A Big Mystery To Me

Old May 14th 04, 07:32 PM
Kenneth

Default A Big Mystery To Me

Okay, having some problems with my system at home. I'm going to run
down a list of problems, things I've tried, and the results. I'm
stumped here, so I'd like whatever feedback is out there...

I've got a P4 2.4GHz processor with 512MB PC2700, GeForce 4 Ti4200,
Soundblaster Audigy2, 300w power supply, c:\ drive is a 60 GB Maxtor,
and d:\ drive is a 120GB Western Digital.

- Got home one day and the monitor was black. I rebooted the system
and got into Windows, however, my D:\ drive didn't show up.
- Tried rebooting again only to not be able to boot into Windows at all.
It would get to the Windows XP Loading screen, then go blank, wait a
few moments, and restart.
- Booting into save mode froze and died on me when it got to agp440.sys
(I think it is)
- I hastily installed Linux on a free partition on my c:\ drive, and was
fortunately able to recover many of the files on my D:\ drive and burn
them to DVD. Not the slightest problem accessing the drive or the data.
- I tried physically disconnecting the D:\ drive, and the system booted.
- I went into the Windows XP recovery console and ran chkdsk on the D:\
drive. It said it found one or more errors on the drive.
- The system booted up fine into Windows after this for all of one day;
I ran a chkdsk from Windows and found that the D:\ drive reported 4KB in
bad sectors.
- The next day it went back to going blank after the XP loading screen.
- I tried the recovery console again, chkdsk found errors on D:\, but
this time the system still didn't boot into Windows.
- I ran chkdsk on the C:\ drive and it said it found one or more errors.
- I tried using the XP disk to recovery my Windows XP installation. At
one point during the process, it reported that a dll couldn't be loaded.
After restarting the system and re-attempting this process, everything
installed properly. However, upon trying to boot into Windows I got a
very rare BSOD with the error message of "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR".
- It did this every time I tried to boot the system. Finally, I gave up
and formatted the C:\ drive and reinstalled Windows. It booted into the
system fine, and everything seems to work well.
- I ran a chkdsk from Windows to happily find that there were no bad
sectors on the C:\ drive.
- I have yet to plug the D:\ drive back in. I'm kind of afraid to.

I haven't added any new hardware or any significant software on the
system in quite some time, and it appeared to have been running fine
under its previous configuration. I haven't a clue what started this
frustrating chain of events. I'm open for any input and/or speculation.

Kenneth
Old May 14th 04, 08:41 PM
Bob Day

"Kenneth" wrote in message
Okay, having some problems with my system at home. I'm going to run
down a list of problems, things I've tried, and the results. I'm
stumped here, so I'd like whatever feedback is out there...
I haven't a clue what started this
frustrating chain of events. I'm open for any input and/or speculation.

Here might be a good place to begin:

1. Make sure your CPU and case temperatures are OK, and
that the CPU fan, case fans, and any other fans are
working.

2. Shut down your computer and turn off power *at the
surge protector* (which cuts off standby power while
leaving your computer grounded) or unplug it. Take
the standard protections against static electricity
(wear a wrist strap or keep one hand grounded at all
times).

3. Open up your computer and dust it out. *Do not use a
vacuum cleaner* - it might cause static discharge.
Get some dust remover spray (RadioShack has it) and
a dust mask, and take your computer outside and spray
out the dust. Keep the end of the spray straw at least
six inches from any components and keep it moving so as
to avoid excessive thermal shock to the components.

4. Reseat all the modules, including the memory modules,
and cables inside your computer.

5. If your computer is a few years old, remove your CMOS
battery and check its voltage (or just replace it). In
any case, Clear CMOS (see your mainboard manual for how to
do it) and set up your BIOS again.

6. Run a few cycles of "memtest86" (download from
http://www.memtest86.com) to thoroughly check out your
memory. You should get zero errors.

7. Run a full set of hardware diagnostics. ("diag378.exe",
downloadable from ftp://ftp1.dell.com/diags, after a few
complaints, will run on most non-Dell computers.)
You should get zero errors.

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software, now with
adjustable motion sensitivity, at: http://bobday.vze.com.

Old May 15th 04, 03:39 PM
Kenneth

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:32:34 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

Okay, having some problems with my system at home. I'm going to run
down a list of problems, things I've tried, and the results. I'm
stumped here, so I'd like whatever feedback is out there...

I've got a P4 2.4GHz processor with 512MB PC2700, GeForce 4 Ti4200,
Soundblaster Audigy2, 300w power supply, c:\ drive is a 60 GB Maxtor,
and d:\ drive is a 120GB Western Digital.

You need a different, larger power supply...unless the one that you
have is approved by Intel.

The other problems are probably just minor...and caused by the drives
suddenly quitting.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

It makes all sense that the power supply, being a 300, wouldn't push all the
junk in my rig. The thing that's confusing me is why would it suddenly be
inefficient now? This power supply has been running in this system for
nearly a year without a problem.

That works out to be a pretty easy thing to test, though. I do have a spare
power supply, 400w, that I can put in. It's just as noisy as all get out,
that's why I took it out in the first place.

I'll give it a shot and will report back anything that I find.

Kenneth

Old May 15th 04, 04:19 PM
Kenneth

wrote:

[...]

Well, I've put the other power supply in. So far no problems, but after
formatting my C:\ drive and reinstalling Windows, I haven't had any problems
anyway, other than chkdsk taking forever and a day on the D:\ drive. My
computer now sounds like a jet engine with that other power supply.

By the way, I was wrong about that power supply. The other one I had was a
Seasonic SS-400S... a 400w power supply. I certainly would have thought
that would have been enough to push it. I mean, I'm not running the latest
GeForce or anything...

Ken

Old May 15th 04, 04:25 PM
Ken

On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:39:12 -0500, "Kenneth"
wrote:

It makes all sense that the power supply, being a 300, wouldn't push
all the junk in my rig. The thing that's confusing me is why would
it suddenly be inefficient now? This power supply has been running
in this system for nearly a year without a problem.

When capacitors in the PSU get older the PSU can't manage full power.
The PSU have work near it's limit and working hot and that make the
capacitors old very fast. Get a real 480-550W PSU.

Old May 15th 04, 11:49 PM
~misfit~

Bob Day wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message
[...]

And while you're at it you might as well wash the car and walk the dog for
all the good that load of twaddle is gonna help.
--
~misfit~

Old May 15th 04, 11:51 PM
~misfit~

wrote:

[...]

Component deterioration? It happens, that's why I'm not still using my old
PSUs.
--
~misfit~

Old May 15th 04, 11:56 PM
~misfit~

Kenneth wrote:
wrote:

[...]

A ti4200 still sucks a bit of juice (sorry to get all technical), especially
on the 3.3v rail. Not all power supplies are capable of putting out their
rated wattage, and, even amongst those that are it can be differently
distributed around the three main rails.

I have a similar system to yours, only running an XP1800+ at 2.1Ghz instead.
The rest is pretty much identical, down to the ti4200. I had a "400W" PSU in
it that wasn't. The 3.3v rail especially was sagging something wicked, down
to 3v. A new, good brand 400W did the trick.
--
~misfit~

Old May 16th 04, 12:28 AM
Kenneth

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Kenneth wrote:
wrote:

[...]

After getting the INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR problem, I decided to monitor the
voltage. The 5, 3.3, and 1.6 are all pretty rock solid, on both the old
power supply and the one I just put in. On the old power supply, the 3.3
never fluctuated; on the one I just in it dips a little bit.

The 12v reading fluctuates a bit; but never really gets any lower than 11.8
or 12.06. I don't know if that would affect it.

I'd still appreciate whatever feedback everyone can offer to help me solve
this mystery. For what it's worth, chkdsk running from Windows on the D
drive ran for like 10 hours and was still only four "blocks" through Phase
4... way too long. I don't think DMA mode is enabled on the drive now, it's
taking forever to copy files from D: to C:.

Kenneth