Plz help check my parts for first PC build..

Old October 20th 04, 11:18 PM
Chris

Default Plz help check my parts for first PC build..

Hi.
I'm about to order all the parts to attempt to build myself a new PC
Would really appreciate some help!! Please..
I'm really worried about a few things, mainly, will everything be
compatible, especially the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and HDD.
I'm also worried about what cables i may need, and if I have everything for
the BFG graphics card that I'm planning to get.
The system requirements for it are confusing me as to whether i will need to
order extra cables etc, and even get a bigger PSU.

BFG System Requirements:
A minimum 480W system power supply, An AGP 2.0 (or higher) compliant,
motherboard. Some motherboards violate the AGP specification and therefore
this card may not physically fit in some systems. A vacant PCI slot adjacent
to the AGP slot. This board occupies two slots: one AGP and one PCI. Two
available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector
is not sufficient).

For instance, it says 2 available hard disk drive power dongles?? Where do I
order these from? or will they be included with my PSU?
Also, will my Mother board be AGP 2.0 compliant?
-
The parts i have ready to order:

Motherboard:
Abit AV8 SKT939 K8T800PRO 800FSB 8xAGP SATA Sound GIG LAN Retail Box
from he
More info he
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=175

PSU
Antec PSU True Blue 480w Blue Led Fan
from he
Will it be powerful enough and have enough cables for the BFG and everything
else???

MEMORY
I'll be getting this: Kingston 1GB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) DIMM (Kit
2)
From:
As far as i can see, it will be compatible with the motherboard.

CASE
The case I will be getting is this: Antec Plusview 1000 4x5.25 5x3.5 ATX
Tower Case with Side Window
From he
It says compliant for AMD so i'm hoping it will be ok.

CPU
Athlon 64 3500+ S939 512Kb Box
From he
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...n%2064%203500#

HDD
Western Digital WD2000JD 200GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM
from he

Cables so far:
1x Belkin Serial ATA 2.0 7-pin Cable - Red 18" for the hard drive. Will i
need any more?
1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable

I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
more..

By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it support
dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of my
existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?

Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band, windows
xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
most important.

Many many thanks for any help.
If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

Chris

Old October 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
Chris Stolworthy

From:
As far as i can see, it will be compatible with the motherboard.

CASE
The case I will be getting is this: Antec Plusview 1000 4x5.25 5x3.5 ATX
Tower Case with Side Window
From he
It says compliant for AMD so i'm hoping it will be ok.

CPU
Athlon 64 3500+ S939 512Kb Box
From he
[...]

One thing you may need that I didn't see in your list is a SATA power
adapter. The PSU listed doesn't have one built in. The reason (if I
remember correctly) that the video card requires two power adapters is that
your video card actually needs to have 2 seperate power plugs into it. It
is a power hungry little beast. As far as the compliancy, it will be
compliant. Some motherboards/cases are too cramped to fit the card and this
is just warning you to make sure yours won't be.
Also I can't remember off the top of my head so someone will have to either
confurm or deny this, is that the 939 processors (it may have been the 940)
require registered RAM.

Just my .03 worth. (.02+tax)
-Chris

Old October 24th 04, 08:12 PM
Azaran2003

Hi.
I'm about to order all the parts to attempt to build myself a new PC
Would really appreciate some help!! Please..

snip

Hey Chris, looks like you got a decent selection there. You should have plenty
of connectors on your PSU, infact you'll proably have more than you need,
especialy with the Y splitter. However like the other Chris mentioned you will
probably need to get an adapter to go from the Molex power connecter (whats on
the PSU) to the SATA power connection on the back of the drive.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...PROD&Store_Cod
e=M&Product_Code=270304&Category_Code=SATACables

This is an example of what ya need for that. Its a US company so you'll
probably need to find one in your area. However from what ABIT says on their
product specs the Motherboard should ship with a SATA power connector, so up to
you if you want to order a new one.

As for the rest of your gear, it looks good. The board you got is compatable
with your RAM, CPU and should fit just fine in your case.

On the case, make sure it comes with both fans in the front and rear so you
have good airflow. Also if you find you need to use the Y splitter, use those
for the fans if they dont connect to the motherboard. The demand on power isnt
as server with fans as it is with harddrives, cdroms, vidcards etc.

As for your RAM, while it'll work I'd personaly recomend something a bit
faster. Your building what looks like a pretty good gaming rig so it would
probably be able to take advantage of a slight increase in RAM speed. See if
you can afford to go for some CL 2.5 or CL 2 ram if possible. If not, no real
worries, was just really the only thing I could see as being something I'd
change.

Sound. From the specs from ABIT, your board should have some decent sound.
Onboard sound has come a very long way, however I do not know if it supports
5.1 dobly. I'd say wait in the soundcard, build your system and if it doesnt,
then get a sound card. I'm a personal fan of Hercules sound cards, if for no
other reason that Creative just loads so much crap when you install the card.

As for all the other stuff your ordering, try and find an OEM of Windows XP,
you'll save a ton there, since your getting a SATA drive you will need to get a
floppy drive, and of course a CD drive is a must. Personal recomendation is
getting a Plextor CDRW or DVDRW drive. Solid company tho a bit more cash for
one than the cheapies out there.

Good luck
~A

Old October 26th 04, 04:02 PM
Chris

Hi
Many thanks for the detailed response
I've ordered all the parts, just waiting for ebuyer.com to deliver. Payed
for next day delivery but its a few days overdue and its a nightmare trying
to contact them. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, many thanks again for the useful info. It helps.
Kind Regards,
Chris