USB 2.0 question

Old May 15th 04, 10:36 AM
Phileas

Default USB 2.0 question

I've just bought a new motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X).
It has USB 2.0 ports.
I'm running WinME.
I've got a hard-drive-type MP3 player.

If the USB 2.0 ports were working correctly, should I expect file transfer
to be a lot quicker than it was with USB 1.1?
Is it likely that my USB 2.0 ports are working as USB 1.1 because I'm using
WinME?
There are green question marks next to the two Standard OpenHCI USB Host
Controllers in device manager.
I have installed the drivers supplied with the motherboard and downloaded
all the available nVidia and ASUS drivers.

Phileas

Old May 15th 04, 03:19 PM
kony

On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:36:45 GMT, "Phileas" wrote:

I've just bought a new motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X).
It has USB 2.0 ports.
I'm running WinME.
I've got a hard-drive-type MP3 player.

If the USB 2.0 ports were working correctly, should I expect file transfer
to be a lot quicker than it was with USB 1.1?

Only if the MP3 player supports USB2 and the port-pair you're conecting it
to doesn't have any other USB1 devices plugged in which will drop speed of
both ports to USB1.

Is it likely that my USB 2.0 ports are working as USB 1.1 because I'm using
WinME?

Likely? Depends on if you installed the driver. WinME needs a driver for
USB2.

There are green question marks next to the two Standard OpenHCI USB Host
Controllers in device manager.

Well that does sound suspicious. Do the properties for those make any
mention of the issue?

I have installed the drivers supplied with the motherboard and downloaded
all the available nVidia and ASUS drivers.

Phileas

Just to clarify, you tried this driver?
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/usb20/usb20_98me.zip
Old May 15th 04, 04:21 PM
Phileas

"kony" wrote in message
[...]

This has the same name as the driver file supplied with the motherboard.
Strange - I didn't manage to find that on the ASUS website.

I tried it anyway just in case it made a difference - it doesn't. Still got
the green question marks. The device status reads:
This device is working properly.
If some features of this device are not working, you may need to update the
drivers for this device.

I plugged the MP3 player (which definitely supports USB 2.0) into a
different USB port pair - still seems as slow as before.

Phileas

Old May 15th 04, 05:42 PM
Stacey

Phileas wrote:

There are green question marks next to the two Standard OpenHCI USB Host
Controllers in device manager.
I have installed the drivers supplied with the motherboard and downloaded
all the available nVidia and ASUS drivers.

The drivers didn't install right. I ran into this with a nvidia based board,
USB2.0 drivers and win98SE.

Go into the device manager, go to the properties of those devices, I bet it
will say something about driver not installed or something to that effect.
Click: reinstall or update driver, check let windows find best driver,
uncheck all the drive locations in the next window and click next. Then it
will find the drivers in C:\windows and let it install them. At least
that's what I had to do to get the drivers to install.
--

Stacey
Old May 15th 04, 07:22 PM
Phileas

"Stacey" wrote in message
Phileas wrote:

The drivers didn't install right. I ran into this with a nvidia based

board,
USB2.0 drivers and win98SE.

Go into the device manager, go to the properties of those devices, I bet

it
will say something about driver not installed or something to that effect.
Click: reinstall or update driver, check let windows find best driver,
uncheck all the drive locations in the next window and click next. Then it
will find the drivers in C:\windows and let it install them. At least
that's what I had to do to get the drivers to install.
--

I've tried to repeat this but only ended up installing drivers from my WinME
disk.

I then re-installed the USB2.0 drivers from the motherboard disc and at
least I've got rid of the green question marks.

Still slow file transfer though. Maybe my (USB2.0, hard-disk-type) MP3
player is just slow to write to.

Phileas

Old May 16th 04, 01:24 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:22:28 GMT As another one bit the dust "Phileas"
wrote :

"Stacey" wrote in message
Phileas wrote:

[...]

Try here,
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old May 16th 04, 03:39 AM
Stacey

Phileas wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
Phileas wrote:

The drivers didn't install right. I ran into this with a nvidia based

board,
USB2.0 drivers and win98SE.

Go into the device manager, go to the properties of those devices, I bet

it
will say something about driver not installed or something to that
effect. Click: reinstall or update driver, check let windows find best
driver, uncheck all the drive locations in the next window and click
next. Then it will find the drivers in C:\windows and let it install
them. At least that's what I had to do to get the drivers to install.
--

I've tried to repeat this but only ended up installing drivers from my
WinME disk.

I then re-installed the USB2.0 drivers from the motherboard disc and at
least I've got rid of the green question marks.

Now look at the driver info and see who's is installed. If it isn't the
newer ones, reinstall drivers but this time point them to the folder on the
CD where the USB2.0 drivers are located. Sometimes windows tries to fight
you this way installing drivers! I've even had to "pick all hardware" and
ignore the "this driver may not work" warnings to get drivers installed.
--

Stacey
Old May 16th 04, 07:40 AM
Phileas

"Stacey" wrote in message
Phileas wrote:

Now look at the driver info and see who's is installed. If it isn't the
newer ones, reinstall drivers but this time point them to the folder on

the
CD where the USB2.0 drivers are located. Sometimes windows tries to fight
you this way installing drivers! I've even had to "pick all hardware" and
ignore the "this driver may not work" warnings to get drivers installed.
--

OK, I fixed it. I clicked on "show a list of drivers in a specific location"
and there was the Nvidia driver in the list.

Phileas

Old May 16th 04, 07:53 AM
Stacey

Phileas wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
Phileas wrote:

Now look at the driver info and see who's is installed. If it isn't the
newer ones, reinstall drivers but this time point them to the folder on

the
CD where the USB2.0 drivers are located. Sometimes windows tries to fight
you this way installing drivers! I've even had to "pick all hardware" and
ignore the "this driver may not work" warnings to get drivers installed.
--

OK, I fixed it. I clicked on "show a list of drivers in a specific
location" and there was the Nvidia driver in the list.
It's so annoying when Windows insists that "the best driver for this
device is already installed"!

Glad this worked. Win98 fought me trying to install the right ones too.

--

Stacey

Cable Modem Question Dan Rather General 1 October 10th 06 12:12 PM
Printer question! Alon Brodski General 3 May 10th 04 05:13 AM
newbie question about dvd-r/cd-r harrypotter General 11 January 11th 04 04:52 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM
Question about LCD and CRT monitors (Samsung variety) Aaron Chan General 3 October 7th 03 02:04 PM