Different memory overclock for 2D versus 3D

Old December 11th 04, 03:40 PM
Navid

Default Different memory overclock for 2D versus 3D

I have tried different overclock utilities for my BFG 6800OC
(coolbits, RivaTuner, Expertool).

They all allow me to choose a memory clock rate for 2D and one for 3D.
But, the memory clock rates always remain the same for 2D and 3D for all of
those utilities. I mean I can overclock the memory, but, both 2D and 3D,
not just 3D!

Only the core clock frequency follows my settings and can be different for
2D and 3D.
I want that for the memory too. I don't want to overclock the memory for
2D.

I could do that with my ATI card very easily.

How can I do that?

Thanks,

Navid

Old December 11th 04, 05:14 PM
Friendly Guru

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..

How can I do that?

So far, few utilities allow for full differentation of core/mem : 2D/3D

It's not that big a deal, the overclocked memory is not stressed at higher
frequencies in 2D raster mode. Nor does it use much power, it's the core
and it's speed that makes all the difference, in 2 or 3D.

In other words, if you can live with it, do so!

Old December 11th 04, 07:01 PM
Pete D

Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D if you
use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me do both.

. ..

Old December 11th 04, 07:15 PM
Navid

"Pete D" wrote in message
Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D if
you use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me do
both.

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
I have tried different overclock utilities for my BFG 6800OC
(coolbits, RivaTuner, Expertool).

They all allow me to choose a memory clock rate for 2D and one for 3D.
But, the memory clock rates always remain the same for 2D and 3D for all
of those utilities. I mean I can overclock the memory, but, both 2D and
3D, not just 3D!

Only the core clock frequency follows my settings and can be different
for 2D and 3D.
I want that for the memory too. I don't want to overclock the memory for
2D.

I could do that with my ATI card very easily.

How can I do that?

Thanks,

Navid

It may let you choose such a setting. But, if you check with a utility like
Everest or SiSoft Sandra, you will see that the memory clock rate is the
same for 2D and 3D.

Old December 12th 04, 02:57 AM
Pete D

"Navid" wrote in message
m...

"Pete D" wrote in message
Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D if
you use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me do
both.

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Where are you checking that setting in Everest and SSS?

Old December 12th 04, 05:27 AM
Navid

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
m...

"Pete D" wrote in message
Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D if
you use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me do
both.

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Everest: Look under "Display" and "GPU".
You can see GPU clock.
Under "Memory Bus Properties", you can see "Effective clock".

SiSoft Sandra does not seem to provide that information. Sorry, my mistake!

Old December 12th 04, 06:54 PM
Pete D

"Navid" wrote in message
news

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
m...

"Pete D" wrote in message
Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D
if you use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me
do both.

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

EVerest says "Effective Clock 1Mhz" so I am guessing that it is not reading
correctly. Also says "Bandwidth 32Mhz", woops.

Old December 13th 04, 04:05 PM
Chip

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
news

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
m...

"Pete D" wrote in message
Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D
if you use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me
do both.

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Rivatuner allows you to monitor the voltages (core and memory) in real-time.
You can see the memory voltage is the same for 2D and 3D.

Chip

Old December 13th 04, 04:06 PM
Chip

"Chip" wrote in message

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
news

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
m...

"Pete D" wrote in message
Thats strange because you should be able to change both for 2D and 3D
if you use the coolbits registry hack, I know my Leadtek 6800 lets me
do both.

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

DOH, I mean *frequencies* of course, not *voltages*. Sorry my mind was
elsewhere when I typed this.

Chip