What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

Old June 13th 06, 08:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

Why even bother. Get the latest version from Adobe.

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Dick wrote:
On a late model Dell, which disk would contain the Adobe Reader that
comes pre-installed? The only thing I have that looks like it might
is labeled, "Dell Dimension and XPS ResourceCD." It also says,
"Drivers and Utilities." I have looked through the files, but many
are compressed and/or not identified. Don't see anything with Adobe
on it.

Old June 13th 06, 08:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Office prior to 2003 did that..... Always annoyed the hell out of me...

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Dick wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:50:57 -0600, Notan
wrote:

Dick wrote:
I know, but in order to uninstall the one Dell put on, and install
7.0, it asks for a disk which we apparently don't have.

snip

You're asked for a disk to *uninstall* a program?

Notan

I have seen that before. I think with some Microsoft programs.

Dick

Old June 13th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

[rearranged to make consistent posting sequence]

Hank Arnold writes:
Dick wrote:
Notan wrote:
Dick wrote:

I know, but in order to uninstall the one Dell put on, and install
7.0, it asks for a disk which we apparently don't have.

You're asked for a disk to *uninstall* a program?

I have seen that before. I think with some Microsoft programs.

Office prior to 2003 did that..... Always annoyed the hell out of me...

Agreed. Office not only wanted the original disk (or network share),
but wanted it at the same drive letter or network path that was used
in the original installation. Not nice if your distribution was via
a network server and the function was rehosted to a different
machine. The data was kept in a half-binary, half-ASCII (this description
is deliberate...) file that would be rendered unusable if edited
with Notepad (Wordpad worked OK because it retained tab characters).

The workaround for the problem with Office -- which might work for
the OP here -- was to run the setup program from whatever media was
available for the version of Office installed on the user's machine.
This would give you access to the "remove" function, so it might
be worth trying to *install* AR6, then uninstall it.

One other item: I can't recall if AR6 used Microsoft Installer as its
installation tool (AR7 does, but I don't have a copy of AR6 handy to
check). If so, and the OP can locate a copy of the AR6 installation
file it might be possible to use the repair function of MSI to
fix up whatever problems exist with the AR6 installation, then
remove it.

Joe Morris
Old June 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

Dick wrote:
I know, but in order to uninstall the one Dell put on, and install
7.0, it asks for a disk which we apparently don't have.

snip
You're asked for a disk to *uninstall* a program?

Notan

Had to do that recently to get rid of Dell Support 2.0 (well, I could've
edited the registry) by downloading the newer version, initializing setup,
then choosing uninstall.

I was laughing when I did it because it was dumb that I should've had to do
it that way.

Stew

Old June 13th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Because he can't uninstall 6.0 to be able to install 7.0 without
having the disk that installed 6.0 in the first place. I have told
him to download 6.0 from Adobe and install it as another poster
recommended. If he gets a good install, he should be able to
uninstall it and install 7.0.

Dick

Old June 13th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

why cant the files be erased from the program folders, and use a program
like hijack or msconfig to remove any traces in startup and memory
resident first.
have you tried that?
perhaps a registry cleaner after that.

Dick wrote:
Because it won't let him. He gets an error when trying to install
7.0, and he can't uninstall 6.0 without the install disk. Something
was corrupted when he copied his files from the old to the new
computer. I'm guessing he copied the registry from the old computer.
Something I would never do.

Dick