Axim questions...

Old June 3rd 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Axim questions...

I looking into theAxim X51v that's on special right now...with it's
wireless capability can this thing browse the internet?? I dont know
much aboutPDAs..I do want something I can take around easier than my
laptop...so i could check my forums on my site and emails. am i
dreaming or what?

Old June 3rd 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Buslady" wrote in message
ups.com...
I looking into theAxim X51v that's on special right now...with it's
wireless capability can this thing browse the internet?? I dont know
much aboutPDAs..I do want something I can take around easier than my
laptop...so i could check my forums on my site and emails. am i
dreaming or what?

It has integrated 802.11b wireless, so any hotspot that supports B wireless
(almost all) will work. The only challenge is that the browser is a bit
limited. I installed the minimo (mini-mozilla) browser and it works much
better. Make sure you get the full VGA (640x480) model as the QVGA
(320x240) is not useable for browsing.

I actually prefer to use Terminal services to connect to my home machine and
do all the work on the home machine through the internet. Works very well.

Orb works really well to stream video too.

Tom

Old June 3rd 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Oh yes, I you have a wireless router at home you can surf the net very
easily. In fact there are a couple restaurants I go to regularly that have
wireless set up so while waiting for a meal I can do a bit of browing.

You can set within the Explorer browser a set of mobile favorites that show
up on the Dell. Now I don't use the builtin explorer on my Axim. I found a
program called ftxPBrowser which I much prefer and it is free.

Old June 3rd 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 3 Jun 2006 10:11:15 -0700, "Buslady" wrote:

I looking into theAxim X51v that's on special right now...with it's
wireless capability can this thing browse the internet?? I dont know
much aboutPDAs..I do want something I can take around easier than my
laptop...so i could check my forums on my site and emails. am i
dreaming or what?

Hi, if you're interested in an Axim X51v (the most powerful one
offered) as well as a bluetooth keyboard, extended battery, 1G SD
card, two hard cases (one magnesium and one aluminum -- for standard
and extened batteries respectively), and two leather cases (sena), I
would sell all of it for less than the price of the accessories alone.

Feel free to e-mail me at .

Journey
Old June 4th 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Howabout IM software, do they make something like AIM or MSN's
messenger for handhelds?

Old June 4th 06, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 4 Jun 2006 07:33:39 -0700, "Buslady" wrote:

Howabout IM software, do they make something like AIM or MSN's
messenger for handhelds?

I believe that they do. If you want to know for sure, do some web
searches and you should be able to find out quickly. There are
programs like that for the Palm platform so I would be really
surprised if there aren't any for Pocket PC.
Old June 5th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
Buslady wrote:
Howabout IM software, do they make something like AIM or MSN's
messenger for handhelds?

Check out aximsite.com, there's an excellent thread called Favorite
Freebies which has links to any kind of software you can thing of.

So it sounds like this little Axim's a pretty decent handheld with lots
of goodies to grab. I've had great experience with my Inspiron 6000 so
I'm sticking w/ Dell. It's just over a year old, and never one issue
with it.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Old June 5th 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 4 Jun 2006 17:43:53 -0700, "Buslady" wrote:

So it sounds like this little Axim's a pretty decent handheld with lots
of goodies to grab. I've had great experience with my Inspiron 6000 so
I'm sticking w/ Dell. It's just over a year old, and never one issue
with it.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

As far as Pocket PCs go, I think the Axim is the best (IMO). However,
it's not all smooth sailing.

First of all, you will want to upgrade to A06. Then, even after you
do that, you will have problems with missing CF cards etc. There is a
fix on the Axim site for that which involves setting up a fake server
and then deleting it. It's a stickie on the forum there so you should
be able to find it.

Alternatives to consider: a Palm handheld, or a Palm or Pocket PC
smart phone.

The Pocket PC platform is OK, but Palm still has its Zen. For
managing appointments, for me, Palm is much easier, faster, and
cleaner.

However, Palm doesn't have a device (other than the slow and clunky
lifedrive) with voice recording. The Zire 72 has been retired. The
TX is missing that important feature.

With the Axim, you can easily take voice notes, you can purchase a
program (Resco Audio Recorder) to record lectures very well, and you
can take unlimited pen notes.

With affordable 2G SD and CF cards the Axim can also play the role of
MP3 player or audiobook (www.audible.com) player. Because it has dual
cards, you can decide which to use for audio files and keep the other
resident for files you want to always have with you...

Old June 13th 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Axim questions...UPDATE

On 12 Jun 2006 15:25:26 -0700, "Buslady" wrote:

Welll I did it and got a X51v...d

Congrats on the X51v. I wish you best of luck with Activesync. Make
sure to upgrade to A06, and check out www.aximsite.com. Also, I
recommend Sprite Backup.

How are you going to use it -- as a PIM too? I like Pocket Informant
first, but Agenda Fusion is good too. Neither has the speed or some
of the nice features of a Palm device (for example floating events)
but the Agenda view is something that works well for the Pocket PC
that doesn't work well on the Palm.