Best software for backup up files and copying DVDs with DVD-R drive?

Old August 9th 03, 06:47 AM
Some One

Default Best software for backup up files and copying DVDs with DVD-R drive?

Hey all!

Just picked up a new Pioneer DVR-A05U DVD writer and I was wondering
what the best software package out there is?

Two items I'll be using the drive for...

- Mostly, backup and archive of files... MP3 collections, old
documents, etc...
- A little bit of duplication of some of my movie DVDs so they don't
get messed up.

Can someone suggest a decent software package to use my drive with (or
a more appropriate newsgroup) ???

Thanks!!!

Old August 9th 03, 03:32 PM
ChrisJ9876

From: John
Date: 08/09/2003 9:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 05:47:47 GMT, "Some One"
wrote:

Hey all!

Just picked up a new Pioneer DVR-A05U DVD writer and I was wondering
what the best software package out there is?

Two items I'll be using the drive for...

- Mostly, backup and archive of files... MP3 collections, old
documents, etc...
- A little bit of duplication of some of my movie DVDs so they don't
get messed up.

Can someone suggest a decent software package to use my drive with (or
a more appropriate newsgroup) ???

Thanks!!!

There are two ways to copy flicks.

One way was taken by DVD2ONE . As you know commercial DVDs hold twice
as much data as writable DVDs so simple copying to one disk isnt
possible. What DVD2ONE did was copy the main movie - not the extras
and menus etc - just the main flick and even that often didnt fit on
one writable - so it would compress the flick a bit to ONE DVD
writable.

The other method was to copy everything - onto TWO writable disks .
This was used by DVDXCOPY - 123 studios which is being sued by the
media firms. The early versions were buggy and theres still some
problems I think with the menus or titles . Look them up. They have a
users forum which goes into problems etc. But theoretically this
doesnt compress the flick and it copies everything but uses two disks.

Now DVDXCOPY - copied the DVD2ONE method and came out with
DVDXpress which squeezes the mainflick onto one disk. So 123 studios
had two programs - DVDXCOPY and DVDXpress. Ive also read that they
improved DVDXpress to try to copy everything on the original and
compress it onto one disk.

Also I think they have a version now that combines both Xcopy and
Xpress into one prog I think. Read up on it at their site.

For backing up - Im not sure what you mean. Simple drag and drop
archives ? Or backing up your whole hard disk? I dont use my DVD
burner for it so I wouldnt know about the back up progs but for simple
burning - theres a lot of them from the old EZCD 6.0 , NERO 6.0 ,
RecordNow Max and a zillion others. I like NERO because they keep it
up to date and Im used to it and its one of the most popular programs
out there for burning MP3s to SVCDs etc.

For good backup software, check out NovaBackup at
www.novastor.com. I've been
using it for several years.
Old August 9th 03, 03:58 PM
Vanguard

"Some One" wrote in message
. ca
Hey all!

Just picked up a new Pioneer DVR-A05U DVD writer and I was wondering
what the best software package out there is?

Two items I'll be using the drive for...

- Mostly, backup and archive of files... MP3 collections, old
documents, etc...
- A little bit of duplication of some of my movie DVDs so they don't
get messed up.

Can someone suggest a decent software package to use my drive with (or
a more appropriate newsgroup) ???

Thanks!!!

The CD-RW drives that I've bought in the past always came with backup
software, either Roxio's or Ahead's. Your DVD writer didn't come with
ANY software? Boy, that sucks as the cost of getting this drive gets
more expensive when you have to then go hunting for software.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address.

Old August 9th 03, 05:40 PM
Some One

Two items I'll be using the drive for...

- Mostly, backup and archive of files... MP3 collections, old
documents, etc...
- A little bit of duplication of some of my movie DVDs so they

don't
get messed up.

One way was taken by DVD2ONE . As you know commercial DVDs hold

twice
as much data as writable DVDs so simple copying to one disk isnt
possible. What DVD2ONE did was copy the main movie - not the

extras
and menus etc - just the main flick and even that often didnt fit on
one writable - so it would compress the flick a bit to ONE DVD
writable.

The other method was to copy everything - onto TWO writable disks .
This was used by DVDXCOPY - 123 studios which is being sued by the

snip
Also I think they have a version now that combines both Xcopy and
Xpress into one prog I think. Read up on it at their site.

DVD X Copy Gold, I believe... I looked at their stuff, but I can't
decide whether or not to be impressed. I didn't know about DVD2ONE, so
I'll check it out.

For backing up - Im not sure what you mean. Simple drag and drop
archives ? Or backing up your whole hard disk? I dont use my DVD
burner for it so I wouldnt know about the back up progs but for

simple
burning - theres a lot of them from the old EZCD 6.0 , NERO 6.0 ,

snip

This is what I meant... I liked Adaptec long ago until their software
got buggy. Nero works, but can be confusing to use - lots of options
and little explanation. I just thought there may be something out
there that may work better with DVD writers.

Thanks!

Old August 9th 03, 09:32 PM
CBFalconer

Some One wrote:

Just picked up a new Pioneer DVR-A05U DVD writer and I was
wondering what the best software package out there is?

Two items I'll be using the drive for...

- Mostly, backup and archive of files... MP3 collections, old
documents, etc...
- A little bit of duplication of some of my movie DVDs so they
don't get messed up.

Can someone suggest a decent software package to use my drive
with (or a more appropriate newsgroup) ???

XXCOPY. See www.xxcopy.com This assumes you are using some
flavor of Windows. At all costs, never use the Microsoft backups
- they always result in loss of all backups at the next upgrade.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old August 10th 03, 07:20 AM
Some One

Just a wanted to send a warning out to all...

Seems that 321Studios can't make any money from their software, so
they stuff it full of AdWare... I just found "SaveNow" lurking after
installing.

BAD stuff here!