might even be less
than that.....

Stew

Old July 31st 04, 06:28 PM
Notan

minnehaha wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

Have you tried your school's bookstore or computer center?

Although somewhat limited in selection, there are often some
great prices to be found.

Notan
Old July 31st 04, 06:55 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"minnehaha" wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

You were. Apples and oranges. The $1189 [now shown as $1100 on
special at $1050] was not the same as the model shown on the
Home/Home office page. It had the 15" TFT screen vice the 14.1",
512 MB ram vice 256 MB, etc., etc., etc.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...31&l=en&s=eep#

[If you're short stopped at a login page, this click on the "If
you don't ... click here" link below the login block, and the
/all laptops/ link I've posted should come right up.]

When I checked the base model on both, the Educational side was
offering it at $804 on a $50 off deal on the "norm" of $854.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...spn&l=en&s=eep

[If you're short stopped at a login page, this click on the "If
you don't ... click here" link below the login block, and the
/all laptops/ link I've posted should come right up.]

Home/Home office was $849 after the same $50-off deal that is
apparently going on this weekend.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

So your educational side saves you $45 on the base, nothing added
on/changed, Inspiron 1150.
--
OJ III
Old July 31st 04, 07:09 PM
Edward J. Neth

Make sure you are comparing not only the hardware cost, but the service and
support/warranty plan as well. Most of the education packages include a
3-year complete care warranty.

NEVER buy a notebook computer with less than 3 years of coverage.

Old July 31st 04, 08:27 PM
JLP20

Hi, I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student.....
What am I missing here? .....or am I missing something totally obvious?

Congrats, your education has not been for not. Just because the sign on the
outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.

Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything. Maybe you should
add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first lesson in
Life 101....

"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old July 31st 04, 10:31 PM
minnehaha

Hi, I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their
website.
I'm a grad student.....
What am I missing here? .....or am I missing something totally obvious?

Congrats, your education has not been for not.

naught

Just because the sign on the
outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.

WOW, REALLY!?!?!!?

Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything.

I guess you've never been to college. There are student discounts on just
about everything.

Maybe you should
add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first lesson

in
Life 101....

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Old August 1st 04, 01:02 AM
MK

Dell is a rip off- Even if you get a 5 year warranty and all. Don't buy
Dell! they make the worst laptops ever!

Old August 1st 04, 01:03 AM
MK

There are some hard core DELL technicians (two or three idiots) in this
group who will cry and bitch- Screw them! Don't pay any attention to these
assholes!