AGP Latency Tuning

Old August 22nd 03, 06:06 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

Default AGP Latency Tuning

Hello All,

I played with powerstip a little while back, and used it to build a
monitor.ini file for my flatpanels. I couldnt use my GF4MX420 in anything
other than VGA mode... i made the .ini, and it took care of me.

while I was playing with PS, I saw that I could alter the AGP latency. I did
some reading, cant remember exactly where, but what i read suggested that
the default latency tended to be somewhat high, and that it could be
lowered, and would greatly improve the cards performance.

I didnt feel too comfy with this, so I didnt do it. I was wondering what you
all think about this idea.

Thanks,

NuTs

Old August 22nd 03, 12:22 PM
HamMan

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
Hello All,

I played with powerstip a little while back, and used it to build a
monitor.ini file for my flatpanels. I couldnt use my GF4MX420 in anything
other than VGA mode... i made the .ini, and it took care of me.

while I was playing with PS, I saw that I could alter the AGP latency. I

did
some reading, cant remember exactly where, but what i read suggested that
the default latency tended to be somewhat high, and that it could be
lowered, and would greatly improve the cards performance.

I didnt feel too comfy with this, so I didnt do it. I was wondering what

you
all think about this idea.

Thanks,

NuTs

Lowering it would make the card faster, but make it more stressed which
could make it lockup / drop to desktop in opengl and D3D apps; or worst case
melt

Old August 22nd 03, 02:23 PM
HamMan

"Spajky" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:22:45 +0100, "HamMan"
wrote:

Lowering it would make the card faster, ...

IMHO it is on the contarry!

-- Regards & see my site, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

do i look like i care?

Old August 22nd 03, 05:45 PM
Spajky

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:01:15 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:

Lowering it would make the card faster, ...

IMHO it is on the contarry!

Okay... care to elaborate on that?

IMHO latency on the port tells
chipset to how many cycles to reserve & keep the communication bus
occupied by certain card. If is set to high, that card could hog the
bus too long so other ones would totally be used less time & could
make problems to other cards accessing data transfer not having enough
time...
BUT since AGP port transfers so much more data than other cards IMHO
is better that has higher number of clocks available for data transfer
(longer hog of the bus!) . So IMHO if you are a gamer should be better
higher AGP latency (less stuttering in games) BUT if you use the
machine for AUDIO work, the AGP latency should be minimal & Audio PCI
card higher for example...
I am not sure & I could be also wrong but common sense tells me should
be so...

-- Regards & see my site, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

CAS Latency Operator Overclocking AMD Processors 4 February 17th 04 10:06 PM
RAM Latency Confusion Bob Day General 3 September 28th 03 11:18 AM
What makes it faster? Lower latency or higher bus speed? Daniel Gomes Overclocking 0 July 26th 03 01:41 AM
Cas latency among the same speed RAM modules [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 July 19th 03 05:41 PM
Cas latency among the same speed RAM modules [email protected] General 1 July 18th 03 10:51 PM